Strap locks for SG

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I recently just started using these - Grover GP800 Strap Locks.

View attachment 48960

Believe it or nor, my White Falcon actually came with a gold set of these. I've come to like them quite a bit.

Since then, I have put a nickel set on my Strat and a black set on my Jackson. I may get more of the nickel sets for my other guitars.

They have been very reliable on my guitars.

Here's a link on Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GP800N--grover-gp800n-strap-lock-set-nickel
I was wondering how Grover did the Schaller thing. Maybe because Schaller redesigned their collars with a set screw? Either way, those Grover’s look exactly like the old Schaller design.

214DAED4-ED3C-4BC6-A1D3-0A19121B1EAD.jpeg

Maguchi

Reaction score
I just got an Epiphone SG Standard. Do any of you nice people use strap locks on a SG?
Yes. On an SG I use the Schaller/Fender type with the U channel. IMHO the Fender/Schallers work better on SGs because one of the strap buttons is on the back of the guitar where the neck meets the body, and the weight of the guitar sits better in the U channels than putting sideways torque on the shaft in the Dunlop Straploks. For LPs, and Fenders I prefer the Dunlops. YMMV.

Straplocks.jpg

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on this, and ended up with Dunlop Lok strap like someone above posted. However, I ended up using them only on my Bass. My SG, a 2021 Standard, came with oversize strap buttons and I've found that they are big enough I can't pull the strap off even if I'm being intentionally rough with the strap. It took months of wearing it, and pulling at the strap to see if it would slip off, (it never did) but I don't worry about it anymore. I like the elliptical end pins someone posted too. After seeing how well an oversized button works I would go that route if I had small buttons.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I have Shallers on all of my electrics, except the SG. I bought a set for it, put them on and wound up taking them back off and putting the originals back on it. I really can't put my finger on what made me not like the strap locks on the SG, but it was definitely how things felt around the neck joint end pin on the back of the body. I could have worked with it if I wanted to I suppose, but I tend to listen to my gut if my head can't come up with a convincing reason not to.

In thirty years I still haven't had a strap come off the stock SG pins (knock on wood), probably because I am aware and a bit more careful around the possibility without strap locks.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I remembered some V-shaped buttons from the 80’s and searched… Ibanez!

3E0079DF-75B9-4781-BF5C-25A52BD84BDE.jpeg 98B962AD-40E3-4495-A2E6-9C0A7CD2FAC0.jpeg

smitty_p

Reaction score
I was wondering how Grover did the Schaller thing. Maybe because Schaller redesigned their collars with a set screw? Either way, those Grover’s look exactly like the old Schaller design.

I dunno.

All I can say is that I really like them. I would never have thought of them if they hadn't come with my Gretsch.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
there is also one more strap lock method: The PUNK Method....

You go down to some construction site in an urban setting.
You root around on the ground until you find a big washer with a 5/8" hole in it (7 mm).
It's okay if its rusty or bent. The price is zero, unless you get caught, then you run like
hell and come back the next day.

Take your big grubby rusty bent washer home.
You unscrew your guitar's strap screw and pull it off, post and all.
You put the screw through the post, then the washer, then the strap, and screw it back in.
Done.

The guitar strap will never come off, until you unscrew it. You can flip your guitar around your shoulders
like an idiot, and it won't come off. There it is.

The best punk strap to use with this method is an old pink belt, or a rope
or a piece of a bailing twine. If you want to get one of those off your guitar
you cut it with your Buck knife. But don't take that to the airport.
Blue Bass:smile@100.jpeg

MR D

Reaction score
Schallers get my vote ! For $25 you can be confident that the only way the guitar is hitting the floor is if the cheap-a$$ strap you bought snaps in half.....and aND AND..... if that happens: KICK YOURSELF IN THE A$$$ for being a cheapskate and not protecting your GIBSON Guitar the way it deserves to be protected.

Latest posts