Non-Gibson 490T equivalents

SMJP

Reaction score
I'm looking for an "f-spaced" bridge humbucker that sounds similar to the Gibson 490T for a Strat-type. I have no brand preference. I like the stock 490T in my SG and want something similar for my FGN strat. Anyone here happen to stumble upon a pickup that reminds them of the 490T? thanks.

SMJP

Reaction score
Maybe the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro? The bridge is available in “Trembucker” spacing:
Alnico II Pro
Thanks, I'll check it out. I've listened to a few demos of the Alnico II Pro and like what I'm hearing so far.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm looking for an "f-spaced" bridge humbucker that sounds similar to the Gibson 490T for a Strat-type. I have no brand preference. I like the stock 490T in my SG and want something similar for my FGN strat. Anyone here happen to stumble upon a pickup that reminds them of the 490T? thanks.
DiMarzio PAF DP103 Humbucker 36th Anniversary Pickup

Maguchi

Reaction score
Maybe the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro? The bridge is available in “Trembucker” spacing:
Alnico II Pro

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've listened to a few demos of the Alnico II Pro and like what I'm hearing so far.

+1 for SD A2 Pro. They sound good in a Tele too.
I gotta agree with the Seymour Duncan Alnico II. They call their F spaced humbuckers "Trembucker." I bought an SD Alnoco II Trembucker and an SD Jazz neck a coupla years ago and installed them in my 2 HB MiM Tele. It sounds splendid in the neck position and gnarly in the bridge position. The middle position is sublime.😄 I have a Gibson LP Special HB with the 490T and 490R pickups in it, and yeah, the SD Alnico II sounds similar.
BlueTeleHB.jpg BlueTele2HB.jpg

SMJP

Reaction score
I gotta agree with the Seymour Duncan Alnico II. They call their F spaced humbuckers "Trembucker." I bought an SD Alnoco II Trembucker and an SD Jazz neck a coupla years ago and installed them in my 2 HB MiM Tele. It sounds splendid in the neck position and gnarly in the bridge position. The middle position is sublime.😄 I have a Gibson LP Special HB with the 490T and 490R pickups in it, and yeah, the SD Alnico II sounds similar.
View attachment 49230 View attachment 49229
The demos sound great. I am going to give them a try. Thanks.

Latest posts