NGD: 1999 SG Special

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Very nice SG Special, it needs love and new knobs ;)
Thanks.

It’s fine the way it is and just needs to be played.

I bought it because I wanted one to play outdoors or in areas that I don’t need to worry about it getting messed up.

I like it a lot because it’s hard to find a modern SG with thick rounded neck.

The dark walnut gloss finish is not as common on these modern SG Specials.

1999, three years before they went to the Faded series in Worn Brown and Worn Cherry in 2002.

papagayo

Reaction score
I' m agree, I like my SG Special, very good guitar and the finish is not fragile. The feeling is very good like when I play an SG Standard.

MR D

Reaction score
OOH BABY, NICE ONE C.B. ! I was going to ask, and I guess I still will....what pickup's WERE in it when you got it ?
If they weren't the stock originals, what would the originals have been (IF YOU KNOW, U KNOW?) ? as well as what Pickup's WERE in it when you got it ?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
OOH BABY, NICE ONE C.B. ! I was going to ask, and I guess I still will....what pickup's WERE in it when you got it ?
If they weren't the stock originals, what would the originals have been (IF YOU KNOW, U KNOW?) ? as well as what Pickup's WERE in it when you got it ?
The guitar was bone stock when I got it. It had the 490T/490R combo with 300K pots and sounded like mud.

The pup screws and slugs were all rusted out and the volume pot to the bridge pup was faulty. Would not cut volume off and had no taper.

After replacing the pups and controls, it now sings.

I got it because I really like the neck carve and the finish. It’s a real workhorse guitar. It’s now my best playing and sounding SG.

MR D

Reaction score
The guitar was bone stock when I got it. It had the 490T/490R combo with 300K pots and sounded like mud.

The pup screws and slugs were all rusted out and the volume pot to the bridge pup was faulty. Would not cut volume off and had no taper.

After replacing the pups and controls, it now sings.

I got it because I really like the neck carve and the finish. It’s a real workhorse guitar. It’s now my best playing and sounding SG.
AWRIGHT, GLAD TO HEAR IT C.B. !!! NICE ONE ! That is what I figured..... and how 'bout those 490's, eh ? UGH!!! GIBSON USA even has the nerve to put them in the new SG STANDARDS, since 2020 (?)...ONE OF WHICH I BOUGHT ! LOL !!! BUT , I had a '61R & '57 Classic ready to install as soon as I got the BAD-A$$ home.....and I got the same result as you just did ! Its now a GREAT Guitar but it is 2nd to my 2017 SG Standard w/'57's stock. I'm sure you know that the 2017 & 2018 SG Standards were such better issues than the new 'MODERN' series SG Standards...its not even close, really......and, LOL, the newer ones are $300+ more expensive new. Post Bankruptcy GIBSON's, IDK.....but you won't find Locking Grovers & '57 Classics on SG 'Modern' Standards or Burst-Bucker PRO's in LP Fadeds again...GIBSON wants everyone to pay pay pay for those types of things now !

ROCK THAT BAD-A$$ !!!

Latest posts