NGD GIBSON FLYING V 70'S TRIBUTE

MR D

Reaction score
NGD, 2021 FLYING V '70's TRIBUTE

Good as a CHINA WHITE GETS , I mean Alpine white.....
I'm kinda shocked by this Guitar...but its as close to a '67 Re-issue a USA Line is getting. The Pickup's=NA$TY !

Not a blemish on it, JUST PERFECT. The Slim-Taper neck is FULL in my hand and is more a Rounded 'C' profile than an S.T., which is another bonus as that was my single concern. Rolled White Binding is Fine Touch.

This V is a better sounding guitar than the one w/BB2/3 combo, the Explorer I got with those P-up's is underwhelming.

While tryin to edit this I erased the whole damn post, LOL ! So in one word, FRIKKIN ROCKIN' !

upload_2021-10-8_15-40-38.jpeg

Got it direct from GIBSON, the only place I could find one. I O Abiding Dude a few drinks or.......for giving me the heads up ! Nice One 'DUDE' !

Last edited:

Huntroll

Reaction score
Now you can set up your most powerful amps on the far ends of your domain and get some
righteous roaring feedback happening and blast off to the moon !

MR D

Reaction score
Now you can set up your most powerful amps on the far ends of your domain and get some
righteous roaring feedback happening and blast off to the moon !

Exactly, cops are on their way...and I am outta here ! Come back later when the coast is clear AND DO IT AGAIN, BWAH HA AH !!

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Nice, I'm up to two Vs now, love them, so comfortable to play and they sound and look great.

Exactly, U kno, this FLYING 'V' just has a feel to it.....Of course it ROARS, but its also got that 'IT' factor......I almost got the B-2 but it had the Hagbag.......The Dirty Fingers+ in those had me considering it, glad I balked...this one is the real dealio......ITS a better all round guitar....not a CUSTOM, but close. It came down to this Guitar or the 'Monkey' SG...I aint a lefty.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Congrats! I had a nice 70’s V in the 80’s.

NICE, WOW, After getting this Guitar I bet you wish you still had it ? I looked at the '67 R.I. and one particular 'V' in person from the '70's to see if this Guitar was/is correct, yes? And it is: No Headstock Logo just Truss Rod Logo(3 screws) and serial# on back of Head-Stock, Alnico 5 Magnet Humbuckers, Over-Fret Neck Binding, T-O-M (or ABR-1, rather have Tommy) Stop-Bar Combo. No String thru Body and No short Maestro is difference between this and the '67 R.I., and thats ok w/me. This has better Tuning-Machines, (Chromed Grovers') IMO.

This Guitar is only the 2nd or 3rd Guitar I have bought new that had absolutely no scratches, or slight ding/paint impression anywhere on the guitar...not even a string marking. It arrived in 100% PERFECT condition as did the HScase. Shipped in only One GIBSON Box too. The Fret-Board isn't dry as a washed out old Hag which was the case w/a couple axes I got in the fairly recent past. Dealing w/GIBSON direct has No Sales Tax and Free-Shipping, Guitar in-hand in 3 days...not bad and as play b4 pay is getting rarer there is certainly no longer the need for the ON-LINE RETAILERS. As a Credit Card w/0% Interest substitutes nicely for the 0% financing dealio's.
BIG BIG BIG TNX to ABIDING DUDE for mentioning GIBSON Direct, better chance of getting a defect free axe looks like, NTM I saved $250.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
My 70’s had a more rounded headstock. Gibson could have nailed it with that detail. A natural mahogany with rounded V headstock and t-top humbuckers would be my old one. I’ve had 3 others too but that was the one.

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
Nice Cream Flying Veeeeee !

Congrats!

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Had they done a proper rounded 70’s headstock with a beefy rounded neck, it would have been perfect. The rounded headstock and raised fretboard at the neck joint were the defining features of a 70’s Flying V.

I’ve had a few ‘67 RI Flying V in the past. My first Flying V was a 1981 candy apple red with bound neck.

MR D

Reaction score
Had they done a proper rounded 70’s headstock with a beefy rounded neck, it would have been perfect. The rounded headstock and raised fretboard at the neck joint were the defining features of a 70’s Flying V.

I’ve had a few ‘67 RI Flying V in the past. My first Flying V was a 1981 candy apple red with bound neck.

CB, The Neck on this is not like any Slim-Taper I ever played...A.I.M.'d its more of a Rounded 'C' than anything else. Almost nothing is perfect but this Flying 'V' gets pretty close without the CUSTOM shop '67 R.I. price tag. I've not a complaint nor regret...in FACT its an AWESOME Guitar and I'm psyched I got one before GIBSON sold out 36 hours after I ordered it. I figured that the guitar is BAD-A$$ when I ordered it, and that was 100% confirmed as soon as I played it. I've yet to do a proper set up on it, but out of the box its close enough to what I will do to it to let it go for a few more days, no sense to throw out good strings.
Having never played A Flying 'V' prior to this Guitars arrival, I had no reference point to compare it to another 'V'. BUT I'm glad that one thing I surely know is an Excellent guitar when I play one.

ruster1

Reaction score
NGD, 2021 FLYING V '70's TRIBUTE

Good as a CHINA WHITE GETS , I mean Alpine white.....
I'm kinda shocked by this Guitar...but its as close to a '67 Re-issue a USA Line is getting. The Pickup's=NA$TY !

Not a blemish on it, JUST PERFECT. The Slim-Taper neck is FULL in my hand and is more a Rounded 'C' profile than an S.T., which is another bonus as that was my single concern. Rolled White Binding is Fine Touch.

This V is a better sounding guitar than the one w/BB2/3 combo, the Explorer I got with those P-up's is underwhelming.

While tryin to edit this I erased the whole damn post, LOL ! So in one word, FRIKKIN ROCKIN' !

View attachment 45903

Got it direct from GIBSON, the only place I could find one. I O Abiding Dude a few drinks or.......for giving me the heads up ! Nice One 'DUDE' !
Great V.. I had a 1991 67 reissue that had a Duncan Distortion in the bridge.. (the original pup i still have, not sure what it was? and have to look up the specs for a 1991 - 67 RI.. Mine had a truss rod or neck issue.. had a natural bow and had to adjust the TR often when not playing it.. just didn't bond with it, but it was the coolest looking guitar.. i dug up a few pics.. I traded it for a SPLAWN Quick Rod.. a good trade 6 years ago i think.. mine had the black headstock 20180717_085239_resized.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
U R correct, that is one really COOL looking Axe, WOW ! ! It sux that GIBSON lets a few turkeys out the door, but it seems they just do. Sounds like yours had an issue from the get-go, yes? FFS, on a R.I. too...ugh ! that is really too bad...that looks like a keeper to me.
Did that one have a 'Stinger' on it ? IDK if those guitars had one. Finding the specs may take a while. I do fail to see the point of those things BUT they add a li'l something extra that people sometimes appreciate. Even the term 'Stinger' sounds Scorpion like, and on a 'V' or Explorer it fits the bill.
I mentioned above that this is the 1st Flying 'V' I ever played.. and its BAD-ASS. I took my time and looked at the specs of the recent offerings and figured this was the one to order. I could not find a single 'V' to play b4 I ordered it as not a single store in the multiple USA Cities I was in had one, not one anywhere.....so glad I got it b4 GIBSON sold out. Right after I ordered it direct from GIBSON, within hours, it was 'Out-of-Stock' !
Had I got one sooner I am sure I would've gone thru a few of them by now.
CHEERS BRO !

ruster1

Reaction score
Mine was a run of the mill 67-RI.. no stinger.. it was great to play but the neck adjustments got old.. BTW.. love your bound fretboard.. looks killer.. enjoy it.. love Gibbys.. my new gift of a 2008 SG Biablo is silver has squashed my GAS problem for now.. (The V had me in "Balls to the Wall" mode for quite a while with the alpine white finish..) yours has the ACCPET vibe wit the white headstock..

MR D

Reaction score
Nice Cream Flying Veeeeee !

Congrats!

Thanks Bro. U kno, I looked at the specs on this years on-line "Exclusives", 'Standards'(T) , B-2 and the Custom Shop Re-Issues and for the Money, I figured this 'TRIBUTE' was the one...and as far as I kno, IT IS !!
Not much difference (Price Tag 4 sure!) between it and the R.I.'s, String thru Body, Ebony Fret-Board (IDK ?) and handi-work but I cant say enough good things about this new 'V'.
I saw a video lesson by Orianthi where she is playing one and she mentioned it was a gift from GBSON and that it's an AWESOME guitar......it does blow the strings off of the 2018 Explorer T (Standard) Elite (Gold H'ware makes it Elite, LOL !) I have, and that Explorer is no slouch either. ...its just that this Flying 'V' is, WOWO.... the shizzle !

MR D

Reaction score
Mine was a run of the mill 67-RI.. no stinger.. it was great to play but the neck adjustments got old.. BTW.. love your bound fretboard.. looks killer.. enjoy it.. love Gibbys.. my new gift of a 2008 SG Biablo is silver has squashed my GAS problem for now.. (The V had me in "Balls to the Wall" mode for quite a while with the alpine white finish..) yours has the ACCPET vibe wit the white headstock..

Yeah Bro, the Rolled Binding really adds to the guitar (one of a few reasons why) and GIBSON says its a Slim-Taper Neck BUT I say NO....its more Rounded 'C' and compared to my '18 Explorer w/Slim-Taper Neck...its a Rounded 'C'. Big +++++++ there.
I know what u mean about the GAS, it always comes back , yes? The FLYING 'V' does screeeem '80's Metal all day long ! (Scorpions, RATT, Satch, Schenker Bros....)...Once ya get bit, there no stoppin it !!!
CHEERS BRO !

Latest posts