Okay. Maybe I’m nuts or being stupid.

Alanbama

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen those metal guitar nuts for guitar on Amazon? One is adjustable. Do you all know anything about these? I know it may be a gimmick or something but it could be real. I try to be open about these things so I was just wondering. :wow: 8F280A51-79E3-4028-A7A1-525FBF818FCD.jpeg 8A0B1298-0427-4398-8148-3EF5D67ED424.jpeg

Alanbama

Reaction score
I don't see an advantage to either. Nut adjustment is a one-time deal so you don't need screws. And metal is going to be much harder to shape than Tusq, Corian or my favourite, bone.
Yes, you’re right of course. I was just wondering how metal would effect the sound since the frets and bridge are metal. I had a Strat once with a metal roller nut and I really couldn’t tell any difference. Thanks for replying.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect any difference in the sound, the biggest deal with the nut is to get it fitted correctly, and then as noted above it is a done deal. The one thing I notice on the adjustable nut is those slots look pretty wide which could allow some rattles on the thinner strings, but maybe not. I like the look and feel of bone as well, but most of my guitars still have the same nut they came with when I got them. I never feel like any are lacking once I got them set for the strings and action I prefer.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I was just wondering how metal would effect the sound since the frets and bridge are metal. I had a Strat once with a metal roller nut and I really couldn’t tell any difference. Thanks for replying.
Remember that the nut only affect open notes. That is 6 out of 138 on a 22 fret guitar.

laza616

Reaction score
I assume you adjust the height by turning it as any other screw, right? So how about you have a good spot height and it will end up the slot will be facing wrong side just like on that picture? You will file a new slot or what? Twist a string there and letting the strings being completely random and non parallel? The tuning stability on this would cease to exist
Thats pretty useless "nut"

papagayo

Reaction score
What' s wrong with the Epiphone nut ?

DrBGood

Reaction score
I assume you adjust the height by turning it as any other screw, right? So how about you have a good spot height and it will end up the slot will be facing wrong side just like on that picture? You will file a new slot or what? Twist a string there and letting the strings being completely random and non parallel? The tuning stability on this would cease to exist
Thats pretty useless "nut"
In a nutshell, that nut is nuts.

Reaction score
Remember that the nut only affect open notes. That is 6 out of 138 on a 22 fret guitar.

FWIW, It also affects the playing feel i.e.when you fret a note at the 4rd fret, how it feels is affected by how high the nut (slot) is. Likewise anywhere on the board although the effect becomes minimal at some point on the fretboard depending on neck angle, action, etc.

DrBGood

Reaction score
FWIW, It also affects the playing feel i.e.when you fret a note at the 4rd fret, how it feels is affected by how high the nut (slot) is. Likewise anywhere on the board although the effect becomes minimal at some point on the fretboard depending on neck angle, action, etc.
That is how the nut is cut. If cut properly, it doesn't affect what strings feel like, neither do the material the nut is made of.

Reaction score
That is how the nut is cut. If cut properly, it doesn't affect what strings feel like, neither do the material the nut is made of.

Yes. just pointing out that it can have an effect. Not suggesting that it should have an effect.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I've replaced the nut on three Epiphone guitars, using tusq.
It wasn't difficult. Epiphones usually are issued with serviceable nut made of some kind of plastic.
I like tusq. So I've knocked the nut out of three different guitars and sanded the tusq product slightly
because they fit pretty well right out of the pkg.

Did I get a major improvement? I can't attribute it to this one change. Because I did other mods at the
same time. But it was fun and easy to do and I ended up being able to set the guitar up perfectly...
which makes ALL the difference.

A well setup Epiphone is a much more useful instrument than a poorly setup Gibson costing eight to
ten times as much. Good setup, a good nut and good strings are much more important than tonewood
or price tag or brand of pickup or finish or neck shape or whether it's lacquer or Polyurethane or
most of the other issues guys obsess about on these boards. IMHO of course.

There it is

Alanbama

Reaction score
I've replaced the nut on three Epiphone guitars, using tusq.
It wasn't difficult. Epiphones usually are issued with serviceable nut made of some kind of plastic.
I like tusq. So I've knocked the nut out of three different guitars and sanded the tusq product slightly
because they fit pretty well right out of the pkg.

Did I get a major improvement? I can't attribute it to this one change. Because I did other mods at the
same time. But it was fun and easy to do and I ended up being able to set the guitar up perfectly...
which makes ALL the difference.

A well setup Epiphone is a much more useful instrument than a poorly setup Gibson costing eight to
ten times as much. Good setup, a good nut and good strings are much more important than tonewood
or price tag or brand of pickup or finish or neck shape or whether it's lacquer or Polyurethane or
most of the other issues guys obsess about on these boards. IMHO of course.

There it is
Man, I could not have said it any better!

jtees4

Reaction score
I had one of those adjustable brass nuts on a Tele. It worked fine. In case it's not obvious the slot screw has to be turned in 1/4 turn intervals so the straight groove always has the string sitting in it. Only issue is that brass is soft, AND you can tear it up if it gets heavy use.