NGD GIBSON FLYING V 70'S TRIBUTE

MR D

Reaction score
Not sure. A question that only ChrisM84 can answer.

It's funny, the only guys that come to my mind as iconic Gibson Flying V players are Albert King and K.K. Downing, and maybe Randy Rhoads before he got his Jackson endorsement?
Does Michael Schencker fit the bill as ICONIC? He does for me, the guy is OUT THERE ... Sonically speaking!

MR D

Reaction score
I finally got my 70s V in May. I ordered the V and Explorer in February of 2021. I received the Explorer two months later. I waited 14 months for the Flying V, but it was well worth the wait. I would be hard pressed to spec them any different from the custom shop. These are incredible production line guitars!
Next time deal with GIBSON USA directly ....if possible.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Does Michael Schencker fit the bill as ICONIC? He does for me, the guy is OUT THERE ... Sonically speaking!
True. "Strangers in the Night" is one of my favorite live albums of all time.

skelt101

Reaction score
GIBSON USA has caught on and upped the price three times since they came out.
For some reason, the "Exclusive" colors (Olive Drab and Ebony) didn't receive the last price hike. They're still at $2,199. I guess Classic White must sell the most.

MR D

Reaction score
For some reason, the "Exclusive" colors (Olive Drab and Ebony) didn't receive the last price hike. They're still at $2,199. I guess Classic White must sell the most.
You got a 'White' one, yes? You must be glad.......I just started playing mine and its Radical, completely BAD-A$$....the white ones are now just as much as I paid for a Lester Standard in 2017 $2399 (and sounds just as good) or some **** like that...I got mine @ the $2199 price point, the day after it went up from $1999......NO TAX was NICE, but no longer.... and free shipping was coolio as well.....Abiding Dude tipped me off to dealio w/GIBSON directly....I still owe him some drinks ! One of these days....

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
You got a 'White' one, yes? You must be glad.......I just started playing mine and its Radical, completely BAD-A$$....the white ones are now just as much as I paid for a Lester Standard in 2017 $2399 (and sounds just as good) or some **** like that...I got mine @ the $2199 price point, the day after it went up from $1999......NO TAX was NICE, but no longer.... and free shipping was coolio as well.....Abiding Dude tipped me off to dealio w/GIBSON directly....I still owe him some drinks ! One of these days....
If you ever make out to Vegas, I'm around...

skelt101

Reaction score
You got a 'White' one, yes? You must be glad.......
Yes, sir! Mine was from Chicago Music Exchange and listed as used. Picked it up for about the same price as they were when originally released. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the bridge Volume "reflector" was broken. However, I had plans to change the knobs anyway. I'll post some pics later, unless you'd prefer I start my own thread.

MR D

Reaction score
If you ever make out to Vegas, I'm around...
DUDE,.... don't be surprised..... !
The 'LUXOR' is my fav Hotel, except in winter....U KNO that place is frikkin freezing inside....there is no way they can afford to heat the entire place, so in Winter the inside common areas are fuckin freezing....So 10 years ago I go strolling in there, yeah........duh ta duh ta duh......... I had just come back from 4 YEARS in the tropics w/no winter jacket .... AH YEAH, **** ME....another one of my great moves.

skelt101

Reaction score
Here’s my contribution to the thread (with the dreaded sideways images):
2C4FDCC0-9260-4319-ADA4-78A9F22420DD.jpeg
Witch hat knobs and TonePros ABR-1 bridge:
02F9AE67-46C8-4CC9-AD0A-F1DF9CD9C46C.jpeg
Gotoh locking tuners with keystone buttons:
08750168-760F-46D5-9C0A-1F6032A7C8BA.jpeg
(Not pictured: Schaller strap locks)

MR D

Reaction score
Yes, sir! Mine was from Chicago Music Exchange and listed as used. Picked it up for about the same price as they were when originally released. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the bridge Volume "reflector" was broken. However, I had plans to change the knobs anyway. I'll post some pics later, unless you'd prefer I start my own thread.
BRO,post it right here... yes? You will get more responses if you post a new thread ...IDK if that matters to you or not BUT I am unable to upload any pictures here lately (Frikkin 'File is too big' message....UGH !)..... I was staying away from mine, I didn't want to **** it up ! Abiding Dude just talked me out of NOT playin it......this Flying V is the 1st one I ever played or owned or even touched and now I don't want to put it down....it sounds just as good as my Les Paul's.....and looks even better....

Looks like yours has minor mods, but nothin radical (witch hats etc...).....these 70's tribute Flying V Guitars were $1999 at 1st (?) then $2199 and now ?.... IDK, what.... $2499 (?)...FFS, $500/25% price hike in a li'l more than a year....at least they're worth it........even the Tuning Machines (IDK if they are the 'PING WORKS' from South Korea as I did not take 'em off...yet !) are frikkin AWESOME....Guitar holds tune no matter how hard I play/bend the strings......

I was going to wait until the USA line released one with the Volume/Tone controls were 3 in-a-row/in-line (instead of the triangle set up) like the originals had, u kno? The CUSTOM Shop 'KORINA' Flying V/Explorer models currently offer that but @ $10 Grand...I will pass......Thing was..... while I was hemming and hawing..... like a ftrikkin cheeepskate..... GIBSON USA upped the price $200 from $1999 to $2199...so I kinda deserved it for being a nit-picking cheep-skate......I did conclude though that it would probably be a long wait so I ate the $200 (also gave myself a good kick in the arse) and I am glad I did as the guitar is a flat-out MONSTER !! I'm pretty sure you agree.

Last edited:

skelt101

Reaction score
BRO,post it right here... yes? You will get more responses if you post a new thread ...IDK if that matters to you or not BUT I am unable to upload any pictures here lately (Frikkin 'File is too big' message....UGH !)..... I was staying away from mine, I didn't want to **** it up ! Abiding Dude just talked me out of NOT playin it......this Flying V is the 1st one I ever played or owned or even touched and now I don't want to put it down....it sounds just as good as my Les Paul's.....and looks even better....

Looks like yours has minor mods, but nothin radical (witch hats etc...).....these 70's tribute Flying V Guitars were $1999 at 1st (?) then $2199 and now ?.... IDK, what.... $2499 (?)...FFS, $500/25% price hike in a li'l more than a year....at least they're worth it........even the Tuning Machines (IDK if they are the 'PING WORKS' from South Korea as I did not take 'em off...yet !) are frikkin AWESOME....Guitar holds tune no matter how hard I play/bend the strings......

I was going to wait until the USA line released one with the Volume/Tone controls were 3 in-a-row/in-line (instead of the triangle set up) like the originals had, u kno? The CUSTOM Shop 'KORINA' Flying V/Explorer models currently offer that but @ $10 Grand...I will pass......Thing was..... while I was hemming and hawing..... like a ftrikkin cheeepskate..... GIBSON USA upped the price $200 from $1999 to $2199...so I kinda deserved it for being a nit-picking cheep-skate......I did conclude though that it would probably be a long wait so I ate the $200 (also gave myself a good kick in the arse) and I am glad I did as the guitar is a flat-out MONSTER !! I'm pretty sure you agree.
Yes, mine has a few modest modifications. I was going for a combination of looking more 70s period-correct and modern performance. Very happy with the results!

FWIW, the Grovers are Ping Works. Not that they are bad, but I feel Gotohs are superior in every way. Same mounting footprint, but lighter, locking convenience, shorter string post for increased break angle over the nut, smoother action, and more robust construction.

The only thing I’m not completely sure about is the neck pickup. I usually use that position for cleans, so something like a SD Jazz or T-Top might be more suitable to me. But as you said, this guitar is a freaking monster!

For a Gibson USA Flying V with the controls in-line, you might look for a 98 Limited Edition. I used to have one (bought it on clearance for about $600), but traded it in almost 20 years ago on a Martin dreadnought that I still have.

p21836H-a16e0f404804b6a96f97775cc58e5023.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
Yes, mine has a few modest modifications. I was going for a combination of looking more 70s period-correct and modern performance. Very happy with the results!

FWIW, the Grovers are Ping Works. Not that they are bad, but I feel Gotohs are superior in every way. Same mounting footprint, but lighter, locking convenience, shorter string post for increased break angle over the nut, smoother action, and more robust construction.

The only thing I’m not completely sure about is the neck pickup. I usually use that position for cleans, so something like a SD Jazz or T-Top might be more suitable to me. But as you said, this guitar is a freaking monster!

For a Gibson USA Flying V with the controls in-line, you might look for a 98 Limited Edition. I used to have one (bought it on clearance for about $600), but traded it in almost 20 years ago on a Martin dreadnought that I still have.

p21836H-a16e0f404804b6a96f97775cc58e5023.jpg
WOW SKELT, that's the one, right there......U DA MAN !! I was wondering how far back I'd hav 2 go 2 find one! TNX, U frikkin ROCK ! ! Gee-zous !! Only 25 years...and of course it would be missing the Neck Binding, IF IF IF I could find one...I consider the Dot In-Lays w/Neck Binding one of the BIG BIG BIG bonus's on the new '70's Tribute 'V'....I had the GAS for a Flying 'V' really bad, sick of waiting I was....So, it was between the CUSTOM, B-2, the regular Standard issue and the '70's Tribute...the CUSTOM was out because of the String Thru Chevron Stop-Piece. The regular Standard was out because of the under-whelming BB2 & BB3 pickup's. So it was really between the B-2, that has the 'Dirty Fingers' P-up's (OOH BABY) and the '70's Tribute that has the A5 Mag Humbuckers and the Dot In-lay Neck Binding...and in Alpine WHITE.....the choice was not difficult to make as even without playing it I just knew the '70's Tribute 'V' is a frikkin MONSTER...I just had to hope GIBSON shipped me a good one !

I've learned that waiiting for GIBSON USA TO ISSUE A GUITAR w/the exact specs I Want on it can be ridiculously long and arduous wait..... I used to have patience enough to wait, but not so much these days !

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!!!!

MR D

Reaction score
Here’s my contribution to the thread (with the dreaded sideways images):
View attachment 49291
Witch hat knobs and TonePros ABR-1 bridge:
View attachment 49292
Gotoh locking tuners with keystone buttons:
View attachment 49293
(Not pictured: Schaller strap locks)
Wow, Skelt , just frikkin' AWESOME..the Keystones really NAIL IT !!...I was going to wait for one w/straight in a row volume/tone controls ,like the originals....but I figured it will probably be a long wait like when it Took CUSTOM Shop 7 Years for CUSTOMBUCKERS (not 490's like all other reg production LP Customs since 2012) and Ebony Fret-Board on the Lester CUSTOM I got in '19). The aesthetic improvements on yours above are easily reversible and personal preferences ...... BUT the Tone-Pro's Bridge intrigues me...is there a performance or Tonal quality improvement ? or is that personal preference as well/both ? IIRC Tone-Pro's has a locking mechanism ?

One thing I look for now on the GIBSON's I buy is that the specs be as close to exactly what I want the guitar to have. I figure I am plunking down BIG BUCKS (Big Bucks for a Not Rich Guy, yes?) and don't want to spend a dime on the guitar after I buy it, except the Schaller 'S' Locks and Italian Leather Strap. this FLYING 'V", for me, its perfect right from the factory (but I might change the buttons to KEYSTONES now that I C yours) '70's tribute Pickup's are Sooooo BAD-A$$.....

skelt101

Reaction score
Wow, Skelt , just frikkin' AWESOME..the Keystones really NAIL IT !!...I was going to wait for one w/straight in a row volume/tone controls ,like the originals....but I figured it will probably be a long wait like when it Took CUSTOM Shop 7 Years for CUSTOMBUCKERS (not 490's like all other reg production LP Customs since 2012) and Ebony Fret-Board on the Lester CUSTOM I got in '19). The aesthetic improvements on yours above are easily reversible and personal preferences ...... BUT the Tone-Pro's Bridge intrigues me...is there a performance or Tonal quality improvement ? or is that personal preference as well/both ? IIRC Tone-Pro's has a locking mechanism ?

One thing I look for now on the GIBSON's I buy is that the specs be as close to exactly what I want the guitar to have. I figure I am plunking down BIG BUCKS (Big Bucks for a Not Rich Guy, yes?) and don't want to spend a dime on the guitar after I buy it, except the Schaller 'S' Locks and Italian Leather Strap. this FLYING 'V", for me, its perfect right from the factory (but I might change the buttons to KEYSTONES now that I C yours) '70's tribute Pickup's are Sooooo BAD-A$$.....
Thanks, D! Totally agree on the keystone buttons (and the Schaller S Locks)! And like you said, should I ever want/need to go back to stock, everything would be easily reversable. If you wanted to keep the Grover tuners and just change the buttons, Hipshot makes some replacements (they call them Tulips) in several metal finishes and plastic that can usually be found for a decent price. I've done that swap before- takes all but 5 minutes.

Regarding the TonePros bridge: Yes, they have little set screws that lock the unit onto the height adjustment posts. (I also went with locking studs for the tailpiece.) In my opinion, the main benefit is from a maintenance standpoint. All the strings can be removed without worrying the bridge height will accidentally get bumped or the tailpiece falling off. Also, the ABR-1 bridge is narrower than the Nashville style. This allows for a greater string break-angle over the saddles without hitting the back of the bridge. "They" say the result is improved tuning stability and sustain. I didn't conduct any scientific comparisons, but I doubt the TonePros setup hurts anything! All these mods (tuner buttons, bridge, knobs) look a little more "period-correct" to me for a '70s Flying V. :dude:

Latest posts