SG guitar kits that aren't rubbish?

Satellitedog

Reaction score
Since Precision Guitar Kits had to change their SG's body shape to a non Gibson shape, that plainly sucks to be honest, I'm at a loss where I could find a well made, actually mahogany SG kit. I only need the body and neck, hardware and electronics are optional.

Or if you don't know kitmakers, but know about high quality CNC ready 3D models that can be bought or downloaded, that would be even better. I can source the mahogany myself and there are loads of CNC businesses that could probably make the cut (badum tss)

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
SD

satchmodog

Reaction score
I'll have to check who made mine. The body is just OK, and was a mahogany veneer. I was pretty oissed about that bit being left out. But the neck is excellent. Frets are large and well trimmed, unlike the last neck I bought from an overpriced online guitar parts vendor. No idea if it's a sponsor so I won't bash them.

jjudas

Reaction score
Since Precision Guitar Kits had to change their SG's body shape to a non Gibson shape, that plainly sucks to be honest, I'm at a loss where I could find a well made, actually mahogany SG kit. I only need the body and neck, hardware and electronics are optional.

Or if you don't know kitmakers, but know about high quality CNC ready 3D models that can be bought or downloaded, that would be even better. I can source the mahogany myself and there are loads of CNC businesses that could probably make the cut (badum tss)

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
SD
I just looked at the SGs. at Precision Guitar Kits and they look like an SG to me. They are under the "junior" tab.

Lynurd Fireburd

Reaction score
I looked at those Jr kits at precision & was bummed when I saw the change, for the worse, imo.

GFS is just a middle man for all those Chinese kit manufacturers. It's just as easy to go onto any China retailer site & get them for cheaper. I found a Jr but have yet to commit.

Some of the HB equipped SG kits I was tempted by didn't have the stop/tom holes drilled, which was a huge plus to me as I wanted to add a Maestro. ANother plus was the price, & could be returned if it turned out to be a pile. It's spec'd as mahogany body/neck.

The pics look bad, but like I said, the return policy is bulletproof.
51ScKZBO9dL._SL1000_.jpg

Satellitedog

Reaction score
Did you check Guitar Fetish? They use to stock SG bodies and necks.

GFS don't ship to Hungary for some reason (despite it being an EU country). I just checked their SG kit, and while the wood looks okay-ish (pics are low res, and not nearly enough to decide if I like it) it's a multi-piece body, and the glue-job looks cheap and the neck joint seems way too chunky, and even if it looked clean enough, it would need some work to shape it to taste.

I'll have to check who made mine. The body is just OK, and was a mahogany veneer. I was pretty oissed about that bit being left out. But the neck is excellent. Frets are large and well trimmed, unlike the last neck I bought from an overpriced online guitar parts vendor. No idea if it's a sponsor so I won't bash them.

I wouldn't pay for a veneer topped body if I knew beforehand. Thanks for the heads-up.

I looked at those Jr kits at precision & was bummed when I saw the change, for the worse, imo.

GFS is just a middle man for all those Chinese kit manufacturers. It's just as easy to go onto any China retailer site & get them for cheaper. I found a Jr but have yet to commit.

Some of the HB equipped SG kits I was tempted by didn't have the stop/tom holes drilled, which was a huge plus to me as I wanted to add a Maestro. ANother plus was the price, & could be returned if it turned out to be a pile. It's spec'd as mahogany body/neck.

The pics look bad, but like I said, the return policy is bulletproof.
51ScKZBO9dL._SL1000_.jpg

Well, thanks for the info, but the SG pic you've embedded is definitely not what I'd pay for. Veneer top, questionable woods, multi piece body, the contouring would need a lot of work to get close to the original design.
I'd rather get a high quality African mahog, or Sapele body-blank and spend a couple of weeks shaping it at the community workshop 'til it looks right (after doing the same to some cheaper woods) than get an unusable piece and having to return it.
I do actually appreciate the effort PGK put into redesigning their SG, but it just doesn't look right. They probably should have gone the asymmetrical waist (ESP Viper, current Vintage brand VS6s) double cut route, which looks way more balanced, and all the original sculpt/beveling details work on it, and they probably could've gotten away with it from a legal standpoint.

Satellitedog

Reaction score
I just looked at the SGs. at Precision Guitar Kits and they look like an SG to me. They are under the "junior" tab.

The ones currently on the site have the new design. They left a photo of the old, G style kit above one of the SGs, but they state it's the new shape on the product page.

sgluvr

Reaction score
I don't understand why they can't just make the body look like it's supposed to. It's not a complete guitar for sale. I don't think it's any different than a Luthier making a custom guitar out of slab wood. The finished product is still a copyright violation.

satchmodog

Reaction score
Had I known it was a veneer top it would have been a deal breaker. The member who posted that image got the guitar correct of the one I purchased. It needed grain filling to be painted and the edges needed rounding, which played hell with the damn veneer, so I had to back off in certain places. But the neck is overall very nice. It has a few rough edges by the nut and it needs to be cut back to accommodate the pick up. The fire ends are smooth so fare and don't seem to impede my ability to run my hands up and down the neck. I'm going to shape the neck this week and prime the wood, maybe. Still torn about a natural backed satin neck with a black face. So far, the set neck is the rock star of this kit. I threw away all the parts except the bridge and tailpiece and even those I am looking to replace, depending on how good this thing comes out and sounds.

Satellitedog

Reaction score
I don't understand why they can't just make the body look like it's supposed to. It's not a complete guitar for sale. I don't think it's any different than a Luthier making a custom guitar out of slab wood. The finished product is still a copyright violation.

I would agree, but I'm not familiar with US IP protection laws. They may hold a copyright to the designs (and the SG is quite a unique one), like they do with the "open-book" headstock shape.

Another thing is Gibson seem to go after popular, or higher quality IP infringers, like the MIJ clones, PGK (looks like they didn't copyright the Junior shape yet), who provided some boutique makers with the bodies (R'n'R Relics and 42nd street Guitars jump to mind), and JHS Vintage, who provided some pretty nice copies, and still do albeit with the ESP Viper+'61SG crossbreed.

Had I known it was a veneer top it would have been a deal breaker. The member who posted that image got the guitar correct of the one I purchased. It needed grain filling to be painted and the edges needed rounding, which played hell with the damn veneer, so I had to back off in certain places. But the neck is overall very nice. It has a few rough edges by the nut and it needs to be cut back to accommodate the pick up. The fire ends are smooth so fare and don't seem to impede my ability to run my hands up and down the neck. I'm going to shape the neck this week and prime the wood, maybe. Still torn about a natural backed satin neck with a black face. So far, the set neck is the rock star of this kit. I threw away all the parts except the bridge and tailpiece and even those I am looking to replace, depending on how good this thing comes out and sounds.

Glad that at least the neck is nice. I do think that necks are the most important aspect of an electric guitar, but yeah, I'd only pay for something I could actually be proud of all 'round.

Satellitedog

Reaction score
Which one's Billy? Anyway, I don't know whether these builders get anything else but the SG bodies from PGK, but the horns/beveling and the neck-joint are pretty distinctive.

satchmodog

Reaction score
I would agree, but I'm not familiar with US IP protection laws. They may hold a copyright to the designs (and the SG is quite a unique one), like they do with the "open-book" headstock shape.

Another thing is Gibson seem to go after popular, or higher quality IP infringers, like the MIJ clones, PGK (looks like they didn't copyright the Junior shape yet), who provided some boutique makers with the bodies (R'n'R Relics and 42nd street Guitars jump to mind), and JHS Vintage, who provided some pretty nice copies, and still do albeit with the ESP Viper+'61SG crossbreed.

Glad that at least the neck is nice. I do think that necks are the most important aspect of an electric guitar, but yeah, I'd only pay for something I could actually be proud of all 'round.
There was certainly nothing to be proud of with the hardware they supplied, what a load of rubbish. I started a thread in the Luther section recently regarding this project and you can see how the fill and priming turned out. I have to carve the headstock next week and get it taped off for sealing or priming. I'm still torn on how to finish it. I guess with my playing it doesn't matter if is a satin finish or has armadillo hide on the neck.

Satellitedog

Reaction score
I'm going to check your thread out, Satchmo! And a nice player friendly finish will just make you play it more, and help get better. Make it as professional as you can, so you pick it up regularly.

Satellitedog

Reaction score
Thanks, great looking guitars. Check out 42nd Street Guitars too, if you like his stuff.

PAFHumbucker

Reaction score
I'm right in the same boat with you. I was planning on buying a kit from PGK and the kits vanished from the site. I emailed Phil and he told me the new kits would be appearing on the site soon.

syscokid

Reaction score
I'm right in the same boat with you. I was planning on buying a kit from PGK and the kits vanished from the site. I emailed Phil and he told me the new kits would be appearing on the site soon.
Did this happen recently, or a few months ago? I got the same response from Phil a few months ago, and shortly thereafter, the new designs were up on his website.

This is PGK's current SG offering:
Untitled.png

Compared to the kit that I got in November of 2015:
IMG_5570.JPG