SG 61 Aged Cherry.

Gruder

Reaction score
I ordered a brand new Exclusive Aged Cherry Standard with gold hardware and the nut slot under the .046 string was barely there. The string was about .08" above the first fret and barely in a slot. It was glaringly obvious as soon as I took the guitar out of the case. So, I exchanged it immediately. I got the replacement today and it had gouges inside the lower horn. Looked like a bad sanding or polishing accident. So it's going back tomorrow. The guitar lists at $2099. The Aged Cherry looks amazing with the gold hardware so I'm exchanging again. And I really loved the necks on both guitars. I thought Gibson was all about quality lately? This is my 1st Gibson purchase in about 10 years. I won't accept a $2000 guitar with defects without a huge discount and the staff at this online dealership isn't offering me that. They gave me a $20 set of strings with my 1st exchange. I'm wondering if I should try Gibson direct? Any opinions or advice is welcomed.

Norton

Reaction score
are you buying it to look at or to play?

I mean... if you like the guitar but it has a scratch....just play it and that scratch will dissolve into the background of a million scratches.

Esp... if you're getting a discount off the top. But what do I know? I have never cared about scratches, digs or dents on guitars.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I would have stuck with the first one, Nut slots are part of my initial players set up, and slots that are not deep enough is preferable to slots that are too deep to start with. A little extra meat gives you something to remove and get the action where you want it.

Players set up is a very personal thing for each player. If there was only one set of specs that was "correct" they could mass produce it, but if you want the best playing guitar possible for YOU it means they need to be building something that can be custom fitted with a little filing here and there.

I'll be honest, factory installed scratches on a $2000 guitar would bug me a little bit, I can't argue with Norton's analysis that if you play the darn thing it's all going to come up as "character" in the end. If I can get a few bucks off for an otherwise nice guitar because of some scuffs I would have to at least consider it... It all comes down to what I want and how close I can afford to get to it. :D

Gruder

Reaction score
are you buying it to look at or to play?

I mean... if you like the guitar but it has a scratch....just play it and that scratch will dissolve into the background of a million scratches.

Esp... if you're getting a discount off the top. But what do I know? I have never cared about scratches, digs or dents on guitars.
I'll be working at a discount on the next one, if it's only minor scratches. These were gouges a fingernail gets stuck in. Thanks

Gruder

Reaction score
I would have stuck with the first one, Nut slots are part of my initial players set up, and slots that are not deep enough is preferable to slots that are too deep to start with. A little extra meat gives you something to remove and get the action where you want it.

Players set up is a very personal thing for each player. If there was only one set of specs that was "correct" they could mass produce it, but if you want the best playing guitar possible for YOU it means they need to be building something that can be custom fitted with a little filing here and there.

I'll be honest, factory installed scratches on a $2000 guitar would bug me a little bit, I can't argue with Norton's analysis that if you play the darn thing it's all going to come up as "character" in the end. If I can get a few bucks off for an otherwise nice guitar because of some scuffs I would have to at least consider it... It all comes down to what I want and how close I can afford to get to it. :D
I agree with that logic as well(Norton), but for $2000 I want to put all the scratches on it. Lol. I also agree that I could have filed the nut. Now I'm just curious how many guitars they want to send me with Factory defects. Appreciate your input, I'm just not used to spending that kind of bread on guitars so I might have too high of expectations. Number 3 arrives tomorrow,so , I am hopeful it could be the one. I wish I could go to a shop and play with 10 of them and choose, but, that's not possible.

MR D

Reaction score
I ordered a brand new Exclusive Aged Cherry Standard with gold hardware and the nut slot under the .046 string was barely there. The string was about .08" above the first fret and barely in a slot. It was glaringly obvious as soon as I took the guitar out of the case. So, I exchanged it immediately. I got the replacement today and it had gouges inside the lower horn. Looked like a bad sanding or polishing accident. So it's going back tomorrow. The guitar lists at $2099. The Aged Cherry looks amazing with the gold hardware so I'm exchanging again. And I really loved the necks on both guitars. I thought Gibson was all about quality lately? This is my 1st Gibson purchase in about 10 years. I won't accept a $2000 guitar with defects without a huge discount and the staff at this online dealership isn't offering me that. They gave me a $20 set of strings with my 1st exchange. I'm wondering if I should try Gibson direct? Any opinions or advice is welcomed.
That is what I've been doin the last two guitars I bought...A '70's Tribute Flying V and a Les Paul Special and both arrived just about flawless. The Flying V was $2200 and the Lester Special was $1800 IIRC....and for $4 LARGE, I pretty much want what is promised....an A$$ KICKING GIBSON....and that is what I got direct from the GIBSON dot com web-site.....outside of the Hum in the P-90's, which is the beauty of the beast, both guitars were delivered free of charge and both were set-up pretty much ready to go out of the box !

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It's one of the tough things about building guitars with more hand work as opposed to the machine-perfect Epiphones. Gibson still paints by hand, and polishing/buffing of tight spots like inside the horns would have to be done by hand. I know I struggled to get that same area smooth on my guitar build because the wood grain orientation works against you as well as the tightness.

My Custom Shop SG has some really rough paintwork around the neck joint. The more hand work that's involved, the more room for human error there is. The way I look at it, the little flubs are how you know it was hand-made. In fact, it's only historically accurate that way. Looking at vintage gear, you can find a LOT of factory flaws. And serious ones, I'm talking bridges placed way out of proper intonation range, and that's from the "Golden era" of Gibson in the '50s and '60s.

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
I sent two of those exclusive SG’s back, atrocious QC on them.

DrBGood

Reaction score
After rejecting two expensive items from a company, if I was pissed about what I see as a lack of quality control, I'd look somewhere else.

... the little flubs are how you know it was hand-made. In fact, it's only historically accurate that way.
I love that.

Sootio

Reaction score
It's one of the tough things about building guitars with more hand work as opposed to the machine-perfect Epiphones. Gibson still paints by hand, and polishing/buffing of tight spots like inside the horns would have to be done by hand. I know I struggled to get that same area smooth on my guitar build because the wood grain orientation works against you as well as the tightness.

My Custom Shop SG has some really rough paintwork around the neck joint. The more hand work that's involved, the more room for human error there is. The way I look at it, the little flubs are how you know it was hand-made. In fact, it's only historically accurate that way. Looking at vintage gear, you can find a LOT of factory flaws. And serious ones, I'm talking bridges placed way out of proper intonation range, and that's from the "Golden era" of Gibson in the '50s and '60s.
Absolutely. Why sweat all the microscopic stuff? Most of it is hard to even capture with a camera so it's not exactly sticking out like a sore thumb. I bought my guitars to play. I find the search for flawless guitars pretty damned odd.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I find the search for flawless guitars pretty damned odd.
Not at all. Sign of the times if you ask me. People have no discernment anymore. Disconnected from reality, they expect to live in a dream world where everything is perfectly in synch with their self, their ego, their belly button.

Last edited:

laza616

Reaction score
I dont wanna sound bad or look like i judge someone because its not my intention, just gonna comment on the first post

The 1st guitar was flawless in my opinion, they gave you an opportunity to file the slot as you like it. I think higher end range guitars should come with unfiled nuts, just with the marks where the slots should be filed. Or at least have this option when purchasing - to purchased "virgin" setup guitar..... Everyone can then set it absolutely customized for their liking. Its not that hard task to do. I would accept this option. But really this was pretty funny reason to return the otherwise completely perfect guitar and with as you said a good neck.

The second guitar - i know it bugs a lot of people and i completely understand and accept your reason to expect a perfect guitar for two grand brand new guitar.
But its just a cosmetic flaw....., i can guarantee you, that your guitar will get dings and dents and scratches all over the place in a while after some proper playing. its inevitable. Dings and scratches and all other finish defects are the true soul of the guitar
Its beautiful and it belongs on used guitars. I hate when i see a 40 years old guitar in mint condition. What the hell was the guitar doing the last 40 years? Sitting in the case untouched? I would have been suspicious about the seller.

I hope the third one will be perfect and you will post some pictures and the first impression thoughts

Last edited:

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
Absolutely. Why sweat all the microscopic stuff? Most of it is hard to even capture with a camera so it's not exactly sticking out like a sore thumb. I bought my guitars to play. I find the search for flawless guitars pretty damned odd.
It’s not at all about finding flawless examples (that‘s more or less an unrealistic expectation w/ Gibson, except for some of the custom shop stuff). It’s about glaringly poor QC out of the box, which happens wayyyy too often with USA Gibsons. And I’m a Gibson fan, I own many. But it‘s very frustrating have to weed through so many to find something acceptable.

Siamese

Reaction score
Gibson has always struggled to give us the flawless instruments we crave, and still do it at a price that will keep them in business.

PRS can do a guitar that meets my expectations, i.e. large pieces of tone wood and high end finish quality with naught for defects. But, I don't want to spend $4k (and end up with that ridiculous headstock). Of course, PRS found out how difficult it is to remain solvent producing guitars in that price range, hence their S2 and SE ranges.

Whether it matters or not, I like large chunks of mahogany, a set neck, and a 24.75" scale length. That leads me to a Gibson. I currently own a 2021 SG Standard 61, and my current #1 is my 2022 Les Paul Special P90. I can point to any number of flaws in both design and execution, but I love them. There isn't anything I'd rather have, and I can afford anything I want.

So, if Gibson can't always produce those mythical guitars of old, so what. I may have to pick and choose a little, and in the case of both of my current Gibsons, do some tweaking to get them right, but I'm okay with that. When they come out of the case and plug into my amp, something really good always happens.

Gruder

Reaction score
I dont wanna sound bad or look like i judge someone because its not my intention, just gonna comment on the first post

The 1st guitar was flawless in my opinion, they gave you an opportunity to file the slot as you like it. I think higher end range guitars should come with unfiled nuts, just with the marks where the slots should be filed. Or at least have this option when purchasing - to purchased "virgin" setup guitar..... Everyone can then set it absolutely customized for their liking. Its not that hard task to do. I would accept this option. But really this was pretty funny reason to return the otherwise completely perfect guitar and with as you said a good neck.

The second guitar - i know it bugs a lot of people and i completely understand and accept your reason to expect a perfect guitar for two grand brand new guitar.
But its just a cosmetic flaw....., i can guarantee you, that your guitar will get dings and dents and scratches all over the place in a while after some proper playing. its inevitable. Dings and scratches and all other finish defects are the true soul of the guitar
Its beautiful and it belongs on used guitars. I hate when i see a 40 years old guitar in mint condition. What the hell was the guitar doing the last 40 years? Sitting in the case untouched? I would have been suspicious about the seller.

I hope the third one will be perfect and you will post some pictures and the first impression thoughts
I get everything you're saying, really I do. I have the 3rd one now, and it was flawless except for a the fact that it had a broken volume knob. It was in pieces. Lol. And it was somehow hanging onto the volume pot for dear life. I spun it once and it fell off. I called Gibson customer service and a new knob is on the way. The guitar is otherwise flawless to my limited knowledge. It's going to be with me for life. If you saw the nut on the 1st one you would understand my disappointment, trust me. I don't bash manufacturers, I know how things get done by humans. I can't find and problems with the latest one. It's intonated all the way up and down the fretboard. Couldn't find a scratch on it. I'm not a photographer but here you go. This one has the neck profile I prefer and all my other guitars already feel like strangers. Lol. Except for my Studio with the 60's slim taper. I don't mind setting up guitars, I've changed some pick-ups and wiring, switches,jacks, and tuners, I've never done a nut, but, I plan to on a couple other guitars I own. I don't consider myself an expert at any of it, but, I'm confident enough to figure it out. Thanks for you perspective. I appreciate it. I'm new to this forum and still trying to figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_131105993.jpg
    IMG_20221118_131105993.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20221118_131119385.jpg
    IMG_20221118_131119385.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20221118_131126264.jpg
    IMG_20221118_131126264.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 13

Gruder

Reaction score
I sent two of those exclusive SG’s back, atrocious QC on them.
I got a third one last week, and I am really satisfied with it. Fortunately I have a UPS store about one minute from where I work, but I was getting sick of dropping off guitars every few days on my lunch break. The Aged Cherry is awesome, I always liked the Wine Red Les Pauls with Gold ,but, I have enough Les Pauls, I've been trying for a year to find a SG I could bond with. I finally have one. Don't give up, they're not all bad, only 2 out of 3 from my experience.😂😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_131119385.jpg
    IMG_20221118_131119385.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 4

Gruder

Reaction score
It’s not at all about finding flawless examples (that‘s more or less an unrealistic expectation w/ Gibson, except for some of the custom shop stuff). It’s about glaringly poor QC out of the box, which happens wayyyy too often with USA Gibsons. And I’m a Gibson fan, I own many. But it‘s very frustrating have to weed through so many to find something acceptable.
I got a good one finally. I like Gibsons as well,but, I only own 2 now. I've bought and returned a half dozen over the last 10 years. I've also returned some Mexican fenders and a couple epiphones as well. Luck of the draw

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
I got a third one last week, and I am really satisfied with it. Fortunately I have a UPS store about one minute from where I work, but I was getting sick of dropping off guitars every few days on my lunch break. The Aged Cherry is awesome, I always liked the Wine Red Les Pauls with Gold ,but, I have enough Les Pauls, I've been trying for a year to find a SG I could bond with. I finally have one. Don't give up, they're not all bad, only 2 out of 3 from my experience.😂😂😂
I threw in the towel months ago on this model, I already have three SG’s including a ‘61 from 2020 which is an excellent specimen. This is a guitar I really didn’t need, but I was seduced by the color. Glad you got a winner, hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

Latest posts