NGD - Gibson content.

DrBGood

Reaction score
First Gibson since my first guitar 50 years ago.

About a year ago, I bought a Marshall Origin 20w head for $450 Canadian. Last month, adding a home made 2X10 ($200) cab to the head, I did a straight trade for a Fender Super-Sonic 22 combo. The guy REALLY wanted that Marshall. Now I give the Super-Sonic in exchange for that nice Studio, again straight trade. So the GIbson cost me $650 and I might sell the Bigsby for $100 = $550 Gibson. I'm stoked !

Here it is when I got it. All dressed up with a massive B7 Bigsby. It was heavy, really badly set upped and dirty. Case stunk that Gibson vanilla stink, so did the LP.

Jour 1.jpg

The case spent some time airing out.

smell.jpg

Good thing I didn't try it with a strap, could have had a bad surprise ! I doweled the ¼" hole.

plug .jpg

I hate Tele knobs on a Les Paul. They got replaced by silver top hats, what else.

Knobs.jpg

Ordered a tailpiece to replace the wiggle stick. Fret polished, fretboard deDNAded and oiled new 9-42 strings on, action and relief adjusted, back of neck finish dulled (Scotch Brite), it just needs intonation tweaked a bit. It's a good player and its tone is dark, dark as its color, I like that.

Here are a few glamour shots in the fading outside light.

03.jpg

01.jpg
02.jpg

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
You know, that may not be the vaunted "3A flamed top", but that is a pretty grain and a nice looking axe. Screw the cork sniffing, I like that guitar. I'm sure you will give it a good set up and make it play like a 5 grand custom and that's all that counts. I'd be proud to add that one to my stable. :dude:

papagayo

Reaction score
I like that finish, Gibson Studio and Tribute are not cheap guitars.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Man, that's a nice looking guitar! Grain like that looks SO much better than those prissy flame tops. That pic with the hanging case is priceless, I'm not sure why, but I laughed. Points as well for losing that ugly whatever it was. Slick, that's what that guitar is.

Latest posts