Pelham blue?

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
1965 Gibson SG on Reverb

PiIi5Ga.jpg

Does that look like Pelham blue? Is that how it fades over 50 years, turning to green? Or did they just get the color wrong?

SG standard

Reaction score
Pelham blue from this era is known to fade to green. I've only seen photos of it, which makes it very difficult to judge, but that does look quite close - just a bit saturated, which may be the photo. Are there any photos of the back? The fading may be a lot less even on the back & neck.

SG standard

Reaction score
Yep, 21 more photos on the ad page.
There is one with pickguard removed. Barely bluer.
Well, if it started out green, it seems unlikely to have turned bluer under the pickguard. Now I've looked at them, the shot with the pickups out shows a bluer colour in the cavity too. I suspect the early Pelham colour was quite unstable, so it's not just a shift caused by exposure to sunlight. But why is the neck binding green? That looks like overpainting to me.

flatrockmobile

Reaction score
Blue covered with many coats of clear lacquer that yellows over time and in sunlight, make for a green guitar 50 years later. Pickup cavity and control cavity are more blue because there's no clear coat. Under pick guard has clear and some yellowing but not as much as those areas exposed to UV.
I've seem pics of a white junior that had the color coat all the way up the side of the rosewood with black side markers. Not unlike the color on this neck. Maybe they just masked the sides of the fret board on cherry and not on solid colors.

Last edited:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Yeah I actually really like the color it is now. But no way I'm spending that kind of cash on a guitar. :)

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Wow, I really love the color that turned. I would never believe that was ever Blue of any sort without the additional photos.

Too bad I don't have anywhere near 20K to drop on a guitar...

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
A cork smells always good.

But cork have a very crap taste.

Your culture about wine is near zero my friend like your culture about guitars ...:rofl:
I actually know what "cork sniffing" refers to. To check for a corked wine, you rub the cork on your lips, which reveals if the cork is dried out and rough, hence corked or not. This, to the uninitiated, appears as though someone were "sniffing the cork."

Also, research shows that even top notch wine experts usually can't tell the difference, in double blind testing, between 5 buck chuck, and hundred dollar bottles of wine. Much like you couldn't tell the difference between a great guitar and a crappy one, just by listening to them. Because sniffing the cork does nothing.

Gibsg

Reaction score
BLA BLA BLA BLA ...

sniffing the cork does nothing. But it smells so good my friend .

I doubt about your culture like I told you before .

Gibsg

Reaction score
Anyway this Firebird is a pure beauty

pb5_zps2556dc6d.jpg

Latest posts