SG Classic any differences in models made between 2000 and 2009 ?

Wailing

Reaction score
Hi Folks
Just about to trade a couple of guitars for an SG Classic … The ones I am going to look at range from 2002 to 2009…. Im guessing one of them will feel ‘right’ for me (I prefer thick necks) but is there anything else I should be paying attention to ?I will take my strap to see if there is any neck dive Thanks in advance

Wailing

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Trust your senses... if it feels right it IS right.

Personally I always plan on doing a full player's setup of the neck, action, intonation, and pickup height for best playability. I start by putting a new set of my preferred strings on, and then checking everything in that order, and making adjustments as needed.

Barring anything being broken or damaged in some way, any year will work if you choose the one that calls out to you and set it up properly. :cheers:

Don't sweat "Neck Dive". Most SG's will have it to some extent, but it can almost always be cured simply by choosing a strap with a bit of "grippyness". Avoid those slick nylon backed straps. I would rather have one that feels right and has the look and features I want with a bit of dive than one that doesn't feel right to me.

papagayo

Reaction score
Year 2000 to 2002, Gibson ABR-1 bridge ,

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYS5hZHNpbWcuY29tIiwia2V5IjoiYTE1MjVmOTgzYWM2ZWFiMDUyNzZmMTUyYzIxMDlkYTY4ZTYyNTBkOWRiNDUwODBkNDdlZWFmYzI5ZGU2MTgyMi5qcGciLCJvdXRwdXRGb3JtYXQiOiJqcGVnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjo3MDAsImhlaWdodCI6NTIzfX19

Wailing

Reaction score
Sorry folks, I have another question.. is it routed under the batwing just for P90s, or is there routing for Humbucker sized pickups? Not that I would change them but I’m just wondering

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Yeah that's about it, the bridge changed in 2003, and from 2011-2012 they used Kluson tuners with a slightly higher gear ratio.

They are routed for P90s.

155127277.jpg

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Love my 2008, but if you're a thin neck lover, I don't think you'll be enamored.

Wailing

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I am buying a Classic is the thick neck, plus the P90's :) ..... I used to have an SG Junior and loved it apart from the slim neck... so it had to go :(

Wailing

Reaction score
Last question, will the bell brass ABR and stop bar I had on my 2016 Les Paul tribute fit the SG ?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Good luck in your quest, and it seems to me you are going about it in the right way.
You can ask experienced owners about technical details like the routing and the
neck shape, but you can't ask any of us if the guitar will be right for you.

You need to go there with your strap and play as many as they'll let you.
That's how you know. And it sounds like that's your plan, so I wish you well.

Don't forget to return and report.

papagayo

Reaction score
Did you play a 2010, 2011 or 2012 SG Standard ? SG made those years have a medium C neck profile, the neck is thick on these models.

smitty_p

Reaction score
You can ask experienced owners about technical details like the routing and the
neck shape, but you can't ask any of us if the guitar will be right for you.

As I’ve come to expect, wise words from the good Colonel.

Wailing

Reaction score
Did you play a 2010, 2011 or 2012 SG Standard ? SG made those years have a medium C neck profile, the neck is thick on these models.
Thanks for the recommendation however I am a P90 fan… and think the classics are more likely to ‘hit the spot’ unless you have any other models I should be considering.. thanks again for all of your help… looking forward to ‘rejoining’ the SG clan

Col Mustard

Reaction score
there is one sleeper... it's called the SG special "fifties tribute"
I would LOVE to have one of those.
they were made in 2013, and debut'd to a chorus of "WTF Gibson!"
(everyone knows there were no SGs in the fifties)
SG fifties trib 2013.jpeg
but this is actually an excellent instrument, perhaps with a really dumb name.
But perhaps not... if you look on the back of the headstock (on the 2013 model)
you'll see that Gibson stamped "Prototype" there.

Someone at Gibson found this amusing. Consensus among guitarists who didn't
look closely was mostly negative. So they were made for one year and discontinued.
Ten years later, I find this amusing. And it's an excellent SG with P-90s, plain and
simple rock machine.

Just the kind I like. Guys can make sorehead comments about the lack of binding
or the satin finish, or the lack of a piece of black plastic for a pick guard, but
I wouldn't. I'd snap one of these up if I could find one...

Except that I love my two SG specials right well and don't feel like I need
any more.

Wailing

Reaction score
Hi Folks… thanks again for all of your help, I tried out the SGs and the 2009 was fantastic… neck just the right thickness for me…I had my old Fralin P90’s installed and it sings… I will post photos if you are interested but it looks very much like most of the cherry red SG’s 😀

Latest posts