NUGD! 1989 Epi SG

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Found a 1989 Epiphone G-400 SG, the first year they were made. It's a really nice guitar, frets are good. It has a late 60s style neck joint instead of the early 60s joint they all have today. Also, NO VENEERS! It's a 4 piece (maybe 3 but it looks like 4 to me) mahogany body with dot inlays. Open book headstock. I haven't even plugged her in yet but unless something is majorly wrong I'll be keeping it.

Pics.

bNVtESR.jpg

3RU7znd.jpg

oonWEy7.jpg

OEOsW7X.jpg

Look at those horns and bevels!

I'll get some better pics tomorrow when the sun comes up and I can take it outside.

RobV

Reaction score
Nice! Are those MIJ? I thought the open headstocks were MIJ but I am not positive.

DrBGood

Reaction score
NICE ! How do you know it's a 89 ? Seller bought it new ?
If it was refurbished, you'd see where the serial was gouged out.
That TRC shape is usually Korean, isn't it ?
Really nice deep color. More recent Vintage G400 (2004) are without veneer too, as are most Koreans I'd say.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
NICE ! How do you know it's a 89 ? Seller bought it new ?
If it was refurbished, you'd see where the serial was gouged out.
That TRC shape is usually Korean, isn't it ?
Really nice deep color. More recent Vintage G400 (2004) are without veneer too, as are most Koreans I'd say.
I'm just going by what the epi wiki says about Epi G-400 SGs, that the open book headstock was only made in 1989. It definitely matches the shape etc of the guitar in the wiki, and doesn't look like it's been modded.

I definitely believe it's Korean based on era etc. But there's NO serial number. Back of the headstock is completely blank, like it came with a sticker not a stamp.

DrBGood

Reaction score
OK, if it was only made that year, this solves that.
No indication there was a sticker, like a darker rectangle or decolouration, glue residue ?
Could be a prototype ?

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
OK, if it was only made that year, this solves that.
No indication there was a sticker, like a darker rectangle or decolouration, glue residue ?
Could be a prototype ?
What looks like a bit of glue reside. I'll take pics then see if I can clean it off. I don't like sticky reside. And yes, it's in VERY good shape, no heavy wear and tear anywhere.

nprenger

Reaction score
Nice guitar. Do you have any plans for it or are you going to leave it stock?

dub-setter

Reaction score
..noice...

most of the epis i saw had only stickers
as serials or very thin lacered letters,
that could be wiped away easily with age....

those end 80 ties ones are definetly a keeper .. congrats!
wonder how she sounds like..??

Raiyn

Reaction score
Nice guitar. Do you have any plans for it or are you going to leave it stock?
At 27, barring any electrical issues, I'd be inclined to just enjoy it as is. It's likely got better stuff (I could be wrong) under the hood than current versions from China. If it were mine, the most I'd do would be to put on a set of Hipshot locking tuners with the UMP plates so I didn't add any holes. If an offshore Epiphone could be considered collectable, this one would solidly qualify; but that's.... like, my opinion, man.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Actually the tuners work really well. Very smooth. They don't feel like 18:1 or anything, but they work very well. OTOH, these older epis aren't known for having the greatest pickups, but I'll give them their day in court. Meanwhile, my OTHER new SG showed up today. Pics / post coming tomorrow.

Latest posts