Neck profile on 70s Tribute

rapaul76

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a member for a while now and am looking to get my first SG. I've been eyeing a 2013 70s Tribute. I'll have to order one on line as I can't try one locally. What is the 70s neck profile like in relation to the 50s and 60s profiles.....in the middle? I love satin finishes so that's not an issue for me. Also, I've never played a guitar with a volute before. I know what they are but does it effect your ability to chord near the nut?

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I think the "70s profile is more marketing hype than an accurate description.. as NONE of the 70s SGs have a 1 11/16 nut width..which means the profile could never be reproduced with any kind of accuracy to begin with..it should be fuller than the "60s" profile..plus, having 3 70s Gibsons currently and almost a 100 in my life, there is no definitive "70s" profile..they're slightly different, and so has been every one I've ever owned or seen..
The volute is a non issue for me...

Lhvr

Reaction score
Almost none - the "The SG" was introduced in 1979 and it was the first SG which had 1 11/16 (followed all by all other SGs in the 80ies) ... but of course you are right. The 70ies SGs have 1 9/16 (which I love so much), but all of the neck feel different.

alexander paul

Reaction score
my 72 sg has one of the thinnest neck i've played/seen in my life... i'd hate to buy a guitar i never played... just my 2 cents worth...

postman7-guitar.gif

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Almost none - the "The SG" was introduced in 1979 and it was the first SG which had 1 11/16 (followed all by all other SGs in the 80ies) ... but of course you are right. The 70ies SGs have 1 9/16 (which I love so much), but all of the neck feel different.
Yeah, figured it may have crept in by then, 80's for sure..I've never even held one of those in my hands, so couldn't say for sure, was speaking from the ones I'd actually owned or played.:thumb:

Huntroll

Reaction score
I like mine

I have a 2013 70's tribute vintage sunburst.

It had a few flaws so I ended up getting it pretty cheap - $659.

It had Min-Etune that I removed and put on standard tuners.

It came with dirty fingers pickups and now has settled in with standard chrome Gibson 57 humbuckers, (swapped w/a Les Paul).

I actually like the volute, it doesn't get in the way, it seems to add a feeling of strength to the neck and may help the tone on open/full length stringed chord frams.

But to me, the Min-Etune hardware added too much weight down there.

I'd say get it, most likely you'll like it although you may have to change a few things like I did.

I almost forgot the most important thing - Its gotta have WITCH HAT KNOBS !!!

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I almost forgot the most important thing - Its gotta have WITCH HAT KNOBS !!!
OR Speed knobs, as more real '70's had them..ie.very late '72-79..
I think the 70's Tribute was very loosely based on the '74-'77 SG Special, which had speed knobs..
But NO witchhat knob hate from this guy!! I LOVE 'em!:)

I mean I really, REALLY love 'em!:naughty:

dampsneaker

Reaction score
I've got one too. Like Kris and others have stated, it's not really much like an actual '70's SG but it's a nice guitar anyway. I got mine new for $539.00 at the end of the year Gibson blowout sale from Zzounds last year. Didn't have the min-Etune gizmo. Had regular Grovers. The neck is very thin which I like. I'm never even aware of the volute when I'm playing. Glad it's there though if it adds some support to that thin neck. At this point the only thing left original on mine is the wood, fret wire and truss rod. All the stock parts are in a shoe box (except for the pups...(Hey, Shreddy! :wave:)). Go for it if the price is right and if you like a slim neck. Mine ain't going anywhere; it's a keeper. :yesway:

Yikes, I see that Musician's Friend (they're not really your friend) are still getting $899 for them.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Col. Mustard has a '70's Tribute too, but the 2012, that's the one I was referring to, with the half guard, mini-hums, large headstock with volute..that's the one which is more based on the '74-'77 Specials..but Dampsneaker's model is a cool one too! (any thoughts on a pickguard?)

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Col. Mustard has a '70's Tribute too, but the 2012, that's the one I was referring to, with the half guard, mini-hums, large headstock with volute..that's the one which is more based on the '74-'77 Specials..but Dampsneaker's model is a cool one too! (any thoughts on a pickguard?)

yea, I didn't mention mine because I don't think it's what he's referring
to. The 2013 model with the Dirty Fingers p'ups, mini eTune etc is a whole different animal. I didn't think they put a volute on that model.
Mine has one, and I like it. It doesn't get in the way. and it was supposed
to strengthen the weak spot at the headstock joint.

and +1 for Witch Hats!

rapaul76

Reaction score
First off, thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate your taking the time to lay it all out for me.

I'm a little leary about purchasing it without playing it because I'm very particular about neck profiles. I had a '60s Tribute Les Paul that had a 60's slim profile neck and it was thinner than my American Standard Strat. I ended up selling it because I didn't like the feel. I also have a Les Paul Traditional Pro II which also has a 60's profile but it's much beefier and a dream to play (my #1). Definitely thinner than the 50s profile but no where near as thin as the 60s Les Paul.

When I saw that the 70's Tribute SG had a medium profile I thought it might be between the 50-60's profiles and fit my needs, but from what I'm reading above I'm not so sure now.

Maybe I'll just have to get a SG Standard :dude:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I still don't get it about why a neck shape would be a deal breaker...

To me, you buy a guitar based on the sound you want. Then you practice
with it until your hand is familiar enough with it to work it. Letting your
hand dictate what guitar you play seems like allowing important career
decisions to be made for you by a two year old.

But I'm a person who owns a number of guitars and basses, and each of them
has a different neck ... I own three basses, Precision, Jazz, and fretless Jazz.
I own four acoustics and four electrics, and they're all different. I never think
about that, I just play them. If I intend to play one at an upcoming gig, I'll be
sure to practice with that one before I do. I choose which one to play based on
what they sound like for the song I intend to perform. My hand doesn't get to
tell me what it wants to play. It has to do what my heart says. That's the way
I think it ought to be. My hand doesn't mind. It adjusts, and adapts.

But I know I'm nearly alone in this attitude. How many posts do we see where someone
wants to hear opinions of neck shapes of particular year classes of particular models
before buying one blind online. And how many reviews do we read where someone says
they returned a guitar they bought because of the neck shape? So I know a lot
of players feel this way. But I don't get it.

rapaul76

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. To me, I buy the guitar based on feel. I can always change electronics to taste but I can't change the feel. However, I acknowledge that everyone is different. I don't want to have to fight with the guitar and adjust my playing. I want it to feel comfortable so I'm not cramping my hands or getting fatigued.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Hey, a lot of players say the same kind of thing... I'm probably the one
that's out of step. *grins That would not be unusual.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
After almost 20 years of doing assembly work on tedious parts, I can say that I cannot bond with, and will get hand cramps from the super thin "shredder" type necks..and would most definitely deter me from owning a guitar with that kind of neck..

Latest posts