NGD - Ugly Duckling MIK SG

Dave_11

Reaction score
I've been on the hunt for a Korean made SG ever since borrowing a friend's and discovering how good these are. A couple of weeks ago I saw this 1996 SG pop up on eBay. It has a horribly mismatched piece of mahogany in the upper bout and I would normally not even consider it for this, but the more I looked at it the more it grew on me. After I bought it, the seller emailed me and said that he just realized the neck pickup did not work and offered a $50 discount, so that made the deal even sweeter. When I got it I opened up the back plate and the wiring (although untouched and factory) was a mess, with two or three wires broken off at the solder joint. One wire even broke off at the other attachment point and fell out as I was looking at it. I'm not sure why the wires were breaking, because the tuners, brindge, etc. were all in good condition and uncorroded. The bridge tone pot was very crunchy when turned, and then got stuck on a low tone setting, so I decided to gut it and replace all the controls. I finally got it hooked up this weekend and everything works great. The guitar is in fantastic condition for it's age, with only one ding in the back of the neck. It plays and sounds great, and I don't think I could have gotten a nicer one. The mismatched wood doesn't bother me at all. The only fault I can find is that the neck is a bit overset. The bridge is set somewhat high, but by no means maxed out. I did a top wrap to reduce the break angle.

Attachments

• sg-1.jpg
    sg-1.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 26
  • sg-2.jpg
    sg-2.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 26
  • sg-3.jpg
    sg-3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 26

DrBGood

Reaction score
That's a nice one. I had a 1998 for a while that was real heavy, LP like heavy. Didn't keep it because of that.

Annonce 2.jpg

Dave_11

Reaction score
I haven't weighted it, but this one is light -- lighter than my buddy's that I borrowed. Almost no neck dive though.

That's some really nice wood grain on your 98. Too bad you had to sell it.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Not such an ugly duckling, haha! I was expecting much worse! Glad most of your problems were easily sorted. It sounds like a complete player's set up is in order to possibly lower the action and make a real swan of this "ugly duckling". If you haven't done a full set up starting with the nut slot depth and truss rod adjustments etc. before, it might be worth soliciting the help of someone who has (and maybe even get them to teach you a bit about how it is done). A full set up is absolutely something you can do yourself, even on a kitchen table, but you will need to be pretty familiar with how all the neck, nut, bridge, and string geometry work together to give the best possible action.

Hope it all continues to work out well and you wind up with a real keeper. If you get it playing like a million bucks, it will become more beautiful with every passing daythe longer you own it. :D

Latest posts