My 1965 Gibson SG Special Cherry wide nut chrome Vibrola

edselman

Reaction score
I have a question. I have a ‘65 Melody Maker with the exact setup as your Special, Lightning bolt bridge and short Vibrola. Like you my MM has a very shallow break angle over the bridge. I have to keep my action a wee bit high to add to the downward force and keep the bridge from sliding backwards. Do you or anyone else experience anything like that?

Anon7

Reaction score
I bought my 65 SG Special last April. The first Gibson (or any electric guitar I've ever had) with single coils; P-90's.

Being a Townsend fan I took poetic license and got a small pickguard 65 SG. It's exactly like yours except mine has the nickle lightning bolt bridge/ wrap around tailpeice. But I can't get enough of those P-90's! Oh they sound so good!

I would love to know your serial number? Mine is 2688_ _. I can't tell whether my fretboard is brazilian or Indian?

crashbelt

Reaction score
Welcome - such great guitars. We'd love to see a picture of yours.

Anon7

Reaction score
1965 SG Special. Forty years
of playing humbuckers and an occasional Strat but, those
P-90's rock!

46A69B93-AFA4-478E-BA74-B085F55CB2E3.jpeg C798FFA7-DCA6-4477-A900-BC9907BC6FE8.jpeg

Pointyfan

Reaction score
I bought my 65 SG Special last April. The first Gibson (or any electric guitar I've ever had) with single coils; P-90's.

Being a Townsend fan I took poetic license and got a small pickguard 65 SG. It's exactly like yours except mine has the nickle lightning bolt bridge/ wrap around tailpeice. But I can't get enough of those P-90's! Oh they sound so good!

I would love to know your serial number? Mine is 2688_ _. I can't tell whether my fretboard is brazilian or Indian?
Beautiful guitar, Anon. Pretty sure all the pre 1968 fretboards were Brazilian...

beerbelly

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and great playing. Aren't these old SGs wonderful? I'm addicted to the low action, light weight and those awesome P90s.

MR D

Reaction score
Sharp Guitar, Congrats
WOW, must be nice !
I am still waiting for definitive proof when the change to the 19TH Fret Neck Joint actually took place.
The pics you posted looks like the NJ is @ 21st...my $$$ always been on the 1966 SG's w/Angel-Wing PG, but I have yet to see one in person (that I know).

d40390

Reaction score
Hi all thought I'd finally make a post about my SG. My first professional standard guitar was a 1968 Gibson SG Special bought when I was 16. I used to plug it straight into my '70s Marshall JMP stack. Sounded incredible. I don’t remember thinking it was vintage or anyone making a deal about it then. Back then you just got what was available in shops or privately. I traded it for a Strat a couple of years later because I was obsessed with Jimi at the time and couldn't afford two guitars.

I really missed the ’68 so it so I got one of the SG Classics about ten years ago to fill the gap which is excellent (with a 50s wiring mod), but not the same as an original. I still have the JMP stack. :)But I still hankered after an original vintage SG Special. I recently bought this 1965 SG Special. It’s in overall pretty good condition, it has some dings, a few bare spots and plenty of lacquer checking over the still vibrant cherry finish.

The specs are early ’65 transition in that it was the wider nut 1.69” (43.11mm) but with chrome bridge and tailpiece. The body is a one-piece slab of Honduran Mahogany, as is the neck. The fingerboard is a richly hued Brazilian rosewood with some lovely dark red hints in strong daylight. Shows signs of some rough fret finishing and tool markings other scars. Pretty shiny and waxy and smooth.

It has the short Vibrola tailpiece and compensated lightening bar bridge in chrome the original strip-mounted Kluson Deluxe button tuners. Incredibly low action. The bridge has had string grooves cut into it. Pots and electronics are original with no signs of molestation. The pickguard is a bit warped, but nothing too Dali Clocks.

The P-90s are magnificent, especially the bridge which is perfect. Lots of top end and chimey, they retain the top end as you roll back and get lovely warm glassy cleans. Into a gainy amp it has that sound. Pots have a quick tail off so adjustment is quite fine in a live setting. The neck pickup isn’t as flutey as a Les Paul or as twangy and hollow as Strat. It’s a sort of in between tone, capable of some variety.

It is set-up to perfection with a super low action, smooth frets lower over the years but still plenty to play with. The original compensated bridge isn’t too bad, but I have Tonepros AVT2 wraparound on it currently which enables perfect intonation and the notes ring out really truly.
Hits the scales at 6.6lb and balances perfectly.

I made a Pete Townsend inspired sound demo of it, here:

Hope you like the pics

View attachment 44619
View attachment 44618
View attachment 44620
View attachment 44622
View attachment 44617
View attachment 44621
View attachment 44623
View attachment 44624
View attachment 44625
View attachment 44626

Thank you sir. It pairs well with my SG's. I've read that Ken Fisher of Trainwreck fame designed the Rocket II. It's a big fat sounding amp, with fantastic tremolo. The OP's post wants me want a HiWatt now!

d40390

Reaction score
Love the pics. I have the exact same SG. Original owner.