Noisy Humbuckers

MR D

Reaction score
Back on subject...

I fitted my shielded switch wiring to the LP this afternoon, and I'm pleased to say it has significantly reduced the hum. Not entirely eliminated it, but down to a level that I can't differentiate it over my Marshall Origin50's regular "yeah they all do that" background noise.
GOOD, by 'SWITCH' you mean the Toggle Switch I am figuring ?

It took me a while, thru trial and error, to realize that the SHIELDING of the Toggle Switch Cavity was what needed to be done. I actually had no idea as I am not an Electrician or Electronics Technician. I also never heard a PEEP out of GIBSON USA as to why they stopped putting the Black Shielding Paint on the guitars that I purchased new from March 2017 until April 2021...there were no announcements of any sort, that I saw anyway, from GIBSON USA. AND when I saw that a certain 2020 SG Standard does in fact have the Black Shielding Paint inside the control cavity once again......... it was a surprise as I have become accustomed to seeing just the bare-wood inside the Control Cavity.

I also did get a 2021 FLYING V '70's Tribute that does NOT have a Control Cavity.....I had a problem with one of the pickups shortly after it arrived, yes? This guitar is like the Batwing SG's as it has the Eletronics/pickups attached to the Pick-Guard. When I took off the Pickguard to see if I could attempt to get the sound to come out of the Neck Pickup again I saw what the problem was (two wires touching) and that the back of the Pick-Guard, underneath the Mounted Eletronics had/has a piece of silver coloured tape. This silver tape doesn't look like any Copper Shielding Tape I have ever seen or any Shielding Tape that I have used on my other 'needed-to-be-shielded' guitars, yes?.....B BU BUT..... but the guitar is quiet enough and the sound is back to coming out of the neck pickup again......SOOOOO, I certainly don't care if the Tape is purple....there were also no announcements from GIBSON USA that they had resumed putting SHIELDING Tape on the USA Line electric guitars again either.

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
My factory 2015 SG has zero shielding and is a quiet as a mouse. Maybe the finish they were using is conductive anyway, or maybe all the controls and toggle switch being in one spot, with no long wires from the pots to the switch, is the reason? I don't know, but certainly shielding the wires on my LP has helped. The switch itself is also grounded, so any 60 cycle hum it's picking up should be going straight to ground.

MR D

Reaction score
My factory 2015 SG has zero shielding and is a quiet as a mouse. Maybe the finish they were using is conductive anyway, or maybe all the controls and toggle switch being in one spot, with no long wires from the pots to the switch, is the reason? I don't know, but certainly shielding the wires on my LP has helped. The switch itself is also grounded, so any 60 cycle hum it's picking up should be going straight to ground.
U Kno C.F., I hav no idea...I had thought all sorts of $#!T ! Like The electricity in my Studio was 'Dirty' or somehow I had a pedal w/bad wiring...it just beat the $#!T out of me....and this was beyond annoying....BUT THEN, SWEETWATERs bench tech advised that GIBSON USA was no longer putting the SHIELDING Paint on their Electric guitars......

I am just glad it was all sorted out and that I can now solve the problem if I buy a GIBSON that has not got the Black Shielding Paint from the factory...

U got your problem solved, did you ?

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
The ability to wire a plug was pretty much a rite of passage into manhood when I was young. Electrical equipment was sold without plugs, so the ability to attach one was mandatory. I guess the fire services eventually lobbied the government to make the process illegal. Once moulded-on connectors were a thing, that legislation became easy. Now we only have to deal with the other end of the mains lead - the loathsome IEC connector which loses its ground without telling you.
OK DonP, you are losing me @ IEC connector. Our amp/schematic study the past few years never had that one come up. I'll read up on this new term, Thanks.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Yup, precisely what I envisioned once you explained it, DonP.

So glad this actually is a decent work around, Especially when Builgins are incredibly hard to come by here in the US. When one of my amps or cords for that amp needed a replacement Bulgin, I wound up buying 4 or 5 of them off the UK seller, so I would have enough on hand.

Latest posts