New purchase

Igonuts

Reaction score
Congrats on your new guitars and I hope you continue to enjoy your retirement. I am a couple of years away from retirement and look forward to having more time to play my guitars.

Sorry for being short/discourteous. I felt i needed to respond cause i hadn't for a few days. But i was very tired.
Turned up the a/c and got to play it for roughly 4 hours last night. Try and do 5he same tonight and post a *first impressions thingy later.

MR D

Reaction score
NICE !!! The Les Paul CUSTOM, BAD TO THE BONES !!! You got a winner there, a lifetime of enjoyment and respect wherever you go with that BAD-A$$$ !!! HOT DIGGETTY DAM !

I finally got one a few years back.......waited 7 LONG years for THAT ONE with Ebony Fret-Board and CUSTOM-BUCKERS , FFS ! for Custom shop coinage ? a player should get exactly what they want !!!

IDK if I am the only one here that thought the guitar pictured was green at first ? But its what it looked like for a second there....and still totally Drool-Worthy in any case...

Igonuts

Reaction score
"IDK if I am the only one here that thought the guitar pictured was green at first"

I see that too. The room I was in is painted green.

Returning this one. The binding on the neck has receded/recessed. Such that it looks and feels like a smaller width board is on the neck. Entire length of the neck is like that. I checked w gear advisor and they now have plenty in stock so replacement should be fairly quick.

MR D

Reaction score
"IDK if I am the only one here that thought the guitar pictured was green at first"

I see that too. The room I was in is painted green.

Returning this one. The binding on the neck has receded/recessed. Such that it looks and feels like a smaller width board is on the neck. Entire length of the neck is like that. I checked w gear advisor and they now have plenty in stock so replacement should be fairly quick.
WOW, too bad..FORK !..but dont settle for less than as close to perfect as possible....CUSTOM Gibson's cost as much as kidney's, FFS ! GEEZ- ZEUS,u kno? how it got out of the factory? Someone paying $4-6 Grand for one of those BAD-A$$$'s just dont deserve LESS THAN......

IMC....the 1st Les Paul CUSTOM BB that was delivered to me had a cracked head-stock....ICFBI...I did not even take it out of the case..Went to pick it up.....Felt the crack, turned it around....HOLY $#!T !!! CRACK CITY....put it down, closed the case......went back the next day ! What a shame and a waste of a great guitar too ! Someone just did not give a $#!T that they packed the box carelessly...perfectly good Lester CUSTOM BB...RUINED !

The next one should be 'THE ONE'.....Hope so anyway !

KEEP ROCKIN' !

Igonuts

Reaction score
So this is my fret board binding issue. Doesnt get in the way of playing. But my thoughts are;

If in the future, if i was to sell it, would it be looked at as a factory blem and be devalued acordingly?
Would i then be willing to absorg that monetarily?

Like some feed back pls.
Is it considered a blem? Would you return it?

Slated for return, but i can reverse that iffin y'all dont think it would be devalued.
I know living w it is all on me. Its my other concerns i need feed back on. Got no one to show it to. Living in the sticks as i am.

Ty.

Edit, FYI 1/8" bit. Trough most pronounced near head stock. Gets progressively shallower to flush and neck tennon.

20220629_142123.jpg

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Well, I figure the drill bit is there to show that the space is there and the drill bit is not rolling off the guitar as it should ????

IDK...BUT THINK: when and 'IF' you are not the kinda of Guy that can just shrug off a $4,000 to $6,000 purchase that MAYBE you should not have made......and it is going to bother you every time you pick the guitar up ?

Back it goes then, eh ? SURELY the GIBSON CUSTOM Shop has plenty more where that one came from...and the CUSTOM SHOP will not give a $#!T that they got it back. I figure, why should you keep one that has a defect that you spotted right off the bat ? UNLESSSSSS....... and this could be the ONLY reason to keep it: The Guitar has the TONE of the THUNDER of the GODZ and it is the bestest sounding guitar you have ever played......because.....then...... it stays...!

Last edited:

Igonuts

Reaction score
"Well, I figure the drill bit is there to show that the space is there and the drill bit is not rolling off the guitar as it should ????"

Exackerly.

Custom shop boasting "pinnacle of craftsmanship" and "attention to detail" and they let that out the door. Thinking no one would notice?
Arguably necks make or break a guitar. Sound purdy, but if neck isn't right, well......
My sg std is virtuauly flawless. Little fret polishing was all. And there aint no buffing out that flaw.
I'd keep her iffin i knew it would retain value as one w no flaws.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
"Well, I figure the drill bit is there to show that the space is there and the drill bit is not rolling off the guitar as it should ????"

Exackerly.

Custom shop boasting "pinnacle of craftsmanship" and "attention to detail" and they let that out the door. Thinking no one would notice?
Arguably necks make or break a guitar. Sound purdy, but if neck isn't right, well......
My sg std is virtuauly flawless. Little fret polishing was all. And there aint no buffing out that flaw.
I'd keep her iffin i knew it would retain value as one w no flaws.
Yeah, thats pretty bad....its gotta go back, yes ?.....AND FFS.......that exact model...the Les Paul CUSTOM 'BLACK BEAUTY' is probably THE FLAGSHIP Model/Best Known/Best Loved GIBSON Electric Guitar (or is it the Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Standard ala Jimmy Page #1 & #2 ? IDK ?) and to let that out the door is ALMOST UN-FUCKIN-BELIEVABLE...maybe the Final Inspector was 'Out-to-Lunch'/Really Stoned....... or something that day ?....IDK.....

That inury is not very obvious in the pictures and it was a good idea to put the drill bit on it there....NICE MOVE..as I actually could not see the space.......but from the way the drill bit is just sittin there...its gotta be pretty bad (REALLY BAD ACTUALLY, HOLY $#!T !).....and that would really bug the **** out of me....OMG would it !!! The binding on the Back Beauty I finally got has a slight dimple in it on the Low E side @ 3rd fret and it ALMOST went back because of it...BUT after the 1st one arrived w/Craced Head-Stock I figured...Imma keepin this one and consider the dimple an identifier/beauty mark...I figured at the time that The Lester CUSTOMs w/Ebony Fret-Boards are getting harder and harder to find and I might nit get another one and at $3850 ALL-IN.....I could accept the dimple !

U kno, the 2017 SG Standard (Angel-Wing PG) I got was FLAWLESS as well...what year was the FLAWLESS SG Standard you mentioned ? I also got a Guitar Center floor model 2020 SG Standard that was FLAWLESS as well......all I had to do was yank the 490's out of it and its up there with the 2017 SG........