My '64 Junior

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
As promised, here's before and after pics. Replaced the tuners, pickguard, pots and wiring, bridge and vibrola. Original pickguard and wraparound are in the case, and the original P90 is it as badass as it was in 1964. Thanx to all for the invaluable advice and support, being a Fender man for the last 30-odd years caused aggravation and some comical confusion, but seems to be all good now, except... my Allen wrench will not fit in between the bridge and the comb. As far as I can tell it's fairly standard, so do they make an allen wrench with a shorter small end, or is there some secret to setting my intonation that I'm unaware of? Anyway here's the pics, as many as I can fit. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20220129_084844.jpg
    20220129_084844.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220201_075212.jpg
    20220201_075212.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220129_084600.jpg
    20220129_084600.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220129_103614.jpg
    20220129_103614.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220201_074954.jpg
    20220201_074954.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220129_095111.jpg
    20220129_095111.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220201_075232.jpg
    20220201_075232.jpg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220201_075023.jpg
    20220201_075023.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Great job, thanks for posting the pictures of the outcome. It always warms my heart to see one brought back from the brink like this. It should be a good player for many decades to come. :cheers:

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
Great job, thanks for posting the pictures of the outcome. It always warms my heart to see one brought back from the brink like this. It should be a good player for many decades to come. :cheers:
Thanks man plays like a dream and sings like a screaming eagle, that old P90 hasn't lost a bit of its tone. Gotta deal with my intonation issues tho!

DrBGood

Reaction score
Looks crazy good !

But I don't get how that wraparound will stay in place with the Vibrola wiggling it back and forth. Wouldn't a fixed bridge be more stable like on this one.

010126083_01_1280x1920.jpg

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Yeah, you may need to change the bridge to something that can't move and has provisions for adjustment of the individual saddles to really nail intonation down. That stop bar was designed to be a tailpiece with the pins holding against string tension to keep it in place. With the string tension pulling on the Vibrola, the bridge is only prevented from moving towards the neck, but will have some freedom to move the other way. I would only expect it to stay in place until the strings pull it backwards. It should work OK until you sort out a new bridge configuration. It will certainly work well enough to give you a taste and motivate you to get it sorted sooner rather than later. :naughty:

Can you get good intonation at all? Or is it just out no matter what you do?

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
Yeah, you may need to change the bridge to something that can't move and has provisions for adjustment of the individual saddles to really nail intonation down. That stop bar was designed to be a tailpiece with the pins holding against string tension to keep it in place. With the string tension pulling on the Vibrola, the bridge is only prevented from moving towards the neck, but will have some freedom to move the other way. I would only expect it to stay in place until the strings pull it backwards. It should work OK until you sort out a new bridge configuration. It will certainly work well enough to give you a taste and motivate you to get it sorted sooner rather than later. :naughty:

Can you get good intonation at all? Or is it just out no matter what you do?
Yes it will intonate, it's close now and I've got plenty of room to get it to where it needs to be... The problem is I can't get the damned Allen wrench in between the comb and the set screw for the intonation on the bridge!! Regarding a different bridge setup... this setup is how Juniors came from the factory back in the day, so it must be workable. I rarely use the wiggle stick anyway oh, just a bit here and there. Mostly wanted it for cosmetic reasons... It originally came that way, it looks gorgeous and it hides almost all of the fuckery done by whichever previous owner chopped it all up.

Bob L

Reaction score
Your 64 and mine share a history of lousy modifications. I put the vibrola back on mine for similar reasons as yours.

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
Your 64 and mine share a history of lousy modifications. I put the vibrola back on mine for similar reasons as yours.
Are you able to get an allen wrench at the set screw to intonate? Mine is too close.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Yes it will intonate, it's close now and I've got plenty of room to get it to where it needs to be... The problem is I can't get the damned Allen wrench in between the comb and the set screw for the intonation on the bridge!! Regarding a different bridge setup... this setup is how Juniors came from the factory back in the day, so it must be workable. I rarely use the wiggle stick anyway oh, just a bit here and there. Mostly wanted it for cosmetic reasons... It originally came that way, it looks gorgeous and it hides almost all of the fuckery done by whichever previous owner chopped it all up.
Since it'll likely be a one time thing, you could maybe turn the grub screws with pliers. Either way, make sure you loosen those strings before playing with those tiny screws. If you don't you risk scrapping the threads in the bridge.

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
Since it'll likely be a one time thing, you could maybe turn the grub screws with pliers. Either way, make sure you loosen those strings before playing with those tiny screws. If you don't you risk scrapping the threads in the bridge.
Thanks for the advice, didn't think of that. What I did think of is going to the hardware store and getting a couple more Allen wrenches and cutting the short end in half so it will fit. Or maybe somebody makes Allen wrenches with a little short end on it, I don't know.

Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Before I took a chance on buggering the screws, I would take an allen wrench to the bench grinder and shorten it as needed to get access. Just be sure to keep a dixie cup of water on hand to dip the tool in to cool it frequently so as not to remove the temper that makes it hard enough to keep from deforming under load.

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
Before I took a chance on buggering the screws, I would take an allen wrench to the bench grinder and shorten it as needed to get access. Just be sure to keep a dixie cup of water on hand to dip the tool in to cool it frequently so as not to remove the temper that makes it hard enough to keep from deforming under load.
Thanks Nigel, once again good advice.

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
Seriously you guys?? Leaving my dumbass to figure out for myself that if I only mash the whammy bar right down to the body I can get the Allen wrench right at the set screw no problem lolol only to find, as you can see in the picture if anyone's looking, that with the set screw almost all the way out my g-string is still chronically flat harmonically... and it seems to me that what will fix that is putting the original bridge, compensated for a wound G, back on. I'll keep ya posted.

Attachments

• 20220201_225204.jpg
    20220201_225204.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 13

DrBGood

Reaction score
The guitar is in your hands, you should be the one coming up with that solution. Had I had it in front of me, I would probably never have asked the question. Strings lose all their tension too, so two birds with one stone :)

njpaulc

Reaction score
The screw on the treble side looks a heck of a lot longer than the screw on the bass side. You can unstring the guitar, take the string mount portion off the Maestro, wrap the strings around the bridge and set the intonation that way, then put it all back together.

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
The guitar is in your hands, you should be the one coming up with that solution. Had I had it in front of me, I would probably never have asked the question. Strings lose all their tension too, so two birds with one stone :)
As I said before Dr, I've been a dyed-in-the-wool Fender man for over 30 years now. Gibsons are a mystery to me. I'm figuring it out as I go...

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
The screw on the treble side looks a heck of a lot longer than the screw on the bass side. You can unstring the guitar, take the string mount portion off the Maestro, wrap the strings around the bridge and set the intonation that way, then put it all back together.
Yeah the screw is way longer because the intonation on the high side is still flat!