New Bands Don't Play Gibsons

NMA

Reaction score
Both brands are too reliant on their classic models IMHO. Most of their models date from sixty or seventy years ago.

This is true. But it really is the way it is in the guitar world.

Consider some of the "new and exciting" guitars that have been introduced over the past few decades. Parker Fly guitars. Headless Steinberger. Zoot Suit SGs. Travis Bean aluminum guitars. Has any "new and exciting" innovative guitar become a standard in the music world? No. It is still Strats and Teles and Les Pauls and SGs that out-sell anything new. That's the reason why guitar makers are reliant on their classic models.

MR D

Reaction score
this is a topic on a few forums I've seen recently...all about Coachella and guitars present.

DanB

Reaction score
I definitely agree with you on that. the Classic models stand the test of time. As I said in my post above, though, Gibson needs to find a way to come down on their price point and perhaps offer an entry level Gibson SG or Les Paul Jr. or Special series that would be $ 600-800.00, similar to the price range for the Made in Mexico Fender Strats and Teles.
This is true. But it really is the way it is in the guitar world.

Consider some of the "new and exciting" guitars that have been introduced over the past few decades. Parker Fly guitars. Headless Steinberger. Zoot Suit SGs. Travis Bean aluminum guitars. Has any "new and exciting" innovative guitar become a standard in the music world? No. It is still Strats and Teles and Les Pauls and SGs that out-sell anything new. That's the reason why guitar makers are reliant on their classic models.

Reactions: NMA

DanB

Reaction score
Speaking of cheap Gibson models, do you remember that in 2017 Gibson in connection with Amazon was selling made in America Gibson Melody Makers for $ 399.00? They only did this for a brief period of time and i don't know what the quality of these instruments was. Has anyone on this site ever purchased or played one or know someone who did? If Gibson could pull off something like this again, they might be able to attract some younger buyerss, provided these guitars are not junk. Unfortunately, I am a left handed player and I contacted Gibson who informed me they did not make a left handed version. (They probably were mass producing these models to keep the cost down). Here is a review I found of these guitars.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7c3nlF6Jc

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
Here's an interesting comparison:

Fender has 9 Strats, 6 Teles, 1 Jaguar, 1 Jazzmaster, all of their Player Lead II & IIIs and Duo Sonics (11 of them), and 2 Mustangs for under $1000, many sitting around $800. That's 30 different models to choose from before you even get to talking about colors.

Gibson has the Les Paul Tribute for $999. That's it.

No wonder Fender is killing it with younger players.
All those Fenders will very soon be priced well over $1000, most of the Squiers will jump to $500 and up (some are already there). Wait for it, it’s coming. Epis are aimed at younger players, Gibsons not so much.

MR D

Reaction score
Damn, that's harsh. It's also strange.

You hate single coil pickups? The opening lick to "Sweet Home Alabama" is the epitome of single coil pickups. You don't like that tone? You also don't like what Hendrix did with single coil pickups? You don't like Beatles and Tom Petty single coil pickup jangle? You don't like...man, there's thousands of examples of brilliant single coil pickup tones in songs. And you have a life-long distaste for them all?
I did not say 'HATE' (did I?)...I didn't go back and look but I think I said a 'I have a life-long distaste of single-coil pickups'.....and I do.......I do not like the sound they produce, nope........for me, they're too thin sounding....
BUT, I don't hate anything, itssa waste of time and energy.
Pickup tastes are only personal choices, thats all....
Example:
I did happen to know Johnny Winter (him and the Doctor, whatta pair), and that guy just did not like Humbuckers, couldn't stand them..... and played FIREBIRD GIBSON's because he liked the Mini--Humbuckers...he had a saying for it but ICR at the moment, it was pretty funny actually..

I would probably play a Strat-o-caster or Telecaster if they had Humbuckers in them.....Like Keith Richards #1 I think, Micawber is it ? the one after the Dickens character...... Blonde Telecaster, That guitar fuckin' SCREEEEEMS ! TNX to the Hum-Bucker in the neck position. I was a HUGE Allen Collins fan, I own a FIREBIRD because of HIM !.....but that song, uh, no...

Last edited:

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
You clearly are unaware of the maxim: the exception is not the rule.
No, I'm aware, and will defer to it's existence. I had just last month started a local petition to abrogate this maxim. After collecting many signatures, the other volunteers and myself were at our rented store front campaign office celebrating when a small child spoke to me and asked, "If exceptions no longer prove the rule, is anything exceptional?" We ended the evening aware of our folly and gathered around a fire, fed by the now useless petitions. I myself also personally threw in a small stuffed teddy bear from my childhood, and toasted marshmallows on a bent coat hanger wire for S'mores. I made two of the sticky treats for the precocious little girl as well.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Here's an interesting comparison:

Fender has 9 Strats, 6 Teles, 1 Jaguar, 1 Jazzmaster, all of their Player Lead II & IIIs and Duo Sonics (11 of them), and 2 Mustangs for under $1000, many sitting around $800. That's 30 different models to choose from before you even get to talking about colors.

Gibson has the Les Paul Tribute for $999. That's it.

No wonder Fender is killing it with younger players.

Those are all MIM Fenders, I presume. Gibson's alternatives to those are Epiphones.

I definitely agree with you on that. the Classic models stand the test of time. As I said in my post above, though, Gibson needs to find a way to come down on their price point and perhaps offer an entry level Gibson SG or Les Paul Jr. or Special series that would be $ 600-800.00, similar to the price range for the Made in Mexico Fender Strats and Teles.

It's simply not possible. The Tribute models are about as stripped down as a Gibson can get before it's just too undesirable to sell. And the tributes are priced as low as any similar entry level Gibson has been, when adjusted for inflation. The $649 Special Faded in 2004 is equivalent to a $986 guitar today, adjusting for inflation. It's easy to lose sight of that factor, but the days of a decent Gibson for $600-800 are over.

Speaking of cheap Gibson models, do you remember that in 2017 Gibson in connection with Amazon was selling made in America Gibson Melody Makers for $ 399.00? They only did this for a brief period of time and i don't know what the quality of these instruments was. Has anyone on this site ever purchased or played one or know someone who did? If Gibson could pull off something like this again, they might be able to attract some younger buyerss, provided these guitars are not junk. Unfortunately, I am a left handed player and I contacted Gibson who informed me they did not make a left handed version. (They probably were mass producing these models to keep the cost down). Here is a review I found of these guitars.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7c3nlF6Jc

Did those MMs start a revival of younger Gibson buyers? I think the answer to that tells you why Gibson rarely bothers with that price point. They sell WAY more Epiphones than they ever have Melody Makers. Buyers value upscale features like a glossy finish, bound neck, inlays etc. over where the guitar was built or the name on the headstock. That's not to say they don't value the Gibson name, but they want a "real" Gibson, not something that's more like a Fender in terms of features. An Epiphone LP Custom is much more similar to the Gibson LP Custom they dream of than a Melody Maker is.

DanB

Reaction score
Those are all MIM Fenders, I presume. Gibson's alternatives to those are Epiphones.

It's simply not possible. The Tribute models are about as stripped down as a Gibson can get before it's just too undesirable to sell. And the tributes are priced as low as any similar entry level Gibson has been, when adjusted for inflation. The $649 Special Faded in 2004 is equivalent to a $986 guitar today, adjusting for inflation. It's easy to lose sight of that factor, but the days of a decent Gibson for $600-800 are over.

Did those MMs start a revival of younger Gibson buyers? I think the answer to that tells you why Gibson rarely bothers with that price point. They sell WAY more Epiphones than they ever have Melody Makers. Buyers value upscale features like a glossy finish, bound neck, inlays etc. over where the guitar was built or the name on the headstock. That's not to say they don't value the Gibson name, but they want a "real" Gibson, not something that's more like a Fender in terms of features. An Epiphone LP Custom is much more similar to the Gibson LP Custom they dream of than a Melody Maker is.
You make some good points. And in fairness to Gibson, unlike Fender or Gretsch or other guitar manufacturers, they still build all of their guitars that have Gibson on the head stock here in the USA, which I guess counts for something. I still think Gibson puts out a good product and for those that want a cheaper Gibson type guitar, there is Epiphone and nothing wrong with those guitars at all. I currently, in fact, and looking at buying an Epi Les Paul as a cheaper alternative to a Gibson Led Paul.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
All those Fenders will very soon be priced well over $1000, most of the Squiers will jump to $500 and up (some are already there). Wait for it, it’s coming. Epis are aimed at younger players, Gibsons not so much.
The “Gibson style” South Korean Schecters hit $1k last year.
The US Schecter is considered a Custom Shop, $2k plus starting and nothing in between.
It would be comparable to Gibson wiping out everything but Custom Shop and Epiphone.
I guess we should be thankful to have something still available between $1k-$2k.

laza616

Reaction score
Pretty interesting topic. I agree with you. I guess the main thing is a price tag on the instrument and some prestige too. Its always more "impressive" to have a Gibson or Fender made in USA guitar
Yet its pretty dumb to assume that other guitars are not worth buying. Fender has this advantage that they make a guitar that is more price friendly, made in Mexico and it still has a Fender on it. Well, cheap Squier guitars are pretty lousy from my experience, but affordable and available.
For example here in Slovakia, every music store has Squier guitar available, anytime. Gibsons are rare here in the shops, i dont day eshops as these are just available upon order
And Epiphone is lately quite pricy too....

NMA

Reaction score
I guess the main thing is a price tag on the instrument and some prestige too.

That's a great way of putting it. Price tag and prestige. And Fender, not Gibson, meets both of those needs.

Let's talk bass for a minute. I'm a guitarist and, like most guitarists, I wanted to dabble in bass. I didn't want to spend two grand just to toy around with a bass, so I immediately was drawn to Fender. Why Fender? Because they make entry level, affordable, fantastic instruments! That's why I bought Fender and not Gibson. Made In Mexico Fender Jazz bass. Fantastic instrument...and I only paid $500!

1651169508006.jpeg
(By the way, that pic above is the full gamut of Fender based products - Made In America, Made In Mexico, and Squire. Expensive to affordable to cheap...all fine instruments.)

I just went to Guitar Center page and the Fender gear for beginners' deals are still incredible. Look at this gorgeous flame top Jazz bass. Fender on the headstock....only 650 bucks! (And you can definitely knock 10% off.) A Fender Jazz bass for just 600 dollars!

Gibson truly is not understanding the pricing/prestige desires that we players crave. Fender does.

1651168182812.png

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score

Ah, PTL, probably, but isn't the Squier line more equivalent to Epiphones? But, of course Squiers are even cheaper than MIMs. I guess you could make the point that until you looked at the back of the headstock, people would still see the Fender logo and be none the wiser. You see a Gibson logo on a headstock and you know it is American made. More than likely most young players haven't developed the headstock snobbery trait that older players do.

MR D

Reaction score
GIBSON's are definitely pricey guitars.....and getting pricier by the day....Kids today (and every other year since FOREVER) that are broke....... cant afford GIBSON Standards, simple as that.....

In March, 2017, I paid $1299 OUT-THE-DOOR for 2017 SG Standard w/'57 Classics, Locking Grover Tuning Machines, Rolled Binding and HSCase...... $1299....w/3 yrs to pay on a SWEETWATER Credit Card.....TOTALLY BAD-A$$ Guitar....and Simply the best SG I ever played.......IT JUST IS.......

in April 2021 THE same (2020) GIBSON USA SG Standard BUT w/POS 490's (that had to be changed b4 I even played it in my Studio to '61R & '57 Classic at no additional cost) , no locking Grover Tuning Machines and a separate HS Case purchase OF $225 ....grande Total WAS $1545 out-the-door..and up-graded for an additional $110 w/KLUSON Revolution Tuning Machines =$1665 total....A good guitar after the pickups were changed and after a GIBSON USA Hard Shell Case was purchased but NOT as good a guitar as the 2017 Model...the Guitar Center dealio had 2 years to pay on a Guitar Center Credit card......GIBSON USA Definitely SKIMPED ON SOME OF THE APPOINTMENTS ON AN SG STANDARD, and that was right after emerging from Bankruptcy

a price increase of $346 over 4 years , for an Angel-Wing SG Standard (2017) and a Batwing SG Standard (2021) which works out to $61.33 per year price increase.....or about 27% increase, 6.5% per year, over 4 years..NOT totally Outrageous BUT certainly NOT IN-EXPENSIVE GUITARS ! I got the 2020 SG Standard on clearance sale as well.........I actually watched/waited for the guitar to get discounted.....struggling to make it bands are not buying these guitars, and it should NOT be a surprise? and IDK, I am just glad that I can buy them......being Young IS GREAT, BUT BEING BROKE IS BEING BROKE......... AND anyone who has ever been broke knows......... IT SUCKS !

FWIW the 2017 SG STANDARD was/is just a SLIGHTLY better guitar............

Last edited:

Latest posts