Plugs

purple dragon

Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if some coued help me out.i am looking fore plugs to plug the stopbar holes and bridge holes so i can redrill and put new holes fore a wraparound bridge.i have been looking on stewmac but they dont have plugs or martiale that i can saw and shape round to make my own plugs.i woued think fore people In the us can only walk In a harware/wood store and buy it.that not the case where i live they just look on you AS you stupid if i Ask about such things.so if someone know about a store that has plugs and ship worlwide please tell.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
The material you want is called dowel, and you should be able to buy it anywhere. It is just long, round pieces of wood and it is used in building. You won't be able to get exactly the right size, but you can drill out the holes so they fit exactly. But please understand that this "fix" will never be invisible.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if some coued help me out.i am looking fore plugs to plug the stopbar holes and bridge holes so i can redrill and put new holes fore a wraparound bridge.i have been looking on stewmac but they dont have plugs or martiale that i can saw and shape round to make my own plugs.i woued think fore people In the us can only walk In a harware/wood store and buy it.that not the case where i live they just look on you AS you stupid if i Ask about such things.so if someone know about a store that has plugs and ship worlwide please tell.
Not to sound too much like a jerk but the question indicates the job may not be the best DIY project. Consider taking the guitar to someone with experience.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Not to sound like an even worse jerk but it's not really rocket science....

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Not to sound like an even worse jerk but it's not really rocket science....
100% true but it still takes some experience and the proper tools to do the job right and I could be wrong but I'm assuming the OP has neither woodworking experience or the right tools based on the question.

I'm a firm believer that people should know how to work on their instruments but this may not be the right first step.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong and I apologize.

donepearce

Reaction score
I agree. A novice might see this as an easy job, but it isn't. This is the front of the guitar and it's very visible. And nitro is easily chipped and scratched. There are an awful lot of ways to get this horribly wrong. I know I suggested materials earlier, but re-reading the OP I realise that we are not dealing with an expert.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I'd say that the fact Mr OP doesn't have full command of the English language doesn't necessarily mean he can't do this job so I feel it's somewhat bad form to assume he has his thumb in the middle of his hand, as we say here in Sweden. I'm confident that even someone that happens to have his thumb there and half a brain can get this done with the help of the many knowledgeable people on this forum. Also, it's REALLY not rocket science...

donepearce

Reaction score
I'd say that the fact Mr OP doesn't have full command of the English language doesn't necessarily mean he can't do this job so I feel it's somewhat bad form to assume he has his thumb in the middle of his hand, as we say here in Sweden. I'm confident that even someone that happens to have his thumb there and half a brain can get this done with the help of the many knowledgeable people on this forum. Also, it's REALLY not rocket science...

It is not rocket science. It is craftsmanship of a fairly high order. Cutting a plug flush with a polished surface is not an easy job. It needs to be sawn almost there, then pared back with a chisel in easy stages. Finally it has to be polished, coloured and lacquered. None of that is simple, and even allowing for the OP's limited command of English as a second language, it is clear that this task is new to him. He would be far more aware of potential materials otherwise. I made a great set of file handles from a branch I cut from a rose tree in my garden, and I would not hesitate to go to that same source if I needed to make a plug for a guitar.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with a language barrier. It has to do with not knowing that a wooden plug for any round hole will be made from round wood that has a specific name (in any language) and is easily available almost anywhere worldwide.

Not knowing that leads me to believe that there's a lack of general woodworking experience and that is a recipe for poor results.

Filling the old holes with dowel is the easy part. Trying to make that work look natural isn't easy and then properly installing the wrap around bridge also requires some experience and ideally something better than a hand drill (& the OP may very well have the right tools).

Now it could be that the OP has bought a beater guitar for the purpose of learning how to do this work and doesn't need it to turn out professional. If that's the case then I highly suggest buying some dowel and going to town.

However, if the guitar being worked on is important to the OP then I re-suggest letting a pro take on this task.

I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing the OP, that's not my intent. I just don't want them to underestimate the job and then regret it.

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I'm aware of all this or I wouldn't have said anything. But fine, I'll guide him and you can watch. I remember when I started out working on guitars I asked a fairly basic question and people immediately assumed I couldn't do the job, or any job for that matter. (that was in the a$$hole forum though) Perhaps that's why I reacted. I just feel perhaps one should probe a little more into what the person might be able to accomplish and what he is willing to do to get there before saying Forget about it. If you dive headlong into something then yea, it's hard, if you take your time to know how to then it's just a matter of doing it.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
I'm aware of all this or I wouldn't have said anything. But fine, I'll guide him and you can watch. I remember when I started out working on guitars I asked a fairly basic question and people immediately assumed I couldn't do the job, or any job for that matter. (that was in the a$$hole forum though) Perhaps that's why I reacted. I just feel perhaps one should probe a little more into what the person might be able to accomplish and what he is willing to do to get there before saying Forget about it. If you dive headlong into something then yea, it's hard, if you take your time to know how to then it's just a matter of doing it.
I agree that it's a good idea to learn how to do this stuff.

After a terrible and expensive in store set up I got in the early/mid 90's I began doing all my own work. I did a lot of really stupid stuff to my first guitar, but I learned a lot. In hindsight I should have tried all that stuff to a junk guitar.

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Yet they be not tapered. Luckily I have a truck load of them so I'll ship for free to those in need.

purple dragon

Reaction score
First off to the ones that gave me the right english Word and where to buy them.thank you that really Nice of you,and i apriciate it😊
Now fore those that asumed that i got my head up my ass because my bad english i am sorry fore my bad english.i am dyslexic but i will try to improv on my english.but just so its said Yes i am not a educated lutier but i have woodwork experince since child school and i have done this some times before but last time i needed to buy dowels to this kind of work 10/12 years ago.i coued just buy it on stewmac and posseble sorce some maghoney wood i coued make by my self .but time change and that not a posseble enymore.i am sorry that i am not a lutier that know where to sorce all kind of wood from allover the world.if stewmac got it they cant ship it outside of us eny more like other sort of wood,glue etc.hell 10 years ago i coued buy mop to make my own inlays from stewmac but not enymore.and my local harware only got pine dowels that is 1/3 the size i need to plug a tom Hole that people use whene they make/repair tables,bookshelfs and kommode(sorry dont know the english Word on that one) .and got more or less just oak and pine material i can make my own from.i also woued prefer to buy permade dowels like i did 10 years ago.those was just 05-1mm to big to fill a tom Hole so i only neede to Get the right height sand them some and they did fit perfect. Its a lot of work and a long time to make dowels if you are gone make perfekt round dowels from a 2x2/4x4 or other materiale.
Not to be rude but you cant compare to make dowels to a guitar against making some handles to your file.thats appels vs Oranges.those you can just keep AS they are or just sand/shape to fit In your hands you dont need them to be perfect round and fit on the mm.i dont got maghoney growing in my backyard and i woued not use rose wood to plug my mahoney guitar.shure i know its not gone be perfect matching grains etc but if it done right with matching the grain AS best you can and use some grain filler,you will not look it before you study the guitar.the hardest part with this job is to Get the color to match right but shoued be really close after making some samples to compare to the guitar.
Again fore those that did help me thank you Very mutch. Have a Nice week 🤘🏻

Last edited:

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
First off to the ones that gave me the right english Word and where to buy them.thank you that really Nice of you,and i apriciate it😊
Now fore those that asumed that i got my head up my ass because my bad english i am sorry fore my bad english i will try to improv on that.but just so its said Yes i am not a educated lutier but i have woodwork experince since child school and i have done this some times before but last time i needed to buy dowels to this kind of work 10/12 years ago.i coued just buy it on stewmac and posseble sorce some maghoney wood i coued make some by my self .but time change and that not a posseble enymore.i am sorry that i am not a lutier that know where to sorce all kind of wood from allover the world.if stewmac got it they cant ship it outside of us eny more like other sort of wood,glue etc.hell 10 years ago i coued buy mop to make my own inlays from stewmac but not enymore.and my local harware only got pine dowels that is 1/3 the size i need to plug a tom Hole that people use whene they make/repair tables,bookshelfs and kommode(sorry dont know the english Word on that one) .and got more or less just oak and pine material i can make my own from.i also woued prefer to buy permade dowels like i did 10 years ago.those was just 05-1mm to big to fill a tom Hole so i only neede to Get the right height sand them some and they did fit perfect. Its a lot of work and a long time to make dowels if you are gone make perfekt round dowels from a 2x2/4x4 or other materiale.
Not to be rude but you cant compare to make dowels to a guitar against making some handles to your file.thats appels vs Oranges.those you can just keep AS they are or just sand/shape to fit In your hands you dont need them to be perfect round and fit on the mm.i dont got maghoney growing in my backyard and i woued not use rose wood to plug my mahoney guitar.shure i know its not gone be perfect the with grains etc but if it done right with matching the grain AS best you can and use some grain filler,you will not look it before you study the guitar.the hardest part with this job is to Get the color to match right but shoued be really close after making some samples to compare to the guitar.
Again fore those that did help me thank you Very mutch. Have a Nice week 🤘🏻
My bad. Carry on. See the end of post #6.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score

I did not read the whole thread here, but where do you live?

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Purple, first of all, I don't think anyone in here meant to insult you or your skills or even language.

2nd, from my experiences, Dowels have their place, but PLUGS do too. Often in my carpentry work, we use PLUGS to fill holes in wood pieces such as staircase hand rails, furniture, and other material to hide fasteners like screws. These are different than dowels because when a dowel is cut, it exposes the end grains. When a plug is cut out of a board, it is " cut" perpendicular to the grain and thus leaves exposed grains on the same directional plane as the surface of the piece of wood being " plugged"

SO if I were to be filling holes which will be seen in the face of an SG, I would be using plugs not dowels. If I were filling in an enlarged strap button hole to be re-drilled for a tighter fitting screw, a dowel or plug will do. But as I said, any hole in the face of a guitar should be a plug.

Attachments

• plug cutter.PNG
    plug cutter.PNG
    213.8 KB · Views: 1