New purchase

Igonuts

Reaction score
Jumped in the deep end. I purchased a couple of new guits.

I love the blues. The '21 '61 STD I have does the blues and rock/metal. But old school Strats, for me, are the other side of blues sound i also want. Couldn't afford that just yet, older strat, so had to toss a tele in the mix. With a push/pull serries option. Heard the demos on you tube. Seems to have a split personality. Typical tele tones and able to produce those hollow/tubular strat tones.

I took the plunge and apprehensive bout the whole thing. Financially, it works on paper. But geeze. Lotta dough.
Initially I was only after the LP. But upon negotiations w GS and a little cash up front, I was able to get the tele as well.
The LP is on reserve, back ordered till November. Tele is shipping out tomorrow.

My goal is matching ebony LP, SG, and flying V customs. The tele was just to scratch that itch.
SG and V are slated for Jan 1 2023

I am nervous thou.
I do plan on doing the unboxing here. Tele, next couple days. LP in Nov. Other two after 1st next year. Iffin I'm still on this earth.
Got nothin to do. Retired, home paid for, live off grid save pwr. Can't turn wrenches no more. Can't see or think clearly.

Did I say nervous................

papagayo

Reaction score
The black SG Custom with ebony fingerboard is a great SG, with an ABR-1 Faber® iNsert™ conversion this guitar is perfect imho.

MR D

Reaction score

I love the blues. The '21 '61 STD I have does the blues and rock/metal. But old school Strats, for me, are the other side of blues sound i also want. Couldn't afford that just yet, older strat, so had to toss a tele in the mix. With a push/pull serries option. Heard the demos on you tube. Seems to have a split personality. Typical tele tones and able to produce those hollow/tubular strat tones.

I took the plunge and apprehensive bout the whole thing. Financially, it works on paper. But geeze. Lotta dough.
Initially I was only after the LP. But upon negotiations w GS and a little cash up front, I was able to get the tele as well.
The LP is on reserve, back ordered till November. Tele is shipping out tomorrow.

My goal is matching ebony LP, SG, and flying V customs. The tele was just to scratch that itch.

I am nervous thou.
I do plan on doing the unboxing here. Tele, next couple days. LP in Nov. Other two after 1st next year. Iffin I'm still on this earth.
Got nothin to do. Retired, home paid for, live off grid save pwr. Can't turn wrenches no more. Can't see or think clearly.

CONGRATS ! FINE SELECTIONS, SIR ! Especially the FLYING 'V', total BAD-A$$-ERY ! I've wanted to pickup one of the SG CUSTOMS, u kno? for about 5 years.... Total BAD-A$$ LUXURY MODEL....The Double-Cut Diamond headstock In-Lays get me every time.. MOP Fret-Board in-lays and OMG, the EBONY FRET BOARD, WOWO !!!..Both guitars just SCREEEEM "I AM THE $#!T !".....OOOH BABY. ..

BUT BUT BUT, I also pondered: How much better is the $5,000.00 SG Custom going to sound compared to MY 3 SG STANDARDS ? IDK, good question ?

Also, 4 my $5 GRAND I should get me a pair of CUSTOM-BUCKER Pick-Up's as well, yes? at least if I dont like them I can get $500-$600 for them and get a set of '57's in there.

..AIS...I've been staring down both of those models as possibilities for 5-6 years.......THEY ARE SOOO BAD-A$$ !!!....BUT, DANG !......$5,000.00 is a lot of CA$H to spend on one guitar, if you are a Guy like me....U KNO?........ NOT A RICH GUY ! I've had to learn to wait GIBSON out until they issue the guitar model I want w/exact specs I want on it...AND...it can be a long wait too ! I waited 7 years for the Les Paul CUSTOM w/Custom-Buckers & Ebony Fret-Board, FFS !!!

BTW, RETIREMENT DOESN'T SUCK !

Last edited:

Igonuts

Reaction score
CONGRATS ! FINE SELECTIONS, SIR ! Especially the FLYING 'V', total BAD-A$$-ERY ! I've wanted to pickup one of the SG CUSTOMS, u kno? for about 5 years.... Total BAD-A$$ LUXURY MODEL....The Double-Cut Diamond headstock In-Lays get me every time.. MOP Fret-Board in-lays and OMG, the EBONY FRET BOARD, WOWO !!!..Both guitars just SCREEEEM "I AM THE $#!T !".....OOOH BABY. ..

BUT BUT BUT, I also pondered: How much better is the $5,000.00 SG Custom going to sound compared to MY 3 SG STANDARDS ? IDK, good question ?

Also, 4 my $5 GRAND I should get me a pair of CUSTOM-BUCKER Pick-Up's as well, yes? at least if I dont like them I can get $500-$600 for them and get a set of '57's in there.

..AIS...I've been staring down both of those models as possibilities for 5-6 years.......THEY ARE SOOO BAD-A$$ !!!....BUT, DANG !......$5,000.00 is a lot of CA$H to spend on one guitar, if you are a Guy like me....U KNO?........ NOT A RICH GUY ! I've had to learn to wait GIBSON out until they issue the guitar model I want w/exact specs I want on it...AND...it can be a long wait too ! I waited 7 years for the Les Paul CUSTOM w/Custom-Buckers & Ebony Fret-Board, FFS !!!

BTW, RETIREMENT DOESN'T SUCK !

MR D!
"BUT BUT BUT, I also pondered: How much better is the $5,000.00 SG Custom going to sound compared to MY 3 SG STANDARDS ? IDK, good question ?"

are we playing poker!
‐‐‐------
B4 i get too far,
became a can of worms. N i'm pissed i posted b4 my eggs hatched. Now i mad i posted. n i feel very much like "abiding dude" when his dream gold on white sg arrived broken.

so, long story long,
To qualify for 48mo 0 interest rate, sales rep tried joining my gear card w my brothers. But, he had just purchased another guit and his card was maxed. So i put 2700 down to lower total cost to fit my card limit qualifying for the 48mo. Some how, unknown to me, the order and its statis went to my brothers GS account. IDK. So i was flying blind. 2700 frozen and no communication. My GS account showed no order. FForward 3 days and my bro tells me (how i found out) upon returning his damaged new guit to local GS, my stuuf was listed on his gear card.
Soi called GS CS and they found my order. Turned out the tele was on back order too. Geeze. Did not want 2700 frozen till nov or later. As i was to trade my std '61 and sg 400 in for all this to work. Left me w just an accoustic till nov or loonger.
Oh, i gets worse!
Talking to CS w some one who has a foreign accent and me really hard of hearing, she took my suggestion to cancel the tele, so i could keep my trade ins, as cancelling the entire order and hung up. Called back to request printed confirmation, and got no where. Nothing attach to my account. Couldnt discuss (privecy sh*t) anything on my brothers account. AND! My 2700 is frozen till thebanks work it out.

Now i've got nothing comming and the 48mo 0 interest deal expired as of the 1st. So i cant afford to do the first step of my dream.

F***********************ck!!!!!

My bro sez to call my gear guy to get the 48 0% going again. Gonna try that tomorrow. But i wont get the tele. Just going for placing the LP on reserve. That way i can keep my sgs.

I'm tired. This took 3 hrs to unravel.

Sorry. Not spellcheckin crap. Done till morrow.

MR D

Reaction score
MR D!
"BUT BUT BUT, I also pondered: How much better is the $5,000.00 SG Custom going to sound compared to MY 3 SG STANDARDS ? IDK, good question ?"

are we playing poker!
‐‐‐------
B4 i get too far,
became a can of worms. N i'm pissed i posted b4 my eggs hatched. Now i mad i posted. n i feel very much like "abiding dude" when his dream gold on white sg arrived broken.

so, long story long,
To qualify for 48mo 0 interest rate, sales rep tried joining my gear card w my brothers. But, he had just purchased another guit and his card was maxed. So i put 2700 down to lower total cost to fit my card limit qualifying for the 48mo. Some how, unknown to me, the order and its statis went to my brothers GS account. IDK. So i was flying blind. 2700 frozen and no communication. My GS account showed no order. FForward 3 days and my bro tells me (how i found out) upon returning his damaged new guit to local GS, my stuuf was listed on his gear card.
Soi called GS CS and they found my order. Turned out the tele was on back order too. Geeze. Did not want 2700 frozen till nov or later. As i was to trade my std '61 and sg 400 in for all this to work. Left me w just an accoustic till nov or loonger.
Oh, i gets worse!
Talking to CS w some one who has a foreign accent and me really hard of hearing, she took my suggestion to cancel the tele, so i could keep my trade ins, as cancelling the entire order and hung up. Called back to request printed confirmation, and got no where. Nothing attach to my account. Couldnt discuss (privecy sh*t) anything on my brothers account. AND! My 2700 is frozen till thebanks work it out.

Now i've got nothing comming and the 48mo 0 interest deal expired as of the 1st. So i cant afford to do the first step of my dream.

F***********************ck!!!!!

My bro sez to call my gear guy to get the 48 0% going again. Gonna try that tomorrow. But i wont get the tele. Just going for placing the LP on reserve. That way i can keep my sgs.

I'm tired. This took 3 hrs to unravel.

Sorry. Not spellcheckin crap. Done till morrow.
WOW, sounds like a DRAG and a half.....FFS, $2700 just frozen (?)...OUCH ! Fuckin hate when that happens !...YEAH, I'd forget the Telecaster (unless it has a humbucker) and get me the SG.....IMO, you will not be sorry....unless...... it arrives broken to $#!T !

Let us know how this all works out for you, yes? When it all gets worked out and you get your SG CUSTOM, you will be soooooooooo glad you persevered !

Igonuts

Reaction score
All worked out for the best. Funds released.

Lesson here for me.
Musicians Friend/Guitar Center;
What happens on a back order that excedes a gear card ballance is the extra funds are "pinged" on initial transaction and the 1st of every month till item is shipped.
Also, never order via a store directly. Commission for in store purchases are such that the employee wants all they can get out of a customer.

IDK any of that. I was paying full list price. And, I could'nt pay bills on time if every month 2700 was "pending" for 5 days.
Chatting w my bro, he says to call the number at the top of GCs web page. So i did.
Chatting w the rep, decided to drop the tele, and since i have an SG, I ordered the LP custom. Rep got me 10% of the list price. $4999.00 down to $4199.16. Tacked on a Hurcules guit stand to qualify.
LP is on back order, slated ship date for Dec 20th. Gonna be a nice Christmass. Stand ships right away. Since eveything fits on the gear card, no "pinging" for funds. Only $93 a month, 48mo, 0% interest starting at ship date.

Happy now. Affords me the ability to keep my existing SGs. I might also be able to buy that tele outright between now and Dec.
Me thinks, no, me knows, that since ya'll are very willing to help anyone, as I've experienced, I could have just asked for advice here. Instead of getting all exited and posting the way i did. Wont ever do that again.

Done w my confessional. I will come back to this thread for the unboxing. D*mn it.

MR D

Reaction score

Lesson here for me.
What happens on a back order that excedes a gear card ballance is the extra funds are "pinged" on initial transaction and the 1st of every month till item is shipped.
Also, never order via a store directly. Commission for in store purchases are such that the employee wants all they can get out of a customer.

IDK any of that. I was paying full list price. And, I could'nt pay bills on time if every month 2700 was "pending" for 5 days.
Chatting w my bro, he says to call the number at the top of GCs web page. So i did.
Chatting w the rep, decided to drop the tele, and since i have an SG, I ordered the LP custom. Rep got me 10% of the list price. $4999.00 down to $4199.16. Tacked on a Hurcules guit stand to qualify.
LP is on back order, slated ship date for Dec 20th. Gonna be a nice Christmass. Stand ships right away. Since eveything fits on the gear card, no "pinging" for funds. Only $93 a month, 48mo, 0% interest starting at ship date.

Happy now. Affords me the ability to keep my existing SGs. I might also be able to buy that tele outright between now and Dec.
Me thinks, no, me knows, that since ya'll are very willing to help anyone, as I've experienced, I could have just asked for advice here. Instead of getting all exited and posting the way i did. Wont ever do that again.

Done w my confessional. I will come back to this thread for the unboxing. D*mn it.
Glad to hear it Bro, NICE ONE !

MR D

Reaction score

Lesson here for me.

BTW, try ordering direct from GIBSON, they dont have 0% financing BUT sometimes they have in stock what retailers dont have ! when the retailers all have on back order , sometimes GIBSON has layin on the shipping dock, ready to go !

Igonuts

Reaction score
Seeking info on an out of stock firebird listing, I emailed them asking what "out of stock" means. They said doesnt necessarily mean end of production or that production will resume either. They wont reserve items either. Even if paid in full up front.
Ordering via gear advisor at MF/GC showed me that if a listing has finance options, an item maybe had at a significant discount. And that since GC can give me an expected delivery date of an "out of stock" item, seems that, Gibson anyway, gives authorized dealers info they wont disclose to the general public.
The trick my brothher does is, buy via finance. Get a dicount, then after three or so months, he pays it off in full.
------
I should add,
Another clue for me was that while the LP and the Firebird were liisted on gibsons stie as "out of stock", only the LP is listed on MF/GC. With options to reserve or notify when avail.

Last edited:

Igonuts

Reaction score
No damage and no extra shipping foam inside case. Totally reliant on case bolstering. Only had paperwork and a stock plastic 3 way switch cover for case candy. Did find a very used Dunlop pick floating around in there. My $1999 std 61 had strap, swiss army driver set, cleaning cloth and paperwork for candy. So I go from a Chevy to a Cadillac and all I get is a hood ornament? No jack or lug wrench? Gear guy at GC thought it was odd too. Sending me complimentary cloth, strap and multi wrench. Cool. All he had was a Fender multi wrench. So that's what I get. Ford lug wrench for a Cadillac. Hmm.
Fit and finish was all good save one semi~ issue. Can't see it in any pic, but the binding on fretboard is recessed. Like the neck wood is a wee bit wider than the fretboard and binding as a whole. Running finger from back of the neck around to the binding, and there's a wee drop off to the binding surface. Tried to catch the UPS guy, but I missed him. So the guitar sat in 93° temps w 90% humidity for maybe 20 min. Arg.
I had new a 20th ('54) Anniversary. This '70th ('52) is as close as I'm ever going to get to that. 9 hole weight relief and it still feels like I strapped on a real Cadillac. Tonnage.
So all electrics work and feel solid. Not sure what Gibson calls "special electronics". Called them way back when to ask and they only spoke of the pups.
Plays sluggish for me. Partly, mostly cause I'm an 8's guy and it comes pleek'd for 10's. But I have way too much humidity here. Heat wave. Haven't been able to play any of my guitars. They're all sticky.
All and all, I'm pleased. Binding issue is odd, but not a deal breaker. No nib bump. Binding is smooth and level.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
No damage and no extra shipping foam inside case. Totally reliant on case bolstering. Only had paperwork and a stock plastic 3 way switch cover for case candy. Did find a very used Dunlop pick floating around in there. My $1999 std 61 had strap, swiss army driver set, cleaning cloth and paperwork for candy. So I go from a Chevy to a Cadillac and all I get is a hood ornament? No jack or lug wrench? Gear guy at GC thought it was odd too. Sending me complimentary cloth, strap and multi wrench. Cool. All he had was a Fender multi wrench. So that's what I get. Ford lug wrench for a Cadillac. Hmm.
Fit and finish was all good save one semi~ issue. Can't see it in any pic, but the binding on fretboard is recessed. Like the neck wood is a wee bit wider than the fretboard and binding as a whole. Running finger from back of the neck around to the binding, and there's a wee drop off to the binding surface. Tried to catch the UPS guy, but I missed him. So the guitar sat in 93° temps w 90% humidity for maybe 20 min. Arg.
I had new a 20th ('54) Anniversary. This '70th ('52) is as close as I'm ever going to get to that. 9 hole weight relief and it still feels like I strapped on a real Cadillac. Tonnage.
So all electrics work and feel solid. Not sure what Gibson calls "special electronics". Called them way back when to ask and they only spoke of the pups.
Plays sluggish for me. Partly, mostly cause I'm an 8's guy and it comes pleek'd for 10's. But I have way too much humidity here. Heat wave. Haven't been able to play any of my guitars. They're all sticky.
All and all, I'm pleased. Binding issue is odd, but not a deal breaker. No nib bump. Binding is smooth and level.
Very nice black beauty! That gold and black always looks cool together.

Igonuts

Reaction score
Very nice black beauty! That gold and black always looks cool together.

Tnx dude. Gold on black, for me, is for an LP, best combo. But me thinks, maybe like you, not so much on an SG. For me, gold on white is the SG's best color combo. Me thinks white/black w gold wear differently between the two.
I mentioned no added support in the case during shipping specifically ref to your mishap w your SG. Hoping you'd chime in.
I really think, since shipping thousands of bucks worth of instrument, they should do a wee bit more support AND mayb have up arrows and "top load only" marked on the boxee.
Me thinks that in your case, none of that would have helped. Your damage had to have been a fatal accident, droppage of some kind. Dunno. Prolly best not to re live that. But after my notice to ship, your experience was all i was thinking (fearing) about.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Tnx dude. Gold on black, for me, is for an LP, best combo. But me thinks, maybe like you, not so much on an SG. For me, gold on white is the SG's best color combo. Me thinks white/black w gold wear differently between the two.
I mentioned no added support in the case during shipping specifically ref to your mishap w your SG. Hoping you'd chime in.
I really think, since shipping thousands of bucks worth of instrument, they should do a wee bit more support AND mayb have up arrows and "top load only" marked on the boxee.
Me thinks that in your case, none of that would have helped. Your damage had to have been a fatal accident, droppage of some kind. Dunno. Prolly best not to re live that. But after my notice to ship, your experience was all i was thinking (fearing) about.
Yeah, I don't blame you, but what happened to me can't be any kind of norm otherwise I'm sure Gibson would update their shipping/packing practices rather than be flooded with returned, broken guitars. I struggled mightily with the idea of dropping that kind of coin on a single guitar and doubt I'll ever pluck up the courage to do it again. But I am enjoying my 345 which cost half of what the SG Custom goes for, but is still pricey and I was holding my breath when I pulled it out of the box.

Igonuts

Reaction score
My thread, so I'm jacking it.

last i read, you had't the opportunitly to play the 345 thru tubes at volume. Thou you were going to w a band.

Pls regale me w your experience. Warm resonance. I will be smoking. Soo..... pls pls.
‐-------------!
I have to put all mine in cases w rice filled socks till the heat wave passes. 90% humudity @ 90+. Everything is sticky. Arg..

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
My thread, so I'm jacking it.

last i read, you had't the opportunitly to play the 345 thru tubes at volume. Thou you were going to w a band.

Pls regale me w your experience. Warm resonance. I will be smoking. Soo..... pls pls.
‐-------------!
I have to put all mine in cases w rice filled socks till the heat wave passes. 90% humudity @ 90+. Everything is sticky. Arg..
It's been a weird couple of months. I live in Vegas, so I have the opposite problem. I run a humidifier in my guitar room 24/7/365. The band I want to use the 345 in has been on hiatus while various band members go through various existential crises. A couple of guys dealing with terminally ill mothers, another with a mentally ill brother that attempted suicide, so it has been a lot of headphone playing (mostly because my house is small and my wife works from home), sooooooo...not many chance for the 345 to stretch its wings yet, but its coming. The classic proto-punk band I started (got a Johnny Ramone model Mosrite and Kurt Cobain Jaguar for that) hasn't been able to find a bass player for months. Then I actually have a third band, which is the Sabbath tribute where my P90 SGs are coming in handy. It's the only band in the last two months that has been practicing regularly. I know I'm playing with fire if all these bands go active at the same time, but what can I say, I was bored!

Igonuts

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't blame you, but what happened to me can't be any kind of norm otherwise I'm sure Gibson would update their shipping/packing practices rather than be flooded with returned, broken guitars. I struggled mightily with the idea of dropping that kind of coin on a single guitar and doubt I'll ever pluck up the courage to do it again. But I am enjoying my 345 which cost half of what the SG Custom goes for, but is still pricey and I was holding my breath when I pulled it out of the box.
Far as not having the SG goes, me thinks your fate was right. Instead you got what, two?, guitars that actually fill a gap missing in your arsenal. You have to support three bands worth of sounds.

I'm now on the other side of the fence looking back at you. And I'm starting to see things this way;
I now own a guit i don't wanna even scratch. I know that plating is gonna take a hit. It's gonna get a ding. Younger days, w my 20th LPC BB, I hammered it. Played hard. I didn't care. Just like the hot cars I built. Fast cars mean drive fast.
But now I have it and I kinda wanna wall hang it and just stare at it and giggle like a little kid. If I knew then this is the way I would be feeling, then you betcha, I'd buy a couple of cheaper, but more purposeful/practical guits. Expand my arsenal of sounds.
Now I'm having second thoughts about my goals. Three BBs (the OP) to stare at? And they all share the same hardware and electronics. Just different platforms.

Don't get me wrong. I'm gonna drive this puppy. Just sayin.

Now see! Aren't you glad you're not burdened with the same BS I'm spewing?
---------
Sorry. Ramble

DanB

Reaction score

I am nervous thou.

Congrats on your new guitars and I hope you continue to enjoy your retirement. I am a couple of years away from retirement and look forward to having more time to play my guitars.