Logan

Reaction score
I'll play. Here is both of my SGs new off the bench:
full

And here they are together:
full

But let's focus on the Fireburst. Electronics wise, she's all stock with the full contact jack, Switchcraft Switch, and CTS pots that came stock on all 2015s in the standard lineup. The robot tuners on it died and I put Hipshot locking tuners on it so I didn't have to drill any holes and go back to stock at any time. I also put a Bigsby B3 on it with a Towner Down tension bar. Nothing too special.
full

The Blackie, she's the newest to the family. She's a Limited Edition 2015 Gibson SGS3. She's stock right now but I will probably rewire her at some point because the pots don't have the best taper. They are pretty jumpy, and it's got 4 conductor '57 Classics, so I probably will put 4 push-pull pots in it. Tone control reverses the phase of the middle, the rest are coil splits for the corresponding pickups. And I will also probably put Kluson Revolution G-Mount lockers on there, as well as a tone-pros locking roller bridge, just to make things play nicer with the Vibrola. But, I got to pay it off first before I do anything with the wiring.
full

Biddlin

Reaction score
neck fix.jpg SGclsc.jpg sgclsm.jpg
'08 SG Classic, white pu covers, gold hardware including Gibson Maestro, switch tip, jack, StewMac roller bridge, Kluson Deluxe tuners and speed knobs.

Skinny Al

Reaction score
Well, I started with this bare bones SGJ
DSC04986_zps8xzbziap.jpg

Gave it a gloss lacquer overspray.
DSC05002_zpstoy4wmr6.jpg

Then routed it for P90's, added a full pickguard to hide the overlapping routs, and tossed on a Bigsby B7 & roller bridge.
DSC05172_zps8slrje3w.jpg

But I wasn't done yet. Ended up routing a bit more and added another P90 along with a 5 ply pickguard.
DSC05782_zps5egyargg.jpg

And there we have it. A gloss finish SGJ with a trio of Lollar P90's and a Bigsby.

So far my favourite customisation in this thread, talk about adding apeal, sound and value.

SG standard

Reaction score
4x Push/Push(not Push/Pull)
That's quite a big deal for a small thing... I had a Yamaha SG700 with push/push - the first guitar I had with coil splitters. Since then I can't understand why manufacturers use push/pull. How easy is it to pull a knob up whilst holding a pick and not actually move the setting it's on? Still, it's so rare for Gibson to furnish the SG with coil splitters, I guess I shouldn't grumble...

I chose a 2014 Standard over the 2013 in part because of the coil splitters. Main mod was a B3 Bigsby & Towner bar plus Göldo roller bridge. I swapped the Min-Etune for a G-Force and added a chrome switch tip. Here with my unmodified 2018 SG Standard HP:
SG_Standard_HP_2016_113.jpg

Skinny Al

Reaction score
That's quite a big deal for a small thing... I had a Yamaha SG700 with push/push - the first guitar I had with coil splitters. Since then I can't understand why manufacturers use push/pull. How easy is it to pull a knob up whilst holding a pick and not actually move the setting it's on? Still, it's so rare for Gibson to furnish the SG with coil splitters, I guess I shouldn't grumble...

I chose a 2014 Standard over the 2013 in part because of the coil splitters. Main mod was a B3 Bigsby & Towner bar plus Göldo roller bridge. I swapped the Min-Etune for a G-Force and added a chrome switch tip. Here with my unmodified 2018 SG Standard HP:
SG_Standard_HP_2016_113.jpg
Love it, good looking couple! I have a roller bridge at the post office waiting to be picked up! Tell me, do you feel or notice any major difference?

SG standard

Reaction score
Love it, good looking couple! I have a roller bridge at the post office waiting to be picked up! Tell me, do you feel or notice any major difference?
It did seem to help with the tuning stability when using the Bigsby - and I didn't notice any downside to installing it.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I used to have this old '69 SG Special modded with Super Distortions and a tune-o-matic

WOc3IJS.jpg

Everything about that guitar is awesome, including the missing dot over the "i".

Last edited:

PAFHumbucker

Reaction score
2012 SG Special Humbucker. The previous owner put in p94s I kept the P94s and...

swapped out the existing pickguard for a bwb guard
added the 4th control knob (I used another SG for the template)
swapped out the bridge for a Chinese tonepros knockoff
added tronical robotuners
witch hat knobs
strap locks
bwb truss rod cover

The biggest thing is all 4 knobs are push-pulls and there is a dummy coil in the little route space under the pickguard. The volume knobs turn the dummy coil on for that pickup. One tone is a kill switch and the other turns on both pickups while the switch is in the lead position. The upshot is I can use the bridge volume pot to control both pickups at once so the noise cancelling is constant at any volume.

uRJhi2nl.jpg

My modified SG future tribute. I added tronical robo tuners, witch hat knobs, super distortions, a pickguard, strap locks and a custom truss rod cover.

tSCBUJVl.jpg

Skinny Al

Reaction score
Well, I started with this bare bones SGJ
DSC04986_zps8xzbziap.jpg

Gave it a gloss lacquer overspray.
DSC05002_zpstoy4wmr6.jpg

Then routed it for P90's, added a full pickguard to hide the overlapping routs, and tossed on a Bigsby B7 & roller bridge.
DSC05172_zps8slrje3w.jpg

But I wasn't done yet. Ended up routing a bit more and added another P90 along with a 5 ply pickguard.
DSC05782_zps5egyargg.jpg

And there we have it. A gloss finish SGJ with a trio of Lollar P90's and a Bigsby.
Still blown away about this one! I just had a thought, imagine if you have a splittable minihumbucker with high output in bridge position or neck, hell, in any position, and add the split/series/phase-mod ala Jimmy Page, I mean, that would be one hell of a guitar, not that it isn´t already!

Latest posts