Pickups for an Epiphone Korina Flying V?

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
So. New jib, rather dull one, but at least its a job. And the first one after since I got laid off at the start of the panic-demic.

So. Ive bought a brand new EPi Flying V. The Korina bodied one. I've ordered one and it should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm expecting to change everything* except the wood. The pickups will be the same, underwhelming, alnico2 jobs that came with my LP, so I'm fully expecting to change them.

Options are:

1) the pickups it came with
2) a pair of Gibson 57 Classics that came out of my 2015 SG
3) a pair of Saturday Night Specials I have
4) a pair of Dean Michael Schenker I have.

My budget means those are really the only opitions. Pickups I've already bought and paid for. Thoughts?

* I already have spare pots, switches, output jacks, a Gotoh bridge, an adjustable nut and two spare sets of good tuners. The Epi electronics, if my recently purchased LP are anything to go by, will be cheap chinese stuff and push connects. And once I open the hood, as it were, I'm going to change the oil, gap the plugs, put in a new air filter, etc. etc.

jtcnj

Reaction score
first a) give the originals a chance, play with the height and pole adjustments.
Then, D! Schenker pickups belong in a V! (just me though).

Also, the music style you prefer to play with this guitar may help you decide if more PAFish or higher output is right for it.

What is wrong with the original hardware and electronics you feel the need to change out right away?

Were it me I would first get the nut slots right / full setup, and go from there.
Especially making sure the intonation is right before making any judgement on pickups.

Double stops especially can sound "wrong" with small intonation issues - and could easily be blamed on the pickups.

Or, that's the way I learned the hard way......

3bolt79

Reaction score
I have an Epi SG Custom. The pickups sound great. No need to change anything on it, much to my surprise.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I agree with the above advice. See what you get before you start making a parts list for replacement. You may want to mod it, but sometimes there is just no need. Give it a good player's set up when it arrives, experiment with pickup height and pole pieces, and figure out what you actually need before making any major changes. If something isn't up to scratch, then by all means fix it.

plankton

Reaction score
I usually play any new guitar for awhile before thinking about making any major changes. If parts do their job then I don't see any reason to change them.
Just because you didn't like the Epi pickups in your LP doesn't mean you won't like them in this new guitar, even if they're the same pickups. If you do decide to change them for something you have on hand already, only you know what sound you're looking for and I assume you know what the other pickups you own sound like. Giving/getting advice on pickups is usually worthless, IME.

an adjustable nut
This is a new one for me. What exactly is an adjustable nut?

Last edited:

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
Ah thanks. Any benefits to that? It looks to me like an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
Exactly. I mean, if you want to go from standard to a slide guitar, and only have one guitar, great. But do you REALLY need more screws on your guitar? And small tools to lose in a drawer?

Von Trapp

Reaction score
That's a cool guitar, congrats! I'd say figure out if there's anything wrong with the stock ones first. Then figure out exactly what's wrong and see if you can adjust it. After walking the long hard road of stupidity, woodoo and money wasting I've concluded a) pickups are just one part in a chain of sound. b) boutique and signature pickups are an overprized, ridiculous joke c) a set of 490s/498s will get me anywhere I want to go. SO will burstbucker. Luckily for me the world doesn't seem to stop producing fools that strip their Gibsons of those so they're always available for a good price on ebay.

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
first a) give the originals a chance, play with the height and pole adjustments.
Then, D! Schenker pickups belong in a V! (just me though).

Also, the music style you prefer to play with this guitar may help you decide if more PAFish or higher output is right for it.

What is wrong with the original hardware and electronics you feel the need to change out right away?

Were it me I would first get the nut slots right / full setup, and go from there.
Especially making sure the intonation is right before making any judgement on pickups.

Double stops especially can sound "wrong" with small intonation issues - and could easily be blamed on the pickups.

Or, that's the way I learned the hard way......
1. I just bought an Epi LP back in May. I didn't like the pickups in that, same pickups in the V, so I already figured they had to go. Also, they're only 2-wire, so coil splitting wouldn't have been possible without risky internal surgery.
2. I had the SNSs sitting in a drawer anyway.
3. Likewise the tuners and the pickup rings.
4. I don't like "gold". YMMV of course, but to me, cheap "gold" just looks, um, cheap.
5. The pickups and tuners are nickel, so the other "gold" hardware had to go. The chrome tailpiece and bridge cost me under $50 total so no big deal.
6. I wanted coil splits and one of those dual contact output jacks, so rewiring was inevitable. Personal preference maybe, but so what?
7. The nut does need work, the slots arent deep enough or the bottom needs filing, take your pick. The notes are a tad sharp at the neck end. But I'm putting on an adjustable one anyway.
8. My guitar, my choices.

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
The other one arrived.

Cheap Chinese knockoff from eBay. But at least it's got a decent paintjob, which is more than I can manage with my resources. Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard, so that's good.

Everything is going to be changed except the wood and the frets.

20220822_165129.jpg

jtees4

Reaction score
I put cheap Guitar madness '59 (or were they '57?)(EBay) pickups in my SG Special....they were fantastic and extremely cheap. I HAVE bought expensive pickups....some are great too, but rarely better.

Latest posts