sgguitarzz

Reaction score
[GALLERY=media, 3750]SG69 by sgguitarzz posted Jul 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM[/GALLERY]

This is my 1969 SG that I bought new in 1969 at the age of 15 and still use. There isn't much original left but the wood lol. I have changed out the tuners to Schallers, the pickups to Dimarzio Super Distortions, Badass bridge, added a preamp, split rhythm pickup switch, speed knobs. Most was done many years ago. It sounds amazing. There is very little this guitar cannot do. I have played oldies, Beatles, blues, Southern rock, classic rock you name it.

MR D

Reaction score
[GALLERY=media, 3750]SG69 by sgguitarzz posted Jul 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM[/GALLERY]

This is my 1969 SG that I bought new in 1969 at the age of 15 and still use. There isn't much original left but the wood lol. I have changed out the tuners to Schallers, the pickups to Dimarzio Super Distortions, Badass bridge, added a preamp, split rhythm pickup switch, speed knobs. Most was done many years ago. It sounds amazing. There is very little this guitar cannot do. I have played oldies, Beatles, blues, Southern rock, classic rock you name it.

WOW, the '69 SG Standard, CLASSIC.Played the **** out of that, yes?..Imma trying to find one of those 100% Stock,or any '60's stock SG Standard.... and put it next to my 2017 SG Standard, also 100% Stock.....and see what the difference is through a clean Stack.....its difficult to find a Stock '69 I can actually play next to the '17 Standard.Been looking for a couple years now.

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
WOW, the '69 SG Standard, CLASSIC.Played the **** out of that, yes?..Imma trying to find one of those 100% Stock,or any '60's stock SG Standard.... and put it next to my 2017 SG Standard, also 100% Stock.....and see what the difference is through a clean Stack.....its difficult to find a Stock '69 I can actually play next to the '17 Standard.Been looking for a couple years now.

Its an amazing guitar that has been my mainstay since I bought it. Thousands of gigs over 52 years and it shows its wear. Not a guitar that was kept under the bed and never played. It sounds very different than my new 61 Standard SG but then everything about it is different. It even weighs about a pound more. The newer SG is definitely brighter while this one has more midrange, drive and presence. Both great guitars. I always kept trying different model guitars over the years thinking it made no sense to have two. I could not have been more wrong.

Carrion

Reaction score
SG_A1.jpg SG_A2.jpg

2017 SG "Faded" T (Traditional) : i.d. - Busy

-BurstBuster Pro pickup set added
- Horse Shoe trem added
-Black Witchtop amp knobs
-Gibson "neck" pickup ring added to bridge humbucker ala "Angus"
-3 Ply truss cover added
- Cream White select knob added (replace Black one)

This is one serious contender :)

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
Here's my 2002 Faded with open pickup covers.

gibson-sg-open-pickup-covers-2-jpg.45002

I like those open covers, very nice with dot inlays, cool result, unusual.

SG Faded 89.jpg

papagayo

Reaction score
Nice upgraded 2013 Standard

Tuners, TRC, M-69 pickup rings, aged nickel pickup covers, 5 ply wide bevel pickguard, Gibson ABR-1 bridge, Vintage repro knobs smooyh top anf Bigsb'.

image_99.jpg

Last edited:

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
My new (stock so far) 2021 SG Standard, with plain truss rod cover (now).
8F11A7A6-1F24-4356-B32F-855535252051.jpeg
Might (probably) will get a set of Kluson tuners I have on hand.
I generally do NOT like Grovers for slop and weight, though these are fine so far.
The guitar doesn’t neck dive, and is easily the best sounding guitar I own. The 490’s work great on this!

cain gessick

Reaction score
stock gibson photo of before: mid 90’s sg all american I.
the only pic i had of mine was a damaged polaroid from 15 years ago.

9838D52D-E984-415E-8A13-E298460328A4.jpeg
mine had heavy body damage and the grain/quality of the wood was never spectacular to begin with, cracked headstock joint and endless paint chips - sat in a gig bag for almost twenty years. started the mods/rebuild in june of this year. i normally play a rebuilt les paul baritone that i finished in august and i wanted something simple/stable and doomy as a higher keyed counterpart for harmonies etc., or just to pick up and play sabbath riffs with.
left the grain open and went with a satin black “ash” finish, stained/bled/oiled the neck with ebony butcher block stain and tru-oil. there was a slight mishap with the tail of the “n” while finish sanding the headstock, but it adds character. removed the original electronics/holes, added a duncan pegasus pup, relocated/recessed the output jack with a recessed barrel jack, added a modded 2014 sg 24 fret pickguard, black metal kluson keystone tuners, graphtech nut/saddles.

after…
81888A90-4E94-4C36-AECD-18C5E05BECC2.jpeg 655FAABF-8BF4-4379-B718-95ED59F2D275.jpeg

MR D

Reaction score
Its an amazing guitar that has been my mainstay since I bought it. Thousands of gigs over 52 years and it shows its wear. Not a guitar that was kept under the bed and never played. It sounds very different than my new 61 Standard SG but then everything about it is different. It even weighs about a pound more. The newer SG is definitely brighter while this one has more midrange, drive and presence. Both great guitars. I always kept trying different model guitars over the years thinking it made no sense to have two. I could not have been more wrong.

COOLIO, that would put the weight on your '69 SG Standard at 7 Lbs. +++ ??? I have always appreciated the heavier SG's more than the lightweights (the 2020-21 'Modern' SG Standards are barely 6 Lbs. and feel like toys after playing a 9-10 Lbs. lightweight Lester)....nothing wrong with either I just prefer a slightly heavier guitar...7-9 Lbs is perfect!
That '69 has the original Pickup's ? T-Tops ? ROCKIN' !

thundersteve

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Greetings from Germany.
thats my SG

1996 SG Special Alpine White/Ebony Fretboard
Mods:
Pickups: Warpigs with Radiator Covers on Bridge and Neck by Bareknuckle Pickups/UK
Hardware: Faber Wraparound Tailpiece with Studs (Nickel Aged) by Faber/Germany
Hardware: Faber ABRL Bridge with Brass Saddles (Nickel Aged) by Faber/Germany
Electronics: complete Harness Gibson SG Prewired Kit Modern Wiring 2x 0.022 uf Bumblebee by Artys Custom Guitar/Austria

I love this guitar.
It's weird but it sent my LP Standard to retirement...

IMG_5934.JPG IMG_5938.JPG IMG_5937.JPG