No thread here

DrBGood

Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't bare to read the whole background info, I went straight to the pics.

My suggestion still: bring it to a qualified luthier.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
I own a 2003(sold in 2004) Gibson SG Standard Faded with Ebony Fretboard and Crescent Moon Inlays. The guitar is very special to me for a lot of reasons but mainly this:
I was a senior in undergrad in Athens GA. Been playing since 16 and I'd wanted an SG every day. The faded line with the Ebony Frets with crescent inlays were going to be discontinued- Gibson was keeping the Faded Line but not with the Ebony and Crescent inlays. My sis is 3 yrs older and she was finishing her PhD same Uni. Musicians Friend had some, Guitar Center had some(a pretty penny), and the MF catalog indicated that the Ebony with Crescent's were gone. There was much swearing that day. My birthday was about 4 days off and I was going to order a solid painted SG with rosewood fingerboard, dot inlays. I was about to take and load my prepaid and I heard my sis yell for me to wait before I left her townhouse. She had bought me the SG. I had "loaned" her $300 and she took the rest from her bank account and when they were in stock with the Ebony Fingerboard and the Crescents, sis had bought me one. Hid it in her townhouse. As I was about to have a painted SG- sis had bought me a Faded with Crescent Inlays I had been lusting over since late 2001. They had a name for these- it wasn't voodoo because the voodoo was black and only marked at the 12th fret, there was another guitar like this in the SG line that had an Ebony fingerboard and only the 12th fret was marked, and marked with a Crescent Moon.

During a move when I went to work in Louisiana, I had it in a road case and it was buckled in the back seat of my Jeep Cherokee(XJ). There were zero panic stops and zero chances for it to be damaged. I had no strings on it.

Well, I get to Louisiana and I get my amp setup and I open the case with my SG and the neck had snapped at the headstock. There was no explanation. The only saving grace was it was a clean break. I took it to a guy who was supposed to be a really good luthier back in Georgia and I did not know he had a brain tumor. He stole one guitar of mine(I never got it back) and I had to have the Sheriff's office come and have them force him to give me back my SG. When I got it back, even though I had it back, the way he had sludged epoxy in and not taken much care really screwed with me and I was almost as upset as when the headstock was broken. He died of a tumor a few months later.

Since then, I have continued to play it. I took playing up again in around 2013-2014 when there were dire predictions for the future of Gibson. That was the year I bought a Les Paul Studio Deluxe. After I got my SG back, I was loading a trailer for this couple that was moving and my fretting hand was... smushed when the husband pushed forward on a welder he owned and my hand was between the back of the trailer and his welder(a big tig unit). The peripheral nerve damage is bad enough in my left(fretting hand) my neurologist gave me 600mg of Gabapentin(120 a month) and I take Vitamin C several times a day.

In the mean time I also had my SG altered to where it would stay in tune. One luthier recommended a locking nut ala floyd rose, another said "Locking Tuners dude". I went with locking tuners. I noticed during a lot of playing during the pandemic- the guitar was no longer staying in tune even with locking tuners. Examing the break revealed that it was coming apart. Since then I have kept it in a roadcase in a humidity controlled environment. Last I checked- a .010 Starrett feeler gauge will now fit into the edge of where it is coming apart. I do not normally keep strings on it because I do not want tension on the neck.

I contacted Gibson repair and restoration and I explained I understand that it will cost what buying a new SG is likely to cost but if I could get the neck replaced with my fretboard with crescent inlays put on, I'd pay. I had to send them some pictures with a straight edge at the 12th fret.

Oh, and if you want cosmic weirdness.... when the water had quickened and the creeks gone muddy in 2013, I went to a Guitar Center location that was closing and they had a "burn off" of Gibson's. This was about the time the company was reported to be going into an uncontrolled nose dive. SG's were there, and I saw a faded that they weren't putting out. I asked if I could look at it and the manager said "Yeah. For sure." It was a 2001 SG still with the plastic over the pickguard and the "Made in the USA" with Flag sticker on it, and it was by date- a late 2001 build of the crescent inlay with ebony. It had a ding at the headstock and I paid $600 cash.

Below the gallery at Imgur shows my original Crescent Inlay Ebony Fingerboard SG. If I could get the neck replaced, I would. It has been 2 weeks plus since I sent Gibson pictures and I have heard- nothing. I have the funds put aside that if they would replace the neck or repair it such that it has the same sustain it had when new- I'd let them do either one and they can molest my wallet all they want- because you can't take money with you. I'll be buried with this guitar and a Hiwatt head from the Sterling era. Be nice if they worked so that I can be like the ancient egyptians and enjoy them in the afterlife.

Can the neck be replaced ? If they were to take and graft in another piece of mahoghany and a volute for strength would it ever have the same sustain ?

I acquired some blocks of mahoghany and some blocks of maple. They're long 6x6" blocks that are meant to be cut and planed for expensive ass flooring. I have spoken with one luthier and he said my guitar is screwed but he could do a neck-thru neck and pickup mounting. He suggested he could hide that it is a neck thru by having the wings same thickness as the center section, he'd use all my guitar's electronics, pickups, wiring and he could make the neck to take the ebony fingerboard. I have played one of his neck thru SG's and one of his neckthru Ripple models(that's what he calls his Firebird/Thunderbird). Sustain for ages. About the heaviest stuff I play is Black Sabbath or Zepplin. The guy who offered to do a neck-thru worked for Grover Jackson and he built "artist" guitars. I am restoring his Lotus Europa JPS TC- when I converted his Lotus Excel to D'ellorto's he bought me a boutique Hiwatt(the Excel he imported from Britain and the injection system someone tried to adapt never worked), He offered to build me a neck-thru SG as thank you for his JPS TC restoration. View attachment 49047 View attachment 49048 View attachment 49049 View attachment 49050 View attachment 49051 View attachment 49052 View attachment 49053 View attachment 49054 View attachment 49055 View attachment 49056
Here is this damaged guitar:

I agree with Dr. B. You may have had an encounter with a disreputable (or perhaps mentally impaired) luthier, but really there is no other choice if you truly love the guitar and want to salvage it. It seems an incredibly rare occurrence to actually replace a Gibson neck, Fenders all day (but that's how there were designed), but not Gibsons, which are (seemingly) permanently glued into place. Far, far more common is to use high quality glue to seal the crack. If you haven't done so already, I'd slack the string tension to near zero to prevent the crack from worsening.

I'd go to your local guitar shop(s) (or guitar playing friends) and ask around if anyone knows a reputable luthier and go from there. Perhaps going to the musicians forum on your local Craigslist and running an ad for a luthier might be another way to shop around if you don't live in an accessible urban area.

Latest posts