NAD: Classic 30

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
So I was wandering around ebay looking for headphone amps and stumbled across a Classic 30 with a starting bid of $250. Made the bid and then kinda forgot about it, figuring there's NO WAY it'll go for $250. Someone will snipe me. Then the email came in that I'd won it! Woohoo, drove down to Colorado Springs to pick it up. It's in great shape and comes with retainers for the 12AX7s and a tube tamer for the EL84s!

I'll take better pictures tomorrow when the sun is out.

1Hg3iv6.jpg

f7Fvdp1.jpg

I'm sure I'll do some 12AX7 swapping on it this week, since I know what I like in this circuit. The boost switch, btw, is freaking unusable. Man, talk about a scooped hollow sounding mess.

Came with a footswitch but I think the reverb switch is busted. I got spare switches, I'll get it fixed up. Then it's going to my friend's 14 year old daughter if she wants it.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
What? SPEAK UP! I can't hear you over this amp! It's quite loud. I had it on the clean channel on 2 and hit a power chord and the windows were rattling. I'm way too used to the master volume on my C50s I think. :cheers:

I haven't put my P90s through it yet. I was playing my '70s trib with dirty fingers. Judging by how good my C50s sound with P90s I expect that this amp will sound quite good when I put the P90s through it.

Was getting plenty of crunch on the normal channel (remember no master volume) but I think I'll have to wait til the sun is up and all the normal people are at work to play with crunch on the normal channel.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Seriously considering adding a master volume. I WANT a crunchy clean channel at something other than max volumes. I guess I've been spoiled by my Classic 50s.

Reaction score
I have a classic 30. The old tweed version. I think it sounds great as long as you stay away from the boost and "dirty channel". Mine gets a bit noisy when I crank the reverb over 5. Otherwise it's rather quiet, from notice, otherwise it's LOUD 30 watts...
Miss a tremolo though.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
This one is tweed, it's just black tweed. Before the horrible "Cyclops" models came out. :)

I agree, the boost sounds just awful. The key to the lead channel is putting a nice NOS GE JAN 12AX7WA in V2 in there. Goes from horribly strident to ripping velvet in one simple tube change. That and a speaker upgrade, I'm not a big Blue Marvel fan.

And it IS loud. Holy hell, at 2 on the clean channel I'm waking up the whole neighborhood. Gotta get a master volume knob in it to get those clean channel crunch tones I'm so spoiled by from my Classic 50s.

Dave_Death

Reaction score
I should say that I just used my Classic 30 with an MXR Distortion+ script reissue (running on a battery) into the clean channel and it sounded pretty good. I had the gain on the pedal maxed, I can't remember the level setting. Tuned to C standard the amp managed to put out a decent amount of low end. I have the Eminence Wizard speaker in mine, otherwise it is stock. Guitar is my Epiphone '58 Korina Explorer (highly modified, with BKP Nailbomb set, new harness, bridge, etc etc).

Latest posts