Sg Standard Veneer

SG_ROCKER

Reaction score
I haven’t posted here in quite awhile. I’m thinking of getting an SG Standard and really want a cherry model but that veneer is just weird looking. But I got to thinking only guitar players are likely to notice and maybe I’d get used to it after looking at it every day. I could go with ebony which I like but being a big Angus Young fan I really want cherry. Has anyone else had this issue and did you get used to it?

Hector

Reaction score
Honestly, at that price, I would save a bit more and get a Gibson SG Standard....

laza616

Reaction score
Recently i bought another Epiphone SG, this time its a veneer top sg. All my SGs are veneer free. It was odd for me only for the first hour or so. After that i kind of liked it and my wife even said that its my most good looking guitar (because its brown faded finish).
Dont worry about it. I think its not a bad feature or a cosmetic flaw.

SG_ROCKER

Reaction score
Yeah thats still $1100 difference between the Gibson and the Epiphone. The 61 Les Paul fits the bill as to what I want but it’s still out of my price range at the moment. I guess I’ll just have to try the Standard and not worry about the looks or go with the ebony Which I think looks amazing anyway. I had a Gibson SG Standard at one time. I should have kept it.

everdying

Reaction score
get the ebony.
the veneers wouldn't bug me that much if the grain was more honduran...kinda like the actual epi body which i believe is probably still Lauan...
i remember at one point the epi sg vintage had a batch with veneers that almost matched the simpler body grain... instead of the contrasty african veneer that most have...

StevePMo

Reaction score
I just bought the epi inspired by gibson sg standard in cherry finish, and the veneer looks fine to me. It seems to get magnified in videos, but to my eyes, it looks just fine.

3bolt79

Reaction score
The thing that kinda bugs me on the “Inspired By” headstock looks like a camel toe in spandex.

PeterH

Reaction score
Hey, i can relate to what you mean. It can really look weird but i was kinda lucky. The finish of my sg with maestro vibrola is darker then it usually looks on the internet so the veneer doesn't stick out that much. Maybe you'll find a shop where you can look at the very guitar you could end up buying and see for yourself what you like. Good luck with your search.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
I haven’t posted here in quite awhile. I’m thinking of getting an SG Standard and really want a cherry model but that veneer is just weird looking. But I got to thinking only guitar players are likely to notice and maybe I’d get used to it after looking at it every day. I could go with ebony which I like but being a big Angus Young fan I really want cherry. Has anyone else had this issue and did you get used to it?
This confused me. As I did not know Epiphone made an SG. I always heard of them called G400's. No?

Gib is the SG. especially in a Std.

papagayo

Reaction score
The SG Tribute is full mahogany, no veneer.

Temp 48010.JPG

Latest posts