NGD GIBSON FLYING V 70'S TRIBUTE

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I had a 1990, 1991, 2001 '67 RI Flying V.
Stock pickups were 500T and 496R.

The vintage 1970's Flying V have the fretboard stepped up high where it joins the body. That was the reason many people back in the day added pickup rings, to elevate the pickups closer to the strings.

The new 70's Flying V has the exact same headstock shape as the '67 RI. That's the only pet peeve I have with it, marketing it as a 70's Flying V with the incorrect headstock shape for that era.

Pictured below:
2001 Flying V
2006 Explorer

The 2001 Flying V had an Ebony finish from the factory. I sent it out for a refinish to Natural.

full

Last edited:

YOSTINATOR

Reaction score
Congrats Mr. D!

I have the 70s Explorer and I have been waiting for my 70s Flying V that I ordered WAY back in February from Sweetwater. I hope to get it soon!

Attachments

• 20210625_123445-01.jpeg
    20210625_123445-01.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 1

MR D

Reaction score
I had a 1990, 1991, 2001 '67 RI Flying V.
Stock pickups were 500T and 496R.

The vintage 1970's Flying V have the fretboard stepped up high where it joins the body. That was the reason many people back in the day added pickup rings, to elevate the pickups closer to the strings.

The new 70's Flying V has the exact same headstock shape as the '67 RI. That's the only pet peeve I have with it, marketing it as a 70's Flying V with the incorrect headstock shape for that era.

Pictured below:
2001 Flying V
2006 Explorer

The 2001 Flying V had an Ebony finish from the factory. I sent it out for a refinish to Natural.

full

#OLY $#!ZZLE C.B., AWESOME 'V' and EXPLORER's imma sure. Is that a Granadillo Fret-Board on the EXPLORER? the Redish Hue has me figuring it is....U kno, the new 'V' I got has the Pickups mounted to the underside of the Pickguard, like the Batwing SG's started doing in '66-'67..I haven't taken it apart but I'm figuring that to be the case as there is no ontrol Pocket.......The new '70's TRIBUTE, unlike the '67 'V' Re-Issues, has Pick-Up Mounting-Rings as well. I am figuring it is to get the strings parallel to the pickups as much as possible ? or for looks? or both ? IDK....as I do not have a '67 R.I. as a ref point. IDK, but did the '70's Flying 'V's have Mounting Rings as well as the Pickguard attached P-Up's ? Good question ?

MR D

Reaction score
Congrats Mr. D!

I have the 70s Explorer and I have been waiting for my 70s Flying V that I ordered WAY back in February from Sweetwater. I hope to get it soon!

THANKS BRO !! I appreciate that ! The '70's Tribute P-Up's have the heavier A5 Magnets and are heavier sounding than the regular BB2/3 combo in the straight up Explorer, great choice ! I got a Head's up from 'Abiding Dude' to order one my new 'V' from GIBSON directly...so w/Free Shipping and Zero Sales Tax, I did just that. SCORE ! Right after I ordered it the GIBSON website stated the Guitar was/is 'SOLD OUT'.
I have dealt w/SWEETWATER and they do get the job done....I'm pretty sure you could keep an eye on the GIBSON webpage, and when one becomes available (they will have one b4 SWEETWATER, I would speculate, yes?), order it (Guitar in hand in 3 days) and then cancel the order with SWEETWATER, yes? Unless you paid for it already? BUT, IDT SWEETWATER hits your credit card until the guitar is actually shipped? IDK, and due diligence is req'd, YMMV, but its worth a shot....GAS being GAS and all....

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
#OLY $#!ZZLE C.B., AWESOME 'V' and EXPLORER's imma sure. Is that a Granadillo Fret-Board on the EXPLORER? the Redish Hue has me figuring it is....U kno, the new 'V' I got has the Pickups mounted to the underside of the Pickguard, like the Batwing SG's started doing in '66-'67..I haven't taken it apart but I'm figuring that to be the case as there is no ontrol Pocket.......The new '70's TRIBUTE, unlike the '67 'V' Re-Issues, has Pick-Up Mounting-Rings as well. I am figuring it is to get the strings parallel to the pickups as much as possible ? or for looks? or both ? IDK....as I do not have a '67 R.I. as a ref point. IDK, but did the '70's Flying 'V's have Mounting Rings as well as the Pickguard attached P-Up's ? Good question ?

Correction on Explorer:
The one in photo is a 2012.
Yes on Granadillo fretboard.
2012 was the year they switched from rosewood to alternative woods.

That guitar was a warranty replacement for the 2006 that had to be sent back 6 years later for a defective truss rod.

None of the 1970’s Flying V were shipped from the factory with pup rings. Those 1970’s Flying V with pup rings often seen played by Schenker, Downing, Hoffmann, etc were not stock. They were added on.

The rings help level the pups and on the 1970’s models the fretboard sits higher where it joins the body. The rings help raise the pups higher closer to the strings.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
U R THE MAN C.B. !!!

and, FFS, I had to take the pick guard off after I loosened the toggle switch to get the plastic off the Pick-Guard under the Toggle switch washer..... the Neck P-up Ground wire was touching another wire shorting out the Neck P-Up....its was a real PITA just to adjust a wire placement 1/8", u kno? .....haul off the 15 screws/P-up's to get the entire Guard up...N E Way, what I figured was the case...IS !
The Mounting Rings are a good touch and have the strings PERFECTLY parallel.
The pickup's (A5 Magnets) in this guitar really make it a BRUTE ! Stands out in the mix as I heard yesterday...Guitar just dominates. Was looking for word to describe the guitars Tone in the mix...and that's accurate.
Cheers !

MR D

Reaction score
HNGD
Now you can practice up on your Albert King licks.

THANK YOU !
OH Yes I do, and have already...Funny you mention Albert King. I've been using a slight variation of Albert's Set-Up specs from his 'Lucy' Flying 'V' since I saw Dan Erlewine posted it somewhere about 5-7 years ago. I tried the specs out on a Les Paul and thought is was just right for a GIBSON 12" Radius Board. So now I am using those specs on just about all of my Guitars. Only variation I do is closing the relief to .004" @ 9TH Fret whereas Mr King had 'Lucy's Neck Relief set at .009" @ 9th Fret.
Of the 3 'KING's, Albert was the MAN whose Style/Tone impressed me the most. Albert and Chester Burnette.

skelt101

Reaction score
Still rocking the V, @MR D ? What's your take on the pickups? I just got a (slightly) used one. Haven't had a chance to plug it into the rig yet, but have made a few "modifications"!

MR D

Reaction score
Still rocking the V, @MR D ? What's your take on the pickups? I just got a (slightly) used one. Haven't had a chance to plug it into the rig yet, but have made a few "modifications"!
Yeah Man, I still have it, THE PICKUP's FUCKIN ROCK !All I did to it, out of the box, was adjust the pole pieces to the radius, and it just SCREEMS ! It was ROCKIN enough right out of the box as well, but I did eventually do a set up to my prefs on it anyway.The pickups are like a cross between '57's & '61 R&T, the clarity of the '57's and the heftiness of the '61R....kinda like the best of both of those pickup's all in one. I will be shocked if you are not blown away by the '70's Flying V Tribute, its a step above your every day average GIBSON Standard.

THIS 70'S Tribute 'V' 's I think are kinda special, they're just not an every day beatings kinda guitar....and....it takes a lot for me to say that too, coz I will beat the $#!T out of just about any guitar out there....BUT IDK, this Flying V 70's Tribute was/is different. I don't want to beat it up...it seems to, UH?..... Respectable (?) ....If you get a new one you will see what I mean....mine arrived flawless.........its actually too nice for just beating on ! Beautiful Guitar, I named her 'VENUS' (What else could I name a WHITE Flying V ?)

Orianthi does a review of one that GIBSON USA gifted to her, its on-line somewhere, Premiere Guitar I think ?, and she raves about hers, that review was one of the big reason's I bought mine....... along with the 70's Tribute Humbuckers. IMO the '70's Tribute Humbuckers in my Flying V sound better than the CUSTOMBUCKERS in my Lester CUSTOM....Heavier is the word I'd use.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Yeah Man, I still have it, THE PICKUP's FUCKIN ROCK !All I did to it, out of the box, was adjust the pole pieces to the radius, and it just SCREEMS ! It was ROCKIN enough right out of the box as well, but I did eventually do a set up to my prefs on it anyway.The pickups are like a cross between '57's & '61 R&T, the clarity of the '57's and the heftiness of the '61R....kinda like the best of both of those pickup's all in one. I will be shocked if you are not blown away by the '70's Flying V Tribute, its a step above your every day average GIBSON Standard.

THIS 70'S Tribute 'V' 's I think are kinda special, they're just not an every day beatings kinda guitar....and....it takes a lot for me to say that too, coz I will beat the $#!T out of just about any guitar out there....BUT IDK, this Flying V 70's Tribute was/is different. I don't want to beat it up...it seems to, UH?..... Respectable (?) ....If you get a new one you will see what I mean....mine arrived flawless.........its actually too nice for just beating on ! Beautiful Guitar, I named her 'VENUS' (What else could I name a WHITE Flying V ?)

Orianthi does a review of one that GIBSON USA gifted to her, its on-line somewhere, Premiere Guitar I think ?, and she raves about hers, that review was one of the big reason's I bought mine....... along with the 70's Tribute Humbuckers. IMO the '70's Tribute Humbuckers in my Flying V sound better than the CUSTOMBUCKERS in my Lester CUSTOM....Heavier is the word I'd use.
I missed this post last year (had Gibson SG forum tunnel vision and never thought to look at any of the other forums). For what its worth now, glad I could point you in the buy direct from Gibson direction. Sounds like you're enjoying the V. I just had a wild hair and bought the Mexican Fender Hendrix Strat. Super curious about that one.

MR D

Reaction score
I missed this post last year (had Gibson SG forum tunnel vision and never thought to look at any of the other forums). For what its worth now, glad I could point you in the buy direct from Gibson direction. Sounds like you're enjoying the V. I just had a wild hair and bought the Mexican Fender Hendrix Strat. Super curious about that one.
Yeah, thatt was very COOL Dude ! I O U a few drinks next time I'm in Vegas !`U kno, I'm kinda scared of playing the V, and the Lester Custom....I have this talent for fuckin things up really good ! So the really good ones I kinda stay away from, and make sure I'm steady for a day or two before I go near them.....I got 2 or 3 like that....But I make up for it and beat-up the rest of 'em really good.

Those WILD HAIR HAIR DAZE, kno what ya mean Bro...sounds like a GREAT day at the 'STORE' for me !!! Bwah Ha Ha!!! "I'LL TAKE THAT, AND THAT.....AND..." ! OMG.....yeah.

I was thinking about Hendrix and his Strats today ! Wonder if he would have dug the Super-Strats of today, u kno? He was playing GIBSON's at the end there for a while (SG & A Flying V ,IIRC, yeah ?), Never did get to ask him if it was the static of the single-coils that made him appreciate the GIBSON's !Definitely what I do not like about those Guitars....skinny ass P-90's, just don't get 'em.

Does the Hendrix Strat hav single coils ? has to, yeah? U kno, I've not played a Fender w/Humbuckers..... ever....maybe get around to that one of these daze, like Keef's Micawber....always liked the sound of that one.....Oh pleez tell me thats the Blonde Tele with the Humbucker.........and I did not **** that one up too !

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
There's some interesting specs on the Hendrix guitar. The neck is upside down, so the low E stretches the longest to the six-in-a-line tuning peg and the high E to the shortest. They put the pick-ups, "Pure Vintage '65 Gray-Bottom Single-Coil," upside down and the bridge pick up is at a reverse angle. The only thing they didn't do, and its a bit baffling because they do it for the SRV Strat, is install a left-handed trem so that the trem bar is seated at the top of the bridge rather than at the bottom. I'm thinking of modding it with a left-handed trem bloc, but it'll wait until I get out of the box, play it and see how it feels.

It certainly would've been interesting to see if Hendrix would have gravitated to playing Gibsons more often had he lived longer. Notice that his choice of models, the SG and Flying V, are easily flipped over to easily modify into a left handed guitar without having to make radical alterations to where the strap buttons are located. I'm reading Charles Cross' biography of Hendrix, "Room Full of Mirrors," right now which has contributed to my current Jimi focus. Super interesting how many of the great artists come from extremely dysfunctional childhoods and poverty.

The only reason not to play your pretty guitars is if you intend to sell them at some point, which, unless you're a pure collector, defeats the purpose of owning them in the first place as a practicing guitarist. Whenever I put the first chip or ding in a guitar, that's when I have to laugh and say,"Well, it's mine now!" A custom relic job has commenced! My cat has a bad habit of helping me custom relic my guitars, he likes to chew on plastic tuning pegs or pointy tips on the headstock, so I have to be careful how I place them so he has no leverage to get at the headstocks.

MR D

Reaction score
There's some interesting specs on the Hendrix guitar. The neck is upside down, so the low E stretches the longest to the six-in-a-line tuning peg and the high E to the shortest. They put the pick-ups, "Pure Vintage '65 Gray-Bottom Single-Coil," upside down and the bridge pick up is at a reverse angle. The only thing they didn't do, and its a bit baffling because they do it for the SRV Strat, is install a left-handed trem so that the trem bar is seated at the top of the bridge rather than at the bottom. I'm thinking of modding it with a left-handed trem bloc, but it'll wait until I get out of the box, play it and see how it feels.

It certainly would've been interesting to see if Hendrix would have gravitated to playing Gibsons more often had he lived longer. Notice that his choice of models, the SG and Flying V, are easily flipped over to easily modify into a left handed guitar without having to make radical alterations to where the strap buttons are located. I'm reading Charles Cross' biography of Hendrix, "Room Full of Mirrors," right now which has contributed to my current Jimi focus. Super interesting how many of the great artists come from extremely dysfunctional childhoods and poverty.

The only reason not to play your pretty guitars is if you intend to sell them at some point, which, unless you're a pure collector, defeats the purpose of owning them in the first place as a practicing guitarist. Whenever I put the first chip or ding in a guitar, that's when I have to laugh and say,"Well, it's mine now!" A custom relic job has commenced! My cat has a bad habit of helping me custom relic my guitars, he likes to chew on plastic tuning pegs or pointy tips on the headstock, so I have to be careful how I place them so he has no leverage to get at the headstocks.
Actually, Dude The ES-335 is ear-marked for my 1st Grandchild, the CUSTOM Lester is going to get left to one of my Children..... so I'm kinda thinking that to leave 'em as they are so they can either sell 'em and get a pocket full of CA$H or play em and have a newish Top-Of-The-line Guitar. So either way its just a courtesy from the Guy that is a big part of them being here thinking about making their day, one fine day...... and the Flying V is just too pretty to **** IT UP....yet ! The V's turn in the rotation is coming up so maybe I'll just get over it and start blastin' !

I really do enjoy beating the $#!T out of my guitars though DUDE ! The EXPLORER especially. IDK why but I think I actually HATE that guitar ! BUT I also love playin it...its been #1 for the last few years as its great to not care about dinging a guitar up...Put a lil ding in it today and didn't even look at the dinger yet. U kno, its the end of those guitars, they just stick out !Every time I turn around, BANG ! into the wall/door/bar it goes....and they are awkward in stands as well, OOPS ! Today just put a set of TURBO Slinky's on it and commenced to beating it immediately "Solid Rock" style....I can't find the last few notes to that lead....seems as if they aren't on the fret-board.

U kno Bro, IDK if my German Shepherd fucked up one of my guitars though ? I made sure when I got him to explicitly drill it into his head NOT to knock the guitar over or start chewing on it, especially not like the Cherry Wood end tables/dresser's he has ruined...he gets a break on everything so far....BUT THE GUITARS ? They aren't all here and the ones that are here now are in their case's most of the time unless they're getting played......IDK, ironically his name is..... what else? GIBSON ! He's AKC all the way and, SO FAR, seems to get that the guitars are off limits. But GIBSON is my Buddy though and since his name is GIBSON if he does wreck one, maybe I'll just let him eat the damn thing ! Wouldn't take too long.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Dude, that's what I was thinking', yes? Same specs on both, imma pretty sure ! The pickup's are really BRUTAL !
Not sure. A question that only ChrisM84 can answer.

It's funny, the only guys that come to my mind as iconic Gibson Flying V players are Albert King and K.K. Downing, and maybe Randy Rhoads before he got his Jackson endorsement?

YOSTINATOR

Reaction score
I finally got my 70s V in May. I ordered the V and Explorer in February of 2021. I received the Explorer two months later. I waited 14 months for the Flying V, but it was well worth the wait. I would be hard pressed to spec them any different from the custom shop. These are incredible production line guitars!

Attachments

• 20220409_153952.jpg
    20220409_153952.jpg
    919.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210625_123445-01.jpeg
    20210625_123445-01.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts