Replace KB Tremolo

jaije1482

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a SG90 that is missing it’s Stein KB and haven’t had much luck finding a replacement. So, now I’m thinking can I customize this with a completely different setup? Has anyone tried this or ave suggestions? Or does anyone have a KB for sale? Guess I should’ve lead with that question...

Biddlin

Reaction score
What the hell is a Stein KB?

Biddlin

Reaction score
Why in gawd's name would anyone replace it? Hideous.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Some valid reasons do exist, Off the top of my head, wanting to keep it original, ease of replacement (no modification required), or someone used it and liked it and just wants to fix it would certainly qualify. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but looking for OEM replacement seems pretty reasonable to me. If I ever see one I would try it out and see how it works... who knows, I might like it even though I like the looks of the other more common units better.

jaije1482

Reaction score
I’d much rather change the setup than replace with the OEM part... they are notoriously bad systems. There’s a huge cut out in the body for the old bridge, so changing it to some kind of fixed body bridge may not be possible. Just trying to see if someone has performed themselves, or seen such alterations before.

Biddlin

Reaction score
A picture of the current body would be helpful. Maybe a real or fake Gibson Lyre cover ala Derek Trucks might work.

everdying

Reaction score
those steinbergers are only top routed...so ur only options are hard-tails / fixed bridges.
best option is to fill it with wood, and put a tune-o-matic on it :p

paul gilbert used to do this to his floyd guitars replacing them with hard-tails...

Von Trapp

Reaction score
those steinbergers are only top routed...so ur only options are hard-tails / fixed bridges.
best option is to fill it with wood, and put a tune-o-matic on it :p

paul gilbert used to do this to his floyd guitars replacing them with hard-tails...

Actually the best option is to slap a Vibrola on there because at least the lyre one will cover the filled route.

Edit: No it won't, the Steinberger is 84 wide and the Vibrola 75.2. Sh!t, tough luck.
Well, there's no way to cover up that route then without some major surgery or another trem. I like Kahlers and one of those looks like it will do the trick though. Can't find the dimensions online but I can measure it if you like.

Last edited:

everdying

Reaction score
Actually the best option is to slap a Vibrola on there because at least the lyre one will cover the filled route.

Edit: No it won't, the Steinberger is 84 wide and the Vibrola 75.2. Sh!t, tough luck.
Well, there's no way to cover up that route then without some major surgery or another trem. I like Kahlers and one of those looks like it will do the trick though. Can't find the dimensions online but I can measure it if you like.

well vibrola is just a replacement for the tailpiece...either way wood must be added on so as to mount the tune-o-matic...

a kahler would be good tho...like what this guy did...tho i dont like kahlers much either...still prefer the OFR / Schallers...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ge-on-my-gibson-sg-90-double-tonight.1833065/

Von Trapp

Reaction score
well vibrola is just a replacement for the tailpiece...either way wood must be added on so as to mount the tune-o-matic...

a kahler would be good tho...like what this guy did...tho i dont like kahlers much either...still prefer the OFR / Schallers...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ge-on-my-gibson-sg-90-double-tonight.1833065/

True, I forgot about that. Also hard to see what would be the best thing to do unless one can see the route on the actual guitar.

Norton

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was a design flaw in those...

I've seen a few of those and every one of them had the bridge system lifting off the body due to some kind of anchoring failure.

If you're looking for a direct replacement, put a call out on fb groups, scour reverb and ask Steinberger directly.

It might be a better idea to put in a Kahler or plug the Hole and maybe install a modern hard tail bridge?

Collectibility, value etc.... maybe???

jaije1482

Reaction score
0I-jGFkRbH9YO-O1s5gtAhcjg
I don’t know if this will share the pic for you guys. I’m using my phone not a computer and uploading the image keeps saying the file is too large. But yeah I gotta replace the pickups and much more... so it’s not a pretty girl at the moment. But I got it at $60 so not bad

jaije1482

Reaction score
I’m not really interested in making it a collectible for resale or anything. I mean a collectible for sentimental value is cool but mainly just want it to be a playable SG. I’ve never owned one before. Wanted it to add to my collection... G&L strat, Ibanez AM2000, and Gibson Les Paul. Definitely need a SG to round things out lol

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
You should be able to make a good player for sure. The above advice about filling the old routes and installing either a hard tail or a more robust vibrato unit are the ways I would go. Either way, getting the body filled and finished well is the hardest part, but it will be the first thing that needs to be done. The rest can be done at home by someone with reasonable patience and ability with tools.

everdying

Reaction score
. . . and if u really wanna go crazy on mods... fill the cavity up... then route it back out to fit an evertune :p

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I just want to point out again that if you fill that route and spray it, it WILL show. No matter what you do. The only way to get rid of it is to put a layer of veneer on top and then spray.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I’m not really interested in making it a collectible for resale or anything. I mean a collectible for sentimental value is cool but mainly just want it to be a playable SG. I’ve never owned one before. Wanted it to add to my collection... G&L strat, Ibanez AM2000, and Gibson Les Paul. Definitely need a SG to round things out lol

Hey, it's the one guy on Earth who has fixed a KB trem!

guitar shiz 034 2.jpg

My advice: don't bother. It was a lot of work and it still leans somewhat because although I managed to get custom machined steel posts from a guy in Germany (and I think they were his last pair), the base that they sit in is still the weak original metal and that now bends under tension. Steinberger does not support any parts for it either, not that you'd want the original weak design as a replacement anyway. Then, I had to shave the saddles down to get the intonation right.

So what would I recommend? Well, I never looked into alternatives much because I wanted to save the original trem, but I'd suggest looking for something like a Floyd Rose that also sits in a cavity and will fill at least most of the space taken by the original rout. However, the issue there may be that the body is too thin because its an SG. I would consult an experienced luthier if I were you.

everdying

Reaction score
what in the world epiphone is that? did the kb cost more? :p

Latest posts