So… I pulled the trigger.

MR D

Reaction score
Harley Benton guitars are nice and low price. I like this Telecaster-like Prince inspired,

https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_be...iZnIiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJmciJ9

14873925_800.jpg
Wow, thats SHARP !...and not a Fender !
U kno, I always thought the one PRINCE played was a Fender Telecaster but I heard recently its a Hofner ? Whatever it is, it Sounds Great , for a single coil P-Up Guitar, whichever brand it is...Prince may have put a Humbucker in his ? Like Keef did on Micawber.

Grizzlyman

Reaction score
If it sounds good, looks good and feels good - it's good. So hard to say until you play it. In any case chicks won't know the difference so more money for beer for you. Clearly a win.
Haha, hard to fault that logic! I’ll find out about most of those points when it hopefully arrives next week, unless the French fishermen get all militant!!!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Wow, thats SHARP !...and not a Fender !
U kno, I always thought the one PRINCE played was a Fender Telecaster but I heard recently its a Hofner ? Whatever it is, it Sounds Great , for a single coil P-Up Guitar, whichever brand it is...Prince may have put a Humbucker in his ? Like Keef did on Micawber.

“ Takumi Suetsugu, Prince's guitar tech, has remarked that it is the best Telecaster he has ever played. The pickups have been replaced. First, with Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups and later Kinman Traditional pickups. A third pickup was also added under the pickguard for noise cancelling purposes, but this was later removed. “

http://guitarcloud.org/equipment/hohner-madcat

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Interesting D.D., where they Humbucker Pickup's at any point ? I tired to get a close up look from a few vids b4 I posted these questions and it was taking too long.....PRINCE' Telecatser was/is is a HOFNER? (Clarity is what impresses me most on that axe). Thats the same Company that made McCartney's Violin Bass, way back when dinosaurs roamed, yes?

skelt101

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the Jaydee, @Grizzlyman ! I'm going on a two-year wait this month for my Old Boy. It's been tough, but will surely be worth it! Regarding the stock pickup, try it out and make adjustments as needed. It's also fun to do modifications on P90s- much easier than humbuckers, especially if they have covers! When I got the Burgundy SG Special in my avatar, the pickups were a muddy mess! I made some adjustments, swapped out some parts, and now they are awesome!

rocknrollmouse

Reaction score
P-90’s sound the best to my ears out of all the different type of pups that I have used in the past.

I find that swapping pickups of the same type is often a waste of time and money when most of the time all that is needed is a proper height adjustment and turning a few knobs on the amp.

Agreed! I find I often need to adjust a P90 to get it how I like it - height adjustment, then screw heights - from "meh, it's ok" to "hell yes!" it's time well spent :dude:

Latest posts