Nut Width on Modern SGs

Rocksteady

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently bought a 2021 SG Standard, love the sound and look, but what's up with a wide neck, it just feels extra wide compare to standard 1 11/16 nut width... It says 43.05 mm, isnt it an extra wide? I just prefer narrower fredboards. The only saving grace it's rounded profile, not slim taper. Standard 61' that I tried was basically unplayable for me because of combination of wide nut and thin profile neck, it's a disaster.

Funny that on Custom Shops it's all 42.85 mm, that would be perfect for me, but I can't obviously afford CS. So maybe you know a year standard SGs had a neck with narrower nut width, but I'm not talking late 60's -70's, more recent ones.... Thanks!

zebra

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit and my current thought is that it’s the fretboard getting wider as it travels towards the neck.

I have a les paul and sg both with same nut width but the sg neck gets wildly wider than the LP as it gets closer to the body.

I notice some of the SG custom shop models the neck doesn’t get quite as wide, and also starts out a bit thinner at the nut.

I am not sure which non custom shop models have a less wide fretboard but it would be nice to know.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I don’t know exactly when Gibson got obsessed with slim taper but some late 90’s and early 00’s had a chunkier neck.
I think around ‘05 they called them 50’s and 60’s necks. I bought a ‘19 Standard with a rounded profile thinking it was more like a 50’s. Wrong, it’s a thicker slim taper basically. I’ve heard of some 50’s necks on Les Pauls again but not an SG.

MR D

Reaction score
I don’t know exactly when Gibson got obsessed with slim taper but some late 90’s and early 00’s had a chunkier neck.
I think around ‘05 they called them 50’s and 60’s necks. I bought a ‘19 Standard with a rounded profile thinking it was more like a 50’s. Wrong, it’s a thicker slim taper basically. I’ve heard of some 50’s necks on Les Pauls again but not an SG.
U KNO D.D., just for a laugh I put my Digital caliper on my 2020 SG Standard 'Modern', yes? The GIBSON USA Website sez the NUT Width is 1.69" as I figured it would say..... and that 1.69" equates to 43.05 MM's....so I measured...... and...... DRUM ROLL PLEASE..and the DIGITAL CALIPER SEZ 43.37 MM's measuring from both the top looking down and the bottom looking up....so slightly thicker than advertised.

BTB, the Les Paul SPECIAL I just got w/1950's neck........HOT Damn what a plasure to play that GUITAR is.......the FAT ASS Neck feels as if it was built just for me, and I've not got large hands....I've never really got used to GIBSON's Slim-Taper necks and the last 4 GIBSON's I got all have FATTER Necks and they're all I can play these days.

Rocksteady

Reaction score
It seems that someone decided at Gibson that people who play SGs all came from Classical guitar background lol. Classical guitars have super wide fretboard. But I played a tele for many years, narrow fretboard is so much easier for chord work, when you can wrap your thumb around the neck.... I still love SG, that's the sound I want, just need to find one with playability I need, hopefully without having to go for custom shop option.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently bought a 2021 SG Standard, love the sound and look, but what's up with a wide neck, it just feels extra wide compare to standard 1 11/16 nut width... It says 43.05 mm, isnt it an extra wide? I just prefer narrower fredboards. The only saving grace it's rounded profile, not slim taper. Standard 61' that I tried was basically unplayable for me because of combination of wide nut and thin profile neck, it's a disaster.

Funny that on Custom Shops it's all 42.85 mm, that would be perfect for me, but I can't obviously afford CS. So maybe you know a year standard SGs had a neck with narrower nut width, but I'm not talking late 60's -70's, more recent ones.... Thanks!
Personally, I love the wider neck.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Me too.

Of course I am playing a banjo now too, so when I play 1 9/16 necks they are no longer so skinny.

Rocksteady

Reaction score
Of course everyone has their own preferences, but if there is no choice and it's only goes one way... I mean at least strats or teles are avail in all different specs, you can pick any neck that's suits you.

I imagine if Angus Young was starting his career just now he would have a hard time finding off the shelves SG that he could play lol

smitty_p

Reaction score
Of course everyone has their own preferences,

Oh, absolutely! I do apologize if I came off like I was projecting my preference onto you!

That said, whereas I do like the wider SG neck, I transition pretty seamlessly between that, my thicker Les Paul neck, my Strat, my thin Jackson neck, and even the thick - but narrow - neck on my ‘74 SG.

So, there are things I like, but I don’t get hung up on too much.

Rocksteady

Reaction score
So, there are things I like, but I don’t get hung up on too much.
Yea totally understood, me too, as long as I can get through a gig without my hand start cramping out lol. I'm ok with my SG Standard, it's not ideal but I can play and enjoy. There's a type of necks I can't deal with, when it's wide AND thin, like SG 61', but otherwise no problem.

Your 74' SG sounds like would be a perfect neck for me though, thick and narrow, yea, why don't they make them like that anymore?

Guithartic

Reaction score
I did the calculation. That’s 1/128 of an inch (0.198 of a mm.) bigger than 1 11/16. That is strange that they would increase it by such a tiny amount. Why not just keep it at the usual 1 11/16?

Guithartic

Reaction score
U KNO D.D., just for a laugh I put my Digital caliper on my 2020 SG Standard 'Modern', yes? The GIBSON USA Website sez the NUT Width is 1.69" as I figured it would say..... and that 1.69" equates to 43.05 MM's....so I measured...... and...... DRUM ROLL PLEASE..and the DIGITAL CALIPER SEZ 43.37 MM's measuring from both the top looking down and the bottom looking up....so slightly thicker than advertised.

BTB, the Les Paul SPECIAL I just got w/1950's neck........HOT Damn what a plasure to play that GUITAR is.......the FAT ASS Neck feels as if it was built just for me, and I've not got large hands....I've never really got used to GIBSON's Slim-Taper necks and the last 4 GIBSON's I got all have FATTER Necks and they're all I can play these days.
Try measuring the neck right up next to the nut, not the actual nut itself. I’m thinking that that’s what they mean by “nut width.”

AxemanVR

Reaction score

I was a little surprised with “wide/thin” neck on my new 2022 Gibson SG Special.

While I usually prefer thicker necks, I really like the wider fretboard more!

And, besides, if it were both thick and wide it might be impossible to wrap my hand around it for certain chords (especially ones involving the thumb on the low E string).

So it’s a compromise either way, but one I’ve learned to manage since I can play certain things easier on this guitar… which makes it a keeper for me…

Latest posts