Marble Machine a musical instrument...

Relic61

Reaction score
That certainly took a whole lot of work to put that together & have it work as well as it sounded, given the assumption that it was actually making that music hopefully & not just an illusion.

Just googled it & seen a video of the guy actually making it! Seems real enough now.

Very cool! Check it...

Funnel construction, bearing collection

Bass drum development..

I'd have lost my marbles trying to build something like that man...

Last edited:

Sean '71

Reaction score
Its amazing that something so rough and cumbersome could be so musical and carry a tune

And that thing kept a beat better than some of the drummers Iv'e played with over the years...

Gives new meaning to the term German ingenuity :D

Relic61

Reaction score
Its amazing that something so rough and cumbersome could be so musical and carry a tune

And that thing kept a beat better than some of the drummers Iv'e played with over the years...

Gives new meaning to the term German ingenuity :D

The tightest Drummer I ever played with came attached with a Bass player & they were both controlled by my dear departed friends left hand on the business end of several different model (think more expensive versions) Casio Keyboards!

Ray was 10 years older than me & was raised playing & performing in a musical family that had a local Band that everybody just loved. He took to my guitar playing when I was in my teens & became a mentor that not only coaxed me into singing 3 part harmony when I'd have rather stayed silent & just played guitar but showed me the ropes as he took the time to school this young lad on the finer points of entertaining people & performing. Ray was real good at consistently booking his tight little 3 piece in all the local pubs & gathering places (think VFW & Elks Lodge) for any reason ranging from the Weddings to outdoor summer parties to local Prize Drawings & functions or just about any other occasion that could raise 100 bucks a man.

Anyway, Ray certainly utilized every trick those keyboards had that kept things changing on the fly to the point you forgot you really were playing with an automated keyboard & thought you were simply playing with the tightest rhythm section in the county! Those fvk'n guys ruined me as no drummer has kept decent enough time since!

I never got the chance to tell him but I'll say it here, Darn you & your electronic trickery Ray & thanks for everything. You were the best! Rest in piece dear friend.

Sorry for the detour.
Back to prodigy's that make automated Marble Machines & the like.
Lets see where this thread goes!
Yah.

Last edited:

Sean '71

Reaction score
Drum sampling has come a long way to the present. Early versions had a thin, tinny sound to them.

I remember a time when we only had our drummer "Roland"...a small Roland TR-909 drum machine to keep time for us many, many moons ago in the late 80s', but it acheived what we needed it to do. Roland still resides with me and every now and then he gets dusted off and comes out to play, like an old muso friend having a catch-up jam, whose timing is still as good as ever and who never misses a beat. :D

Now, I'm amazed at what can be done using the likes of Steven Slate Drums and Addictive Drums (not shilling here, just purely amazed).

I am also amazed at the amount of drum sampling that takes place with commercial recordings today, it can be said that at least 95% of commercial releases use some sort of drum sampling today, if only to help improve or thicken up the beat.

With some commercial releases in genres such as hip-hop and EDM, they use only 100% sampled drum tracks where no live acoustic drum tracks appear at all.

Relic61

Reaction score
I would love to see that for some reason! Sick twisted me that I am.
Hopefully it would culminate to a grand crescendo as he smashes it all to pieces in a German accented fit of rage.
All recorded & shared on youtube!
Jah

flatrockmobile

Reaction score
WOW! And I thought the midi controller I built out of a 1937 Hammond organ upper key bed took some thinking, time, and trial and error.

Latest posts