SD Antiquity JB for SG Bridge???

fishlog

Reaction score
Last discussion I see on here about using a JB on here is from 2016.

Any new experiences out there? Opinions seem pretty divided out there.

Westernrider

Reaction score
The JB is an excellent pickup.

Question is: After I stop cussing out my freaking SG, I have to decide what characteristic am I trying to change.

This thing has too much low end and where are the mids! Earth calling my mids .... Where are you?

I can't hear the guitar gets lost in the noise of the skill saw that the neighbor kids are using out in the garage? Gotta check on them pretty soon.

Enter the JB. Forgive me, my OCD has just kicked in, forgive me.

It's been years since I had a JB in a guitar, so I'm going on my ancient impressions, and I am comparing it to the SH5 Custom as a point of reference.

To me, the Custom has the PAF attitude, and it has a more level balance between lows, mids, and highs as compared to the JB. The JB seems to have a solid and less low end with more upper mids and highs than the Custom.
The big difference is that using the JB made me feel like I was walking up a giant and long incline ramp. Basically - boring and the JB didn't act like a PAF.

Pick the right pickup for the right job.

Now, I'll shut up and let someone that knows wtf they're talking about answer your question.

Also, time the checkout the video - Here is a really well done comparison shoot out of the JB, SH-5 Custom and a couple of other higher output SD pickups.

Side Note: I've got a SH5 Custom on order to replace a SD Full Shred H/B. Check out the eq on that pickup. This is one I would not put in any of my SG's or LP's.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Last discussion I see on here about using a JB on here is from 2016.

Any new experiences out there? Opinions seem pretty divided out there.
What do you think of the JB? Personally I think they are too hot and honky sounding, I suggest 57C or 57C+ depending what you like. Another good one is Burstbucker 2.

alex1fly

Reaction score
I'm interested in this topic. My SG has 57 Classics and sounds great, really no issues with the tone except for the fact that the guitar sounds mean and wants to be played mean, and I have a JB laying around that I bought and haven't installed in anything. So I'm curious about what a hot pickup like the JB or Custom would sound like in it.