NGD 64 Reissue SG, and maybe I am an SG Guy after all!

jdto

Reaction score
Hello, fellow SG lovers. I've been a member here for many years but haven't participated much. I have had an off-and-on love for SGs for years but haven't found one that stuck around for very long. I was really big on Les Pauls for a long time while ignoring the fact that they simply don't work for me ergonomically. That is until recently when I finally accepted reality and moved my entire stable of LPs on for other guitars that work better and don't cause me physical discomfort!

Anyway, one of those LPs ended up as a trade-in on this beauty, a 64 Reissue SG with the chunky neck, nice balance and killer sound I have been craving. So here it is and here I am, ready to finally admit that I'm an "SG Guy". I've had it since September and I've felt no diminishing of the urge to pick it up before any of my other guitars. I'd say the honeymoon period may end up being perpetual!

Here's my current main squeeze!

IMG_3799.jpeg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
congratulations on finally seeing the light.

sorry, I don't mean to sound like that. I AM glad that you've found one that
does what you need done, and doesn't cripple you like a cinder block
hanging off your neck.

It's hard not to say, "of course it's an SG!" But I won't say that.

To tell you the truth, they all sound great. Les Pauls, Shredders of various kinds,
Telecasters, Acoustics, Dobros, resonator guitars, ... I do love them all.

I just love my SG's more. And I'm glad you finally figured that out.
Now rock that sucker, and show us more photos. Oh and by the way
you must NEVER lean your prized SG up against any amp. *grins
They can fall and break the headstock, just like Les Pauls can.
Or any Gibson with the mahogany neck and the 17 degree back angle.

These need protection of the best stand you can buy... one that won't tip over
if kicked or blow over on a windy stage.
(I'm not patronizing you, I often write stuff like this for newbies reading and lurking).
It can't be said often enough... Ask any luthier

jdto

Reaction score
congratulations on finally seeing the light.

sorry, I don't mean to sound like that. I AM glad that you've found one that
does what you need done, and doesn't cripple you like a cinder block
hanging off your neck.

It's hard not to say, "of course it's an SG!" But I won't say that.

To tell you the truth, they all sound great. Les Pauls, Shredders of various kinds,
Telecasters, Acoustics, Dobros, resonator guitars, ... I do love them all.

I just love my SG's more. And I'm glad you finally figured that out.
Now rock that sucker, and show us more photos. Oh and by the way
you must NEVER lean your prized SG up against any amp. *grins
They can fall and break the headstock, just like Les Pauls can.
Or any Gibson with the mahogany neck and the 17 degree back angle.

These need protection of the best stand you can buy... one that won't tip over
if kicked or blow over on a windy stage.
(I'm not patronizing you, I often write stuff like this for newbies reading and lurking).
It can't be said often enough... Ask any luthier
Thank you for the kind words and yes, I agree that a nice, light SG on the shoulder certainly makes for a pleasurable playing experience, one I had firsthand last night after a 3-hour rehearsal!

And I also agree that guitars belong on stands (you'll see one poking its way into the bottom right of my photo). This was strictly for the glamour shot and then the SG went back on the stand as is correct and proper. I also wholeheartedly agree that they all sound great, as my collection includes acoustics, resonators and even a sorely-neglected lap steel. I've got more photos of my SG, which I'll gladly share.
Beautiful sg man! The SV20H is no slouch either. ;)
Thank you and yes, the SV20H makes the sounds I love to hear :D

Here are a few more pics, including the evidence that I often learn things the hard way (tried the strap button on the back of the horn and hated it there).
68634276712__7752AE56-403A-44C9-BD2B-0CA35CD12176.JPEG

IMG_3913.JPEG

IMG_3914.JPEG

IMG_3915.JPEG

IMG_3917.JPEG

lcw

Reaction score
Custom Shop correct? I don't know why Gibson didn't call the Maestro version of the USA 61 Std a '64, since the Maestro wasn't even out in '61.

How are the nylon saddles? Does it help keep the Maestro in tune better (less grabby on strings than metal saddles??). Although I'd be concerned them wearing out for heavy vibrola users.

Beautiful SG btw! I really the dye they use on the Custom Shop SGs.

Last thing - did you experiment with the upper strap button location or was that from a previous owner?

jdto

Reaction score
Custom Shop correct? I don't know why Gibson didn't call the Maestro version of the USA 61 Std a '64, since the Maestro wasn't even out in '61.

How are the nylon saddles? Does it help keep the Maestro in tune better (less grabby on strings than metal saddles??). Although I'd be concerned them wearing out for heavy vibrola users.

Beautiful SG btw! I really the dye they use on the Custom Shop SGs.

Last thing - did you experiment with the upper strap button location or was that from a previous owner?
Yes, this is Custom Shop, although I wish they’d make a Standard with the ‘64 neck! I find the nylon saddles fine, although I only use the vibrola sparingly. I agree, I really like the red on this one.

The strap button was all me. The guitar balances really well, but I wanted to see if it would feel a little snugger to the body with the button up there. The heel button felt like it was tipping f forward. Unfortunately, it made the neck dive terribly. I had tried it with a mock-up with tape and it felt ok, but when I actually moved it, no dice. Now I’m used to it and it’s fine, so I’ve learned my lesson.

Reactions: lcw
Reaction score
I've owned various flavors of SG's off an on over the years and have also gone many years in-between without one. Recently picked up a '61 Standard and like yours, mine has pretty much taken over. I reached for my Telecaster, (which has been my main guitar forever and have always had at least on Tele around for the last 35-30 years) and immediately went back to the SG> I've always preferred average to slightly higher action but for whatever reason the action on the SG after I set it up is pretty darn low but still rings, doesn't buzz plugged in and bends never choke out, even when playing lots of pedal steel licks and bends.

Latest posts