Me & Tony Iommi

vkgphil

Reaction score
Re: Me & Tony Iommi

i ran the crew that built the stages at a facility that ac/dc's blow up your video tour did a show at. that was my best shot at getting to meet him but it never happened :(

they were pretty much not into the meeting of people that night so what can ya do?

still have the pass as a souvenir of that night

SG Lou

Staff Member
Reaction score

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=13629.msg190653#msg190653 date=1188005984]
the live tour dvd/cd combo is being released... they are showing the hour long version on vh1 classic now... recorded at radio city music hall

awesome

:notworthy: :Bangin:
[/quote]

GREAT DVD, Just picked it up and cranked the Surround Sound.Looks awesome on my 42" Wide Plasma Screen TV

phildemetro

Reaction score

Hi!

The monkey guitar is spectacular!
Are the pickups in the monkey SG John Birch or John Diggens pickups?
(do you have the model?)

Are they still available to buy?

Thanks!

Phil

SG Lou

Staff Member
Reaction score

[quote author=phildemetro link=topic=13629.msg210936#msg210936 date=1209928421]
Hi!

The monkey guitar is spectacular!
Are the pickups in the monkey SG John Birch or John Diggens pickups?
(do you have the model?)

Are they still available to buy?

Thanks!

Phil

[/quote]

Phil,
The pickups are original John Birch Hyperflux models.
They have been out of production for years ( 30 or so to be exact )
I searched forever to find a Magnum but never found one so I sent one of the Hyperflux p/u's to John Diggins and had him rewind it to the Magnum's spec's of 24k ohms

I just recently spoke to John and I'm in the process of having him make me a set of his own JB Stlye pickups .

In between other jobs I plan on making a copy of "Old Boy" for myself.

OldBoy.jpg

This is JayDee's pick ups:

jaydee-1-1.jpg

suicidehummer

Reaction score

So how did you get in contact with his assistant?

I would do anything to have an experience like that with Angus.

Fiery Father

Reaction score

this thread is awesome. congrats on meeting him and excellent story telling.

SurfGuitar141

Reaction score

Brucewayne131....

Fantastic story, and I too have been a big fan of Tony Iommi for many years.....

One question about you though, in your photo it looks like you are wearing a fireman's shirt, is that by chance your occupation...?

Pani

Reaction score

Maybe one day I'll be able to meet Angus Young

miniangus

Reaction score

Congrats on meeting him. You must have felt different when u were in the room with him

beatles1909

Reaction score

way to go Lou!
I know Exactly how you feel, I have met Paul McCartney & spent about 15 mins. with him!
He is my all time hero being I'm a lefty!
All because of the Beatles & Ed Sullivan it made this 14 year old in 1964 realize what I wanted to do.
I managed to spend over 40 years in some form or other in the music business until last year when I retired!
I still play bass and picked up a couple of guitars to play as a hobby!
Life Is Good!

PS I also met Brain Wilson another one of my heros! ;)

minotaur

Reaction score
SG Lou, I'm really late to this party, but I enjoyed your story enormously. Can you post up some pics of the day you met Tony Iommi, and definitely the guitar you speak of that he admired? It seems that they don't show up anymore, I suppose from the switch over to the new format here. Thanks!

One other thing, it seems you really know the Iommi SG infomation...do you know if if he only had one SG stolen from him, and was it the airport one, or did he have one stolen from backstage as well, do you know? I might have the information crossed in my mind from past internet research, and I mentioned a guitar stolen from him backstage (I thought in Detroit) on another thread here (you posted up on that thread, too)...I don't want to put the wrong information out there. Cheers

SG Lou

Staff Member
Reaction score
SG Lou, I'm really late to this party, but I enjoyed your story enormously. Can you post up some pics of the day you met Tony Iommi, and definitely the guitar you speak of that he admired? It seems that they don't show up anymore, I suppose from the switch over to the new format here. Thanks!

One other thing, it seems you really know the Iommi SG infomation...do you know if if he only had one SG stolen from him, and was it the airport one, or did he have one stolen from backstage as well, do you know? I might have the information crossed in my mind from past internet research, and I mentioned a guitar stolen from him backstage (I thought in Detroit) on another thread here (you posted up on that thread, too)...I don't want to put the wrong information out there. Cheers

The picture's are back up in this thread. When the change over happened between the 2 programs, this new one did not recognize the old HTML code.
As for your question, I know of 2 SG's that were stole from Tony.
Yes one of them was the 64 "Monkey" which was stolen from the airport and recovered and the other one is the Wine Red Custom Shop Iommi SG which was swiped off of the stage in Germany a couple of years ago. The CS SG has yet the be recovered.

Tony M

Reaction score
What a wonderful experience that must have been. To have all the work that went into the building that guitar acknowledged and complimented by the person who inspired it! You have "wowed" me and I do not "wow" easily.
:applause::laugh2::applause::laugh2::applause:

Latest posts