NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Standard - GC Special - Trans Blue Quiltop

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Couldn't resist a blue one to go with my blue flame top Player Tele or the matching blue flame top Player Strat.

On sale today at GC at $520, 20% off while they last.

So far so good - it works and nothings broken.

The bridge seems a little high but I've slackened the truss rod off to the point where it's "resisting the anti-clockwise way. Not sure I want to risk turning it more for a day or six.

20220414_153247.jpg 20220414_152957.jpg

3bolt79

Reaction score
Didn’t I just read about this on another forum?

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I love the blue quilt top, it looks like an ocean. I came close to buying a blue quilted LP Classic, but ended up with a LP Ultra instead.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I love the blue quilt top, it looks like an ocean. I came close to buying a blue quilted LP Classic, but ended up with a LP Ultra instead.
Does look like ocean. Waiting to see a fish swim by.

Simple Ultra or a II or III with a Nanomag ?

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Does look like ocean. Waiting to see a fish swim by.

Simple Ultra or a II or III with a Nanomag ?

The first Ultra, right when it came out, I hadn't even heard of it at the time but I loved how it looked and played.

DrBGood

Reaction score
The first Ultra, right when it came out, I hadn't even heard of it at the time but I loved how it looked and played.
I was lucky to find one without the red burst. Exclusive to the Australian market I was told. LOVE it. To me it is all I like about a LP without all I hate about a LP.

2021-10-25.jpg

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
So I did some mild tinkering after I got home.

New strings (d'Addario nickel 10s) straight away, of course. Intonation is good, not perfect yet. Some nut filing may be needed, but see below.

I got the truss rod adjustment down, 0.010" at the 9th. I set the bridge to just stop fret buzz, but it seemed quite high on the bridge adjustment screws. Further investigation suggests that the13th (go figure) fret might need a whack with a rubber mallet or a bit of leveling. The fret rocker will come out soon.

Electronics wise, it all looks like Chinese stuff, not genuine CTS pots or a genuine Switchcraft switch. All the connections are push fits. The pickups are a bit mild for my taste too, so I've pushed the button on a set of nickel covered SD Saturday Night Specials, and when those arrive I will pull all the original push connector wiring with properly soldered cloth wiring, genuine CTS pots and Switchcraft switch. At that point I can address the 13th fret too.