Metric drop in roller bridge!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Lookee here:
https://www.allparts.com/GB-0596-003-Black-Roller-Tunematic_p_4720.html
31l1NpSYxOL.jpg

On order. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Reaction score
I was just looking at roller bridges at the 2016 Guitarlington Show here in Texas.

Needless to say, I have two electrics and I'm going to be replacing the original bridges with Rollers !

I know that Guitars are a breed apart, However, I've been making my own fishing tackle since I was a teenager and all the best ocean rods have roller guides ! There is just no comparison.

I wonder if anyone has considered modern high performance ceramics for the roller on those bridges.

The new ceramics are soooo smoooth and almost impossible to nick or scratch, just sayin'
RobertG

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I was just looking at roller bridges at the 2016 Guitarlington Show here in Texas.

Needless to say, I have two electrics and I'm going to be replacing the original bridges with Rollers !

I know that Guitars are a breed apart, However, I've been making my own fishing tackle since I was a teenager and all the best ocean rods have roller guides ! There is just no comparison.

I wonder if anyone has considered modern high performance ceramics for the roller on those bridges.

The new ceramics are soooo smoooth and almost impossible to nick or scratch, just sayin'
RobertG
I'd be interested in how the inside works as a friction surface. I.e. how easy they let the rollers roll.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
If roller bridges actually were roller bridges they would be low friction options. But they are not rollers, they are wheels, and wheell axles don't roll, they slide in bearings. So the coefficient of friction of a "roller" bridge is most likely no lower than that of a conventional bridge. They are both metal-against-metal sliding connections.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
If roller bridges actually were roller bridges they would be low friction options. But they are not rollers, they are wheels, and wheell axles don't roll, they slide in bearings. So the coefficient of friction of a "roller" bridge is most likely no lower than that of a conventional bridge. They are both metal-against-metal sliding connections.
My experience with tuning stability says otherwise.

Reaction score
I'd be interested in how the inside works as a friction surface. I.e. how easy they let the rollers roll.
I have ceramic bearings in some of my best "and most expensive" fishing reels !

They are impervious to heat. Are basically frictionless, and the bearings roll way better than any of my high end Abec stainless steel bearings.

I think they would roll super smoothly. However, cost effectiveness would be the biggest hurdle.

Good ceramic is not cheap.
10 years from now they'll probably be a dime a dozen.
Lol...
RobertG

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score

They are impervious to heat. Are basically frictionless, and the bearings roll way better than any of my high end Abec stainless steel bearings.

I think they would roll super smoothly. However, cost effectiveness would be the biggest hurdle.

Lol...
RobertG
Yeah it's always interesting to see where things head.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting

Lol...
RobertG

No need for that to be expensive - in fact in terms of material cost, they will be cheaper than metal. These ceramic electrical insulators are basically what you are talking about (with a bit of redesign), and they are almost too cheap to charge for.

$_35.JPG

Latest posts