New Bands Don't Play Gibsons

NMA

Reaction score
Well, this video ought to start some good conversation around here:

It's worth watching the whole thing, but to sum up, the guy simply states that all the young new bands at festivals like Coachella are playing Fenders (Strats, Teles, Mustangs, and a lot of JazzMasters), and not any Gibsons. Gibsons are not the guitar of choice for young people.

He gives a great example of signature guitars being made by Gibson and Fender. Gibson are releasing Gene Simmons and Dave Mustaine (Megadeath) signature gear (remeber those guys?), while Fender releases a H.E.R. signature Strat. (I've seen that guitar....WOW. I know some of H.E.R. music, it wouldn't make me personally run out and buy her guitar, but the guitar itself is a beauty...and reasonably priced at just $1,200!) Point is Gibson is not reaching younger players. Dave Mustaine signature guitar? Come on. H.E.R. Strat? Young people are saying yes.

1650844788532.png

I think the video is correct on a number of things. Bottom line is Gibson has not even tried to reach younger players, so no young bands are playing SGs or Les Pauls (certainly not in the numbers that Fender guitars are being played by younger bands). Gibson has no entry level guitars that are affordable for young people (Epiphones are Epiphones, not Gibsons), while Fender has fantastic affordable Made In Mexico guitars that say Fender on the headstock and are great guitars.

The video is worth a watch.

OldDog

Reaction score
If you don't want an Epi -which I believe to be a Gibson- you can buy Juniors, Tributes, and Studio models that come in well below the tarted up models. Granted, Fender has the lower price points well covered with far more product. Just an alternative view, but Gibson is somewhat shallow on the lower price points, while Fender is shallow on the higher price points. Not that you can't buy a very expensive Fender. You can. It's all pretty subjective because everyone has their price point. Gibson has always been considered a premium brand and appeals to people who can tolerate that higher price point. That is the same product strategy that makes a Mercedes more expensive than a Chevy. Everything is becoming more and more expensive so even those entry level guitars are getting rather pricy.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
if successful bands with young performers are playing only
Fenders (and/or other non Gibbies), that leaves an entry point for even younger bands that aren't successful yet. Give 'em SGs... give 'em Firebirds, give 'em Vees and
maybe they'll be the NBT next year, because they sound different.
*grins

That's a lot of what it's about IMHO. Sound different from what was last year's success story and maybe you'll get the nod. When all the young and the restless are playing Les Pauls, then a band with a Strat and an SG might find favor... as long as they do their part.

Ya gotta have the songs. If you've got the songs, you can play Gretsch, Rickenbacker and Hofner and no one will object.

but what do I know? I play mostly acoustic and bass. Pro acoustic players use Martins and Taylors and a few Gibbies...
My electric of choice is the SG, and the Tele, and my Epi ES 339.
Pro bassists use what they want to.
Onstage2010 close.jpg

Bob Womack

Reaction score
Give it a couple of years. The pendulum will swing back. Everybody looks around and says, "Oh, crap! I'm out of step here. Better get the in-style guitar." A little while later, "Oh, crap! I look just like everyone else. Better get a different guitar." How many times has it swung back and forth in my lifetime?

Bob

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
I read through the thread on the Gear Page the video is derived from...it was an exhausting 44 pages long. I learned that Gibson is racist because they only put Gibson on the USA made ones. Only boomers play Gibson because they're all rich, and when they all die, Gibson will go out of business. The Les Paul is your grandaddies guitar. (that one is particularly funny seeing as one of the oldest most successful farts in all of music plays a tele. (Keith Richards) Mostly name calling, and wild over generalization. The only point I could agree with was that Gibson needs an entry level line. I think they consider Epiphone that line, but some people really want Gibson on the headstock. Fender produces a lower cost guitar that still says Fender on the headstock, smart move on their part. Another point was that Gibson's are more costly to produce, therefore more pricey. All in all, I'm not sure one festival, with one sub-set of fans and music is reflective of a trend. As an interesting addendum, one poster in the very silly thread posted corporate earnings for all the major instrument makers. Yamaha is on top with 3+ BILLON in sales, number two is Gibson with 1.7 Billion, Fender is clocking slightly over 500 million. Hmmm.

njpaulc

Reaction score
Remember Punk, when all the bands played Jazz Masters, Jaguars, Mustangs and Mosrites because they were the cheapest used guitars you could buy.

NMA

Reaction score
Remember Punk, when all the bands played Jazz Masters, Jaguars, Mustangs and Mosrites because they were the cheapest used guitars you could buy.

And a lot of them punks and post-punks - The Clash, The Death Cult, Bow Wow Wow, Theater Of Hate, Orange Juice, Simple Minds, Adam and the Ants... - used Gretsches. It was explained that Gretsch guitars in England at that time were cheap, considered useless rock-a-billy country western guitars, and could be found by the dozens in pawn shops. You watch videos of early '80s post punk bands and you are likely to see a Gretsch in there.

Siamese

Reaction score
Yeah, Gibsons are your dad's guitar.

Things change. Check out Rick Beato's video about younger people not liking music as much as their parents. I'm a baby boomer and can relate to what he's saying.

Last edited:

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
Really tired of these YouTube “influencers”, there are at least 10 of them who posted the same topic within the past few days. As far as the notion at hand, I personally think it’s a bunch of straight up BS, ya’ll are entitled to your own opinions of course.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Here's an interesting comparison:

Fender has 9 Strats, 6 Teles, 1 Jaguar, 1 Jazzmaster, all of their Player Lead II & IIIs and Duo Sonics (11 of them), and 2 Mustangs for under $1000, many sitting around $800. That's 30 different models to choose from before you even get to talking about colors.

Gibson has the Les Paul Tribute for $999. That's it.

No wonder Fender is killing it with younger players.

DanB

Reaction score
I agree with all the posts here. I think Gibson needs to start making again Gibson models with a price point well below $ 1,000.00. A few years back, Gibson sold its new Les Paul Juniors and SG Juniors for about $700.00, akin to the price of a Made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster. Then for whatever reason they drastically raised the prices, a new Gibson Les Paul Jr. Currently costs around $ 1,600.00! That's the same price as a Made in America Fender Strat. I know Gibson has Epiphone, but even some of their models are getting pricey as compared to a Squier Strategy or Tele. If they lower the prices, they will get the younger set back.

MR D

Reaction score
Well, this video ought to start some good conversation around here:

It's worth watching the whole thing, but to sum up, the guy simply states that all the young new bands at festivals like Coachella are playing Fenders (Strats, Teles, Mustangs, and a lot of JazzMasters), and not any Gibsons. Gibsons are not the guitar of choice for young people.

He gives a great example of signature guitars being made by Gibson and Fender. Gibson are releasing Gene Simmons and Dave Mustaine (Megadeath) signature gear (remeber those guys?), while Fender releases a H.E.R. signature Strat. (I've seen that guitar....WOW. I know some of H.E.R. music, it wouldn't make me personally run out and buy her guitar, but the guitar itself is a beauty...and reasonably priced at just $1,200!) Point is Gibson is not reaching younger players. Dave Mustaine signature guitar? Come on. H.E.R. Strat? Young people are saying yes.

View attachment 47921

I think the video is correct on a number of things. Bottom line is Gibson has not even tried to reach younger players, so no young bands are playing SGs or Les Pauls (certainly not in the numbers that Fender guitars are being played by younger bands). Gibson has no entry level guitars that are affordable for young people (Epiphones are Epiphones, not Gibsons), while Fender has fantastic affordable Made In Mexico guitars that say Fender on the headstock and are great guitars.

The video is worth a watch.

This next statement MIGHT hav a lot to do w/this phenomena: New players just starting out are usually broke as bad jokes....and can not afford/dont want a $2,000.00 GIBSON Standard guitar that is going to get the $#!T beaten out of it IN BAR-ROOM GIGS OR on the road ! True? IDK, but MIM Fenders are definitely cheap.......w/poplar or plywood bodies and usually cheap crap electronics. ala S E Asian Marshall amps. They are NOT my cup of Whiskey and IMO they are dreadfully THIN sounding, but that just me and my life-long distaste of single-coil pickup's and Poplar/plywood body guitar tones (Plasticity !)

TONE-Wise, most players know that On an H-bucker Gibson, all that is necessary to get a 'Thinner' sound is to roll the Bass down everywhere (amp/pedals/axe) and use a split-coil, w/treble-boost, Humbucker tone to emulate a Fender type tone...IMO, its nothing to do with the actual Guitar OR tone, its the price of any decent new GIBSON. To address this, it MIGHT be why GIBSON started making the Studio Faded's and more economical low end GIBSON's etc etc....actually, IDK why GIBSON USA does anything..... but that makes a li'l sense.....

IF so.... or IF Not.... and In any case, GIBSON guitars are going to remain sounding like GIBSON guitars, and for a Player like me, that is good news and it is why I play GIBSON Guitars ! Call me a snob or whatever, IDC.....I know what I like and know what I want.... and the old GIBSON USA slogan/sales-pitch 'Only a GIBSON is good enough' is true enuff to me.

Last edited:

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Both brands are too reliant on their classic models IMHO. Most of their models date from sixty or seventy years ago.

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
I didn’t watch the video but looked up Coachella, picked an unfamiliar new band and looked them up…

View attachment 47944
Bubble, meet pin. Good one man. Mr. D makes a good point too, If your a young player with a MIM fender and a USA Gibby and your scratching around in bars, you're more likely to take the Fender to the gig. If it gets beat up, or worse stolen, not nearly as big a deal as if it was a Gibby. I know of at least one player who does just that. He's got a nice LP, but takes an old MIM Jag to his gigs.

papagayo

Reaction score
It depends on the style of music, country, blues, heavy metal, etc...

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Without watching the video ( but I will) I think many of you here made good points.

As a now getting older guy, almost freaking 60, HOLY CRAP,,,,,,,,,,,,, but still young at heart. Dirtbike loving, Loud Music, Hot Girl admirin,,,, Tatoo'd baby AVatar wearin forum member, I usually see things across many generations.

The points made by Col, Abiding, Dan B, Dixie,, etc. are all valid. Economics, Cool factor ( either be like friends and role models, or be as UNLIKE the above to make a statement,,,,,, clueless to who the artist tribute Gibson's expensive models are copies of their gear, yadda yadda. The reality of it is, kids who are musical kids will buy what they can afford, learn music that they like, and likely their choices of preferred gear will morph with the level of their skill and continued interest or not. The trick for the Brands Gib, Fender, PRS, Schecter, Jackson, ESP, Peavey, and as COL Mustard mentioned, acoustics Martin, Taylor, and others brought up Gretsch, Guild, Heritage, LTD, SX, Rickenbacher, oh yeah and another hot ticket guitar brand, Ibanez is to be on the ship carrying the load vs the one that is sinking. The fact is, there are zillions of guitars out there that have been made. Players young and old have loads of choices, and if one style or brand etc becomes popular now, it may wane as time goes by and genres of music wax and wane likewise, all the factors including whether kids today even like music or performing as much as prior gens, there will be many reasons for increases or decreases in sales of certain models or brands.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Here's an interesting comparison:

Fender has 9 Strats, 6 Teles, 1 Jaguar, 1 Jazzmaster, all of their Player Lead II & IIIs and Duo Sonics (11 of them), and 2 Mustangs for under $1000, many sitting around $800. That's 30 different models to choose from before you even get to talking about colors.

Gibson has the Les Paul Tribute for $999. That's it.

No wonder Fender is killing it with younger players.

Don't forget awesome guitars like my early 2010's Squier Classic Vibe Tele ( $279 for me back then)

CV Strats and Tele's for <$300 was awesome. They got such good press, the prices climbed to what MIM ones used to cost.

NMA

Reaction score
.... my life-long distaste of single-coil pickup's

Damn, that's harsh. It's also strange.

You hate single coil pickups? The opening lick to "Sweet Home Alabama" is the epitome of single coil pickups. You don't like that tone? You also don't like what Hendrix did with single coil pickups? You don't like Beatles and Tom Petty single coil pickup jangle? You don't like...man, there's thousands of examples of brilliant single coil pickup tones in songs. And you have a life-long distaste for them all?

Latest posts