Not all p90 SGs same bridge position

funkysoul1

Reaction score
I just realized that not all p90 SGs have in the same place their wraparound bridge.
So custom shop, epiphone and Iommi's have placed the bridge further than mine SG Special 2019.and I'm sure thats causing more treble and brittle sounds from the bridge pickup. That's not make it necessarily better or worst for me but it's a main deference

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
The bridge position has to be the same to have the same scale. It is the position of the pickup that changes and yes, it does make a huge difference in tone. Same on a LP Junior. The further away the P90 from the bridge, the fatter it will sound. I moved mine about 3mm away from where it was and it made me want to keep the guitar instead of selling it.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
The Doctor is of course 100% correct. It pays to remember that one person's "shrill" is another person's "presence", "ping", or "bite". A lot is going to depend on what sound you want, and what sort of amp, settings, and processing you are running. There is variability by design to offer a range of possibilities for a wide range of tastes and rig options. That is why so many of us are constantly stressing that you should try new gear out in person if possible. If it isn't possible, it will at least pay to take things like pickup type, position etc. into account and avoid something that has a low probability of giving you what you want.

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
Do the standard: Adjust the pickup height, adjust the pole pieces, eventually you'll find that sound. In case all fails, get a DiMarizio.

Latest posts