Opinions on the SG Elegants?

Bbr6704

Reaction score
Hey, I am not saying you have to like PRS's or Bird inlays or...

But, I live less than an hour from where PRS's are made. Of course my PRS was made in Asia, but setup and QC'd here in Maryland.

I bought mine off an employee for about $400 brand new with a PRS gig bag and everything. So, high cost, pretty, well made, and plays great instruments aren't always the case. Sometimes like me, you get a nice piece for good money too.
Hey, kind of funny, the Santana SE could be one of the rare PRS I could like. I find it's color a kind of DC Junior shape to be nice.

But the bird inlays are still to much for me (only a question of taste, I'd prefer block inlays, or even dots).

And I don't question PRS quality. I had a call with my luthier (wich is also a friend) yesterday, we talked guitars, and he doesn't like the look of the PRS either, but told me they were some of the best made guitars he could see on his bench.

Well, he doesn't like the work of gibson since 196-something, or even the 50's, and is very critical in general, so that must be a sign PRS are well made.

smitty_p

Reaction score
The SG Elegant?

Interesting...I hadn't seen this one.

I'd say, if you like it and can afford it without placing any financial burden on yourself and your family, go ahead.

BUT...

It won't necessarily sound or perform any better than a run-of-the-mill SG Standard. If your needs are all about the sound, don't spend your money on the Elegant. It won't get you any further. But, if you're also drawn to the sheer artistic element, well...that's another consideration. People buy art and decorative things all the time. I'll bet you have furniture or other items in your house that you selected simply because you like the way they look more than another item that could have done the job equally well.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Great, I like the 2018 SG High Performance without pickup rings and adjustable nut .

image101.jpg

Yeah, I like the HP model, too.

I like the nibless frets and the side-mounted output jack.

I do confess, though, that I do like the small SG pickguard. I'd be tempted to put one of those on the guitar if I had an HP!

Nice, guitar. Is it yours?

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Hey, kind of funny, the Santana SE could be one of the rare PRS I could like. I find it's color a kind of DC Junior shape to be nice.

But the bird inlays are still to much for me (only a question of taste, I'd prefer block inlays, or even dots).

And I don't question PRS quality. I had a call with my luthier (wich is also a friend) yesterday, we talked guitars, and he doesn't like the look of the PRS either, but told me they were some of the best made guitars he could see on his bench.

Well, he doesn't like the work of gibson since 196-something, or even the 50's, and is very critical in general, so that must be a sign PRS are well made.
Just for FYI,. I am pretty sure PRS makes some guitars with dot inlays too. For me, as long as a neck has some kind of fret markings I like the guitar. Dot, trapezoid, parallelogram, shark fin, bird, block...and yup, I like Double cut SG or Jr shapes.

papagayo

Reaction score
Happy New Years guys! Been curious to get some more info on this model. I recently found a Gibson SG elegant in blue.
22263239-69-C8-4332-9939-34-B10-D5-A58-C2.webp

Been wanting to try a Custom Shop Gibson and I saw this SG elegant for $3K recently. Trogly did a few vids raving about this model. I never heard about them until recently but am curious to hear any opinions or info. on it. I found the specs here but haven’t found many hands on experiences beyond Trogly’s videos.

Pros:
-Built to historic specs with Custombucker pickups, hand wired, traditionally mounted ABR-1 bridge without studs
-Has some cool quirks like the flamed maple top. I’m a sucker for anything uncommon or unique.

Cons:
-The very light brown rosewood board with the abalone inlays gives off a bit of an early 2000s Schecter vibe for some reason which I don’t care for.
-Black binding makes it look unbound from a distance

According to Trogly’s vid..$3K is a steal for one of these but I honestly don’t know. Reverb shows $3K is on the low end of normal so it’s a good price but not a steal. Any ideas if I’m over paying? Just in case I don’t bond with it, would be nice to know I can move it along easily without taking a loss.

TLDR: Wanted to know if $3K is really a good price and general opinions and experiences with this model. Thanks for any advice.

And what do you think about this one ?

Temp 48159.JPG

lawrev

Reaction score
The SG Elegant?

Interesting...I hadn't seen this one.

I'd say, if you like it and can afford it without placing any financial burden on yourself and your family, go ahead.

BUT...

It won't necessarily sound or perform any better than a run-of-the-mill SG Standard. If your needs are all about the sound, don't spend your money on the Elegant. It won't get you any further. But, if you're also drawn to the sheer artistic element, well...that's another consideration. People buy art and decorative things all the time. I'll bet you have furniture or other items in your house that you selected simply because you like the way they look more than another item that could have done the job equally well.

If the Elegant inspires you (or anyone) to play more, then go that route.

papagayo

Reaction score
The Red Tiger finish is really cool like the Blue finish, not ostentatious like the previous I posted.

Temp 48171.JPG

MR D

Reaction score

WOW, that is an entire ERA +++++++ that your friend doesn't like by GIBSON USA ( 1970's NORLIN ERA).....Those are pretty much the guitars that I 1st started playing by GIBSON USA....hope you find some good ones, they are out there !!!

Bbr6704

Reaction score
WOW, that is an entire ERA +++++++ that your friend doesn't like by GIBSON USA ( 1970's NORLIN ERA).....Those are pretty much the guitars that I 1st started playing by GIBSON USA....hope you find some good ones, they are out there !!!
Yes, I know, I think he is exagerating a bit...
I don't think like he does.
Of course, from a luthier perspective, some bad finished or too big routings, or some ways to put the clear coat can be discussed...

But from a guitarist perspective, my motto is "As long as it sounds good a plays great, it sounds good and plays great!".

I don't care if a body is in one or two or more pieces, I care for the playability and the tone (and looks in third).

devnulljp

Reaction score
The SG was never meant to be elegant...
(even though my two humble SG specials are
actually elegant in their own workman-like way).
The SG was meant to snarl and rip in a smokey environment
where the beer is cold and the chicks are hot.
You wouldn't wear your tuxedo to a place like that
because somebody might say something and you might
find yourself in a fight
It might have kinda become that, but it was designed for these two (although he ended up not liking it and having his name taken off it)

Les%2BPaul%2BMary%2Bford%2B2.jpg

Reactions: lcw

smitty_p

Reaction score
It might have kinda become that, but it was designed for these two (although he ended up not liking it and having his name taken off it)

Les%2BPaul%2BMary%2Bford%2B2.jpg

Y'know, I've seen that picture many times, but I just now noticed that Les Paul relocated the front strap button to the top horn!

Latest posts