Need help identify this body

Titansjls07

Reaction score
Hello, new here and this is my first SG body. Someone was giving it away for free so I found a new project. Have rebuilt guitars before but not sure what I have here. Any ideas, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated. I think it might be a Kay or similar brand because of the notch below the bolt on neck placement. Was going to rebuild it back to former glory but not sure about obtaining parts and working on a small budget.

Attachments

• SG Body 1.jpeg
    SG Body 1.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31
  • SG Body 2.jpeg
    SG Body 2.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SG Body 3.jpeg
    SG Body 3.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 24
  • SG Body 4.jpeg
    SG Body 4.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 31

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
That neck pocket looks like it was for a Bolt On neck, that means probably an Epiphone or some other maker. From your perspective of trying to make a nice guitar for minimal dollars, this is probably a good thing. Bolt on necks are common and easier to fit. You can literally do anything you want with this, limited only by your skill and imagination. Use whatever parts fit your needs, but I would steer clear of expensive parts driven by the collector market. They will add nothing to your project, and used parts or new from a supplier like Stewart MacDonald will give you a really nice guitar.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Considering it's a Michael (Bolton) that has the pot cavities front routed I'm not sure there is any former glory to restore it to so I'd just put whatever I fancy on there instead of chasing original parts. Anything will fit, especially since there are no holes for bridge and tailpiece posts (so you can go metric or imperial) For that reason you can also go with a Fender neck if you like. Just tailor it to your preferences. Personally I' start with filling the front route and cover that with veneer but that's just my taste. Can definitely be a fun project.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I’m guessing by location of bridge holes that it’s a bass, Teisco or Kay. 64075DFB-9303-4199-936A-C2C27B9E839B.jpeg

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Even though it has everything I hate and in spades I have to say it looks pretty cool.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I don’t know what the necks were made out of but it looks like laminated bamboo
50BDF46C-9276-4FF1-A5D9-70BB7F3E39E1.jpeg AEE41733-54CD-47F9-9224-A384144AD51B.jpeg 46712F18-A4E6-454E-9ED4-50B40F622E8A.jpeg

Titansjls07

Reaction score
I'm most likely going to strip this thing down bare, is there anything stopping me from turnig this into a guitar? Just got to find a neck to fit correct? Also, finding that type of pickguard isnt going to be easy. Thank you all for the info as well not sure i would have spotted about the bridge.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Not a thing in the world to stop you that I know of. You are basically doing a custom build, so as long as you select your components wisely and fit them up well, you should have a great instrument at the end. It shouldn't be too costly to get a custom pickguard cut to any shape you want from just about any material you want.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
If you're going to strip it anyway you can adjust the neck pocket as well while you're at it so I don't see a problem. Pickguard would be nigh in impossible so probably has to be custom made, by you or ordered. At the same time, why not fill the control cavity and back route it then as well? (and put that damned output jack on the side where it should be...)

Titansjls07

Reaction score
If you're going to strip it anyway you can adjust the neck pocket as well while you're at it so I don't see a problem. Pickguard would be nigh in impossible so probably has to be custom made, by you or ordered. At the same time, why not fill the control cavity and back route it then as well? (and put that damned output jack on the side where it should be...)
i might just do all of these, havent thought about filling the control cavity in but that sounds like a pretty good plan. I'm not a huge fan of having a plate over the controls anyways. Thanks for the ideas!

Latest posts