Recommended strings for Epipone SG Special

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I try and avoid blanket statements just because I have not seen "everything" in my short life. That said, I have to agree with Donepearce on this one. I have never seen a geared tuner slip with the strings properly wrapped and locked. I will say I have seen and used some really cheap-o tuning heads in the past that were way flimsier than anything I have seen on an Epiphone, and they don't move on their own. I have seen a lot of tight nut slots, and poorly installed strings that were not gripping the post and it was the string that slipped. The post itself however did not change position, and the tuner did it's job. I have fixed many guitars that wouldn't stay in tune, but the only tuning machines I have ever had to change out were either physically broken (didn't work at all) or were switched out for the pleasure of a smoother mechanism. I can't say no tuning machine has ever been so poorly made it was unstable and wouldn't hold position, but I have never seen one. Certainly not on an Epiphone.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
I wouldn't make such a blanket statement. My Epi G-310 (made in China in '08) wouldn't stay in tune for a minute. I changed the nut, it got a little better. I changed the tuners and now it stays in tune just fine. So, not all Epi tuners are just fine. I suppose that the more recent tuners are better, but the ones from China in '08 were rubbish.
The blanket statement is just fine. Tuners don't slip. Bad nuts grab and poorly installed strings slip.

DrBGood

Reaction score
One thing can happen with cheap tuners like the ones I put on my Special 1 LP. The gears aren't tight in there and there is a loose moment when you turn them. Even with the button screw tighten, they're loose. If I was to wind down to tune a string, it would surely go flat pretty fast, so I make sure I always wind up when tuning. I should really get rid of them.

TChalms

Reaction score
The blanket statement is just fine. Tuners don't slip. Bad nuts grab and poorly installed strings slip.
We'll just need to disagree on this one. The old tuners were crap. Supposedly they were 14:1 but when I turned them I could feel that for the first bit the gears were shifting position without actually turning the post at all. The new tuners are 18:1 and I can feel that the tiniest movement of the knob actually turns the post a wee bit.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
We'll just need to disagree on this one. The old tuners were crap. Supposedly they were 14:1 but when I turned them I could feel that for the first bit the gears were shifting position without actually turning the post at all. The new tuners are 18:1 and I can feel that the tiniest movement of the knob actually turns the post a wee bit.
Broken tuners are a different matter. But even then, tuning stability is not compromised, just the ease of getting there.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I wouldn't make such a blanket statement. My Epi G-310 (made in China in '08) wouldn't stay in tune for a minute. I changed the nut, it got a little better. I changed the tuners and now it stays in tune just fine. So, not all Epi tuners are just fine. I suppose that the more recent tuners are better, but the ones from China in '08 were rubbish.
I just checked my G400 Custom and yes, it's an -08. Tuners have withstood the most atrocious abuse throughout the years since there's a vibrola on it that I don't hesitate to use as if it was the stick shift in a Shelby Cobra. I'm happy to report that the tuners have not failed me yet. Conclusion; it don't matter where the tuners are made either, there are mostly good ones and some bad. Just like ZZ Top songs.

Les’s Nemisis

Reaction score
I wonder how thin do thin strings sound. Do Billy Gibbons guitars sound thin to you ?

If you play with lots of distortion, it doesn't matter. Not to mention, you can do some mega bending with 8's.

When you're looking for clean tones, I prefer 10's. I've tried to get BB King tones with 9's... it wasn't happening. Same guitar, amp, and player. I get them with 10's.

YMMV. That's why they make so many different string varieties. Enjoy.

sirpluckalot

Reaction score
Hi guys
This is my first post as I have just purchased a used, but immaculate, Epiphone SG Special.
Does anyone have any particular recommendations for the best strings as I am going to restring it.
Also someone commented that the tuners were not he best so should I change them before restringing.
Thank you
I like D'Addario EXL110's

sirpluckalot

Reaction score
Hi guys
This is my first post as I have just purchased a used, but immaculate, Epiphone SG Special.
Does anyone have any particular recommendations for the best strings as I am going to restring it.
Also someone commented that the tuners were not he best so should I change them before restringing.
Thank you
I have a question about that guitar, are the p90's hum cancelling in the middle position? thanks

DrBGood

Reaction score
awesome thanks
P90 suggestion ... they sound their best when adjusted lower than higher, especially at the neck. I say go as low as possible. But remember to ALWAYS push down on the cover when you screw those long thin flimsy screws, if not, good chance you'll snap them and then ... There might be a couple of springs and/or foam under the pickups, so for the neck, it's better to remove those before attempts at going low.

2012 LP Special
EPI SP 1+.JPG
2020 LP Special
P90 height - 7mm X 4mm.jpg

sirpluckalot

Reaction score
P90 suggestion ... they sound their best when adjusted lower than higher, especially at the neck. I say go as low as possible. But remember to ALWAYS push down on the cover when you screw those long thin flimsy screws, if not, good chance you'll snap them and then ... There might be a couple of springs and/or foam under the pickups, so for the neck, it's better to remove those before attempts at going low.

2012 LP Special
View attachment 48126
2020 LP Special
View attachment 48127
thanks will do.

Alanbama

Reaction score
I have used almost every string imaginable and I have stuck with DR strings. I personally like 9-42 gauge. I really love the DR High Beams. There are a lot of great strings out there but these are just my personal favorites.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I’m gonna try GHS Boomers 9.5-44 for my Strat next. Strings by mail has them for $5.69 a set. I’m a veteran, so I get a 10% discount there.

Alanbama

Reaction score
GHS Boomers are one of my favorite string’s. I used to use them exclusively but I tried the DRs and they just do it for me. Whatever it is.

3bolt79

Reaction score
GHS Boomers are one of my favorite string’s. I used to use them exclusively but I tried the DRs and they just do it for me. Whatever it is.
If I like the GHS, I will use them on customer’s guitars when I do a set up, if they haven’t supplied their own favorite strings.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I’m gonna try GHS Boomers 9.5-44 for my Strat next. Strings by mail has them for $5.69 a set. I’m a veteran, so I get a 10% discount there.
I remember Fender guys who swore by Fender 150’s. Maybe because it was Fender, maybe because they sound good.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I remember Fender guys who swore by Fender 150’s. Maybe because it was Fender, maybe because they sound good.
I’ve never found a set of Fender strings that I liked. The Bullets were great, until the string breaks there.

Latest posts