Next idea

beerbelly

Reaction score
New studs installed, front repainted, and test string up. Plenty of adjustment at the bridge. Clear coats & polishing next.

20221006_103014.jpg 20221006_102131.jpg 20221006_102157.jpg

beerbelly

Reaction score
Change of plans- black. The other color just wasn't doing it for me. Color coats on today, clear to follow.

now black.jpg

smitty_p

Reaction score
If nobody has said it yet, let me just say, "That will never work!"

(Okay, now that we have the obligatory nay-saying out of the way, because what would a mod thread on a guitar forum be without it!)

Let me honestly express my congratulations on how well this is turning out!

I've never used this sort of vibrato. I have used Bigsby, Maestro, Strat, and Floyd Rose...even the '80s era Washburn Wonderbar...but I've never tried one of these. Very interesting stuff.

Nice work!

Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Totally agree with beerbelly above. I wouldn't want it to be the only type of wammy bar I owned, but I wouldn't want to be without it either. They really are awesome in the range they cover. No dive bombs on tap, but they are smooth and super precise.

beerbelly

Reaction score
All done, and quite the transformation.
I'm really liking the black vs. the previous green; much classier. The action is higher with this new roller bridge even with it decked; looks like I'll need to shim the neck like many Jazzes & Jags need, but the neck angle on a set neck SG might work out just fine.

Black, front.jpg Front, angle.jpg Black, back.jpg Back, angle.jpg Action.jpg Roller bridge.jpg 3 SGs.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
Roller bridge will be here today, so I plugged the the stud holes & drilled for the bridge ground. These dowels were a tad too large for the metric holes, so I chucked them in a drill and ran them against a sanding block before glueing:

View attachment 49305 View attachment 49306 View attachment 49307
That looks like some sort of Fender bridge...on an SG....WOWO !!! if its going to have parts from all over, what can you call it ? ...Franken Whatever is already taken, SO ? Gotta think about that one for awhile, all sorts of cool there....LIKES IT, I DO !

MR D

Reaction score
DOH! The action is fine- I hadn't tightened the neck screws completely.

View attachment 49431
wow !! way to go !! ! That is bitchin' !!!! What are you gonna call/name it ? Action on the low 'E' looks about right to me...what? 4/64Ths at the 12Th ? li'l low for me but IDK if I am reading the ruler right.....

Congrats on that, NICE ONE ! You should be proud of your effort, #oLY $#!T THAT ROCKS !

beerbelly

Reaction score
Thanks! It's a tremolo from a Squier Jazzmaster/Jaguar, and yes, the action is 4/64" on the low E at the 12th, and 3/64" on the high E.
I don't usually name my guitars, but I'm open to suggestions.

MR D

Reaction score
Really liking this roller bridge. I've been hammering it pretty good, and it absolutely stays in tune; no rattles or strings popping out of the rollers either.

The speed knobs were looking kinda dull against this new black finish, so I added reflector knobs & pointers to class it up a bit.

View attachment 49455
May I ask ? Who makes the Roller Bridge ? Made of what ? (Did I miss it ?) I've had bad luck w/RB's....the ones I bought were TONE KILLERS ! Golden Age or Golden Eagle or some **** ? Got 'em on Stew Mac, OMG POS ! They were to try to smooth out a B3 Bigsby and they were such tone killers I never even got to see if they solved the Bigsby problem. That bad they were !

I was thinking of getting an RB for a Maestro that's on an SG 'Original', its not totally allover the place so its a maybe type of thang, but if you got a winner there, could be the one !(if they have one for an SG Original that needs no mods),TNX !

KEEP ROCKIN THAT BAD-A$$ ! WOW, PERFECT !

Latest posts