Pawnshop SG

Pawn Shop SG

Reaction score
I found a 2005 SG in a pawnshop, that someone butchered, so I'm changing it. It had a 496R and a DiMarzio ceramic, uncovered, HBs. I ordered a new JB/59 set and guess what? The pickup cavity is too small. The legs on the new pups are longer and wider, and the nickel covers barely fit in the pup holes.
The only thing I can think of is just maybe, it came with P-90s? I really want this JB59 thing to work, and there's no "original" chance, as they also signed the back, wrote "nice one!," and drew flames on the front with a SHARPIE. They finished off with two little (sharpie) designs, drawn at the tips of the GOLD PINSTRIPE they began on the "horns." around the front.
Anyway, (thanks for listening) I guess I could either have it routed a little, or put the on my SG Standard, or call TV Jones for some Power-Trons? There appears to be shims around the holes. Glued in. Thanks in advance! BTW It plays superb!

Attachments

• 6167BBBB-4CEA-4E22-87AA-F296988C8CDE.jpeg
    6167BBBB-4CEA-4E22-87AA-F296988C8CDE.jpeg
    829.8 KB · Views: 53

tmb1958

Reaction score
i think someone was trying to do a copy of frank zappas so called baby snakes sg. pretty cool, would love to see the rest of it.

Attachments

• 0617AE7F-B0DB-4114-B959-5273A7EF0848.jpeg
    0617AE7F-B0DB-4114-B959-5273A7EF0848.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 21

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
More photos please! These threads always peak my interest, and you had me at "Pawn Shop". Some of my favorite guitars have been Pawn Shop specials that were modified, but not destroyed. Once the guitar is modified out of the "collector" market, it all comes down to playability, You can do no wrong as long as you don't completely screw the pooch and make the thing an unplayable wreck, you can pretty much make it look however you want with the hardware you prefer.

I love those completely original vintage pieces as much as the next guy, but I enjoy playing and owning stuff that may have been brought back from the brink of the scrap heap just as much, and maybe even more. Yours sounds like a very solid starting place for a personalized instrument with a ton of potential.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
sounds like an interesting project...
of course, remember our motto:

PICTURES, OR IT
NEVER HAPPENED

Have you considered putting the P-90s back on?
SG with P-90s is a classic sound. Wire them in reverse so your
guitar is one big hum bucker in the middle position.
Of course, the SD sound is a classic tone too. and if ya already
bought them...

I'd be likely to take some steel wool and rub off all of the graffitti
because I prefer to decorate my own guitar with dings and scratches
so it looks right. it usually takes me some time, because I don't do it
on purpose, but that's my preferred look for any instrument.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Baby snakes wasn't made by Gibson.
It was a custom design made by a fan, for Frank Z himself.
One of a kind. Totally unique, just like Zappa's music.

Latest posts