Thor Oliversen

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post here :-)

As a guitar player I guess I'm probably best described as a blues/funk/soul kind of guy...

I'm experiencing some serious G.A.S. at the moment - dribbling over some SG standards. I wonder what year did they decide to go from PAF's to 490R and 498T ? I once had a 2006 SG Standard with the latter, that I felt was a bit "flat" in sound compared to my other Gibson's (ES-335, 2001 and Les Paul, G0) with PAF's / buckers. So I'm now looking for some vintage models with PAF's as I imagine they will be more to my taste...

Any thoughts about what you prefer?

eS.G.

Reaction score
WELCOME--Howdy- YO---- check it out now funk soul brother!

PErsonally----I vote for ZEBRAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gibbo.jpg

Welcome ----to the SICKNESSSSSSS

Gillean

Reaction score
WELCOME--Howdy- YO---- check it out now funk soul brother!

PErsonally----I vote for ZEBRAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 20825

Welcome ----to the SICKNESSSSSSS

Zebra team!!! *high five*

12243042_1194704930546093_2463747183605931963_n.jpg

Dave_Death

Reaction score

As a guitar player I guess I'm probably best described as a blues/funk/soul kind of guy...

I'm experiencing some serious G.A.S. at the moment - dribbling over some SG standards. I wonder what year did they decide to go from PAF's to 490R and 498T ? I once had a 2006 SG Standard with the latter, that I felt was a bit "flat" in sound compared to my other Gibson's (ES-335, 2001 and Les Paul, G0) with PAF's / buckers. So I'm now looking for some vintage models with PAF's as I imagine they will be more to my taste...

Sound-wise you could just put a set of PAF style pickups in a later SG. A lot of companies make them. Bare Knuckle for example have the Stormy Monday and Mule pickups which are based on PAFs.

Gillean

Reaction score

I got my SG with the stock pups and although they were good and I could definitely understand people who love them, they were not "there" for me. So, I changed them for a while (luckily I had a good luthier friend who had a lot of pups in his arsenal and he let me use each set for a while until I decided which I really wanted), after trying a some classics like dimarzio and seymour duncan, and even some more fancy bareknuckles I ended up with mojotone Classic 59PAFs with alnico IV magnets. I really liked basically all the other PAF style pups I've tried, but the mojotones really got me, although I dont dare to say they are better, its just that I liked them more.

From my experience I would recommend (not necessarily in that order):

*mojotones classic 59Paf
*bareknucles Mule
*SD Seth lovers
*Gibson 57 and 57+
*Dimarzio Anniversary (cant remember what number haha).

Good luck in your tone journey!

Thor Oliversen

Reaction score
Thanks for good thoughts on pickups guys. I just became owner of a Derek Trucks 2015 signature SG :-) Got a sweat deal on a demo used guitar today. I loved it from the first touch. Plugged it into a Hotrod Deville 212 in the store. It has a neck that plays like butter and a really great tone. And I can dig that fancy piece of maestro left from the vibrola. I think it looks great.

Gahr

Reaction score
Thanks for good thoughts on pickups guys. I just became owner of a Derek Trucks 2015 signature SG :-) Got a sweat deal on a demo used guitar today. I loved it from the first touch. Plugged it into a Hotrod Deville 212 in the store. It has a neck that plays like butter and a really great tone. And I can dig that fancy piece of maestro left from the vibrola. I think it looks great.

Congrats, man! The Derek Trucks signatures are sweet guitars. My 2014 is my main guitar. I love the '57 Classics, and I love the lyre cover. I have added a angel wing pickguard to mine though. Simply because I think it looks great. Post picks, please!

Gillean

Reaction score
Congrats, man! The Derek Trucks signatures are sweet guitars. My 2014 is my main guitar. I love the '57 Classics, and I love the lyre cover. I have added a angel wing pickguard to mine though. Simply because I think it looks great. Post picks, please!
I'm curious about what is an angel wing pick guard. Can you post a pic? Sorry for my ignorance

Thor Oliversen

Reaction score
Nice guitar. Where did you get hold of that Vibrola? Am thinking of adding one myself... Does it hold the tuning well? And did you notice a change in tone after you installed it?

67plexi

Reaction score
Nice guitar. Where did you get hold of that Vibrola? Am thinking of adding one myself... Does it hold the tuning well? And did you notice a change in tone after you installed it?
Tell you the truth it's a back up guitar I don't play it much. what I have discovered through the years is let the new guitar set in the case for 2-10 years and the wood stabilizes. My main player is a 1965 SG standard and a 1962 Fender Esquire.

Esquire 001.JPG 1965 SG 001.JPG

Thor Oliversen

Reaction score
With those to beauties in your Arsenal that would be an easy choice :-) They must be awesome to play.

flognoth

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a fan of changing out the stock pots and the caps before deciding to swap out the pickups. A lot of the Gibson stock electronics put a bottleneck on the sound. I typically go with pots around 500k and paper in oil or orange drop caps.

For pickups, I like ThroBak ER-Custom MXV or a set of '57 Classic Plus (bridge) / '57 Classic (neck).

It really depends on the sound you're going for.

Latest posts