Please Recommend Pickups for a Gibson SG

pedecamp

Reaction score
Any body out there that's tried the Mojo Tone 59 low out put pickups in there SG? I have a 2007 SG CS, and its my first SG after playing LP's for 20 yrs. in a JCM 800 4010, and the pickups are not to my liking, but I'm going to try setting the pu's a little lower to see if the sound warms up. I really don't know the specs on this guitar, still trying to find them, but I had to go to a lighter guitar and always wanted a SG.
Lowering pickups wont warm them up it will only weaken the tone and make it thinner. To warm up your tone I suggest 57 Classic Plus in the bridge and 57 Classic at the neck, this is a warm combination in an SG, you can find them used for a third or half the cost of new that's how I got all mine. :yesway:

MR D

Reaction score
Finally got my SG, it is a 2011 Standard in Black. I have been playing it and the pickups, 490 and 498, are not to my liking at all. I prefer a vintage type output. I prefer PAF type pickups that have that "open woody" tone.

My current band plays Modern Country/Blues/Classic Rock. I play through a Mesa Boogie Mark V and all of my gain comes from the amp. I also play a Tele and Customized Strat. They both have vintage level outputs.

I plan on putting CTS Pots and modern wiring.

I have researched a lot of pickups and I am considering the following:

All are Seymour Duncans, 59's, Seth Lovers, Antiquity Humbuckers.

1. 59's are suppose to sound like, well, 1959 PAF's. Alnico 5 magnet.
  2. Seth Lovers, are suppose to sound like 1955 PAF's. Alnico 2 magnet
  3. Antiquity's are the same as Seth Lovers, but the magnets and covers are aged.
What do you guys recommend for the music I am playing and amp.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Bro, u r right to get 490’s out of that guitar…..a ‘61R in the Neck and ‘57 in the Neck, Set that Bad Boy up and you will be-be RIPPIN’ …all with Genuine GIBSON USA parts….a lot of people try different brand pucups BUT A GOOD GIBSON PICKUP never let me down….I just can no longer tolerate the 490’s being in one of the guitars I am playing. .I have 1 left w/490’s and I’m selling it.

sazista

Reaction score
Finally got my SG, it is a 2011 Standard in Black. I have been playing it and the pickups, 490 and 498, are not to my liking at all. I prefer a vintage type output. I prefer PAF type pickups that have that "open woody" tone.

My current band plays Modern Country/Blues/Classic Rock. I play through a Mesa Boogie Mark V and all of my gain comes from the amp. I also play a Tele and Customized Strat. They both have vintage level outputs.

I plan on putting CTS Pots and modern wiring.

I have researched a lot of pickups and I am considering the following:

All are Seymour Duncans, 59's, Seth Lovers, Antiquity Humbuckers.

1. 59's are suppose to sound like, well, 1959 PAF's. Alnico 5 magnet.
  2. Seth Lovers, are suppose to sound like 1955 PAF's. Alnico 2 magnet
  3. Antiquity's are the same as Seth Lovers, but the magnets and covers are aged.
What do you guys recommend for the music I am playing and amp.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Use your tone controls to get a different sound, change their height, etc. You have excellent pickups that do everything you have mentioned. But, it's your guitar.

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
Get some Brandonwounds if you want the best pickups made for the same price or cheaper than Duncans. Seriously.

Latest posts