Next idea

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
It's an idea rolling around in my head, and yes, that's a stock pic I Googled.
Personally, I hate that bridge/vibrato system with a passion. Hardcore Jaguar and Jazzmaster lovers will say that it can be set up to work fine but I beg to differ. I love Jaguars and Jazzmasters but simply won't own one because of those systems.

I would think you'd have to be pretty sure you like those because installing one is a commitment.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
To me they have a much smoother, less abrupt function than a Strat trem.
That much is true for sure, but so does a Bigsby. Strat bridges just aren't subtle enough to get that nice shimmer. Bigsbys can be mounted in a non permanent way.

The best I ever got out of a Jaguar or Jazzmaster was using a Buzzstop for down pressure and a roller tune-o-matic bridge. The normal Fender bridge often would lower the itself over time with string vibration. That happened on 3 different guitars. A bit of Teflon tape or maybe wax on the grub screw probably would've helped keep it from turning down but I opted to just put on a better bridge.

If resale value isn't a concern and you're confident that the Fender system will function the way you want then go for it. It looks cool.

Last edited:

OAGIGE

Reaction score
mmmm... (i'm new here and welp... here goes)... that tremolo needs something offset, a bolt on neck and some type of shim... and a (cough) prayer. (love the whole jazzmaster/novo/offset thing!!!).

beerbelly

Reaction score
that tremolo needs something offset, a bolt on neck and some type of shim...

I've shimmed necks on Jags & Jazzes before, and it really helps lower the action. But remember that Gibsons have a few degrees of neck tiltback built in, so I believe this trem will work well on an SG.
I wouldn't use a Mastery bridge; too spendy & ugly, but would definitely consider some type of roller bridge.

Last edited:

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
that tremolo needs something offset, a bolt on neck and some type of shim...

I've shimmed necks on Jags & Jazzes before, and it really helps lower the action. But remember that Gibsons have a few degrees of neck tiltback built in, so I believe this trem will work well on an SG.
I wouldn't use a Mastery brideg; too spendy & ugly, but would definitely consider some type of roller bridge.
A roller bridge plus a Buzzstop should take care of most the issues.

Reaction score
I might think of proto-typing on a set neck Epi to see how it works out. Some differences but it might let you decide if it really work.

Like the others above, I didn't get along well with that trem on a Fender. But, I wasn't as good with setup then, so there's that.

Also, you will kill a lot of value. Not that it should, but it will. Nature of the Market.

beerbelly

Reaction score
Yes, I've also considered using a Maestro SG junior as a proof-of-concept build. If I could get a smokin' good deal on a recent Epi SG Special I might try that. Something with a wraparound bridge, no stop tail.

Huntroll

Reaction score
A little laser beam reflection could blind some folks with all that chrome !

Blame it on the Roadies !

Reaction score
Yes, I've also considered using a Maestro SG junior as a proof-of-concept build. If I could get a smokin' good deal on a recent Epi SG Special I might try that. Something with a wraparound bridge, no stop tail.

The used market on the set neck Epi's jumped a while back during the depths of The Plague and it hasn't really come back down. Epi hiking all the prices $50 didn't help. The upscale $850 Epi's only help to drag it up more.

It used to be that I could get one of those for $200-$250 (or less) used vs. $400 new. Lately people are asking $350-$400 used against $450 new.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
A rough idea what it would look like. I think the trem shape works kind of nicely with the pickguard curves:

View attachment 49112
You'll have to buy a locking wrap around bridge or swap to a tune-o-matic. There won't be enough down pressure to keep the existing bridge where you want it. If you switch to a tune-o-matic you'll likely see the original post holes.

I bought this guitar with the intention of adding a Vibrola and some Firebird pickups. While I waited to the Vibrola to be delivered I came across a Bigsby at a decent price and did a quick test fit.
IMG_20220517_030006342~3.jpg
You can see in this pic I have the bridge on backwards. That's because there wasn't enough pressure to keep it from falling off. I have a Bigsby with a tension bar but realized then the strings would ride along the whole wrap-around not just the "saddle" area. I also realized that if I went to a tune-o-matic that it wouldn't fully cover up the mod holes. When the Vibrola finally showed up I was pretty over the whole idea.

It is entirely possible though that the Fender trem plus the Buzzstop will be the perfect combo for pressure/break angle. There's really only one way to find out.

Latest posts