Suggestions, experiences with adding Vibrato Bridge?

Gary Nobody

Reaction score
ANY suggestions for best sustain/stay-in-tune Devices here? (Kahler??) I care only about ultimate performance, not Vintage-cool i.e. Bigsby or cost. I don't plan to sell this - waited 4 decades for this SG & it'll be my Partner till I can't play anymore :)

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It may be tough to find a vibrato that is both large enough to cover the bridge and tailpiece holes, and shallow enough to mount on an SG's thin body. A Kahler Flyer will definitely fit the body as shown above, but I don't think it would cover the holes.

Gary Nobody

Reaction score
The Kahler is a plug and play vibrato for a Gibson, very nice part.

View attachment 48300
It may be tough to find a vibrato that is both large enough to cover the bridge and tailpiece holes, and shallow enough to mount on an SG's thin body. A Kahler Flyer will definitely fit the body as shown above, but I don't think it would cover the holes.
Thanx much for detailed reply! I see how it looks & my decades experience with Kahler on my Strat makes me strongly consider this, too :)

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
ANY suggestions for best sustain/stay-in-tune Devices here? (Kahler??) I care only about ultimate performance, not Vintage-cool i.e. Bigsby or cost. I don't plan to sell this - waited 4 decades for this SG & it'll be my Partner till I can't play anymore :)
IMG_20211017_193329729.jpg
Bigsby plus Towner Bar. As for tuning stability just make sure the nut and saddles are properly cut/smooth. No need for locking tuners or roller bridge in most cases. Reversible if wanted. The Towner Bar uses the existing holes and studs from your stop tail therefore being functional and nicer to look at than empty holes.

If you want a roller bridge these GFS Bridges are a direct fit replacement for a Nashville bridge.

Just toss away the base if you choose to.

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Floyd Rose FRX is well thought out.

not as cool looking as a bigsby, but getter looking than some others.

Good point, those were equipped from the factory on the SG CM Black in 2016, and it looks like it would cover the holes.

SGCMB16SEBC1_ELECTRONICS_GLAM.jpg

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
Good point, those were equipped from the factory on the SG CM Black in 2016, and it looks like it would cover the holes.

SGCMB16SEBC1_ELECTRONICS_GLAM.jpg
I missed that model…. Damn…

I have a chrome and a nickle FRX sitting in the closet, I switched my tuna-matics to bigsby‘S.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
If you get a stud mounted Kahler there will be no holes to cover and the routing is very simple.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
IMO, Duesenberg Les Trem II AKA 'Doozy' LT-II......$125....German Engineered, simple Rock-Solid Build, stays in tune as well as can be expected w/tremolo. LT-II a simple drop-in replacement, installs in 5 minutes.

I tried BIGSBY B- 3-5 & 7 and THEY LOOK GREAT, especially the B-5 'Horse-Shoe' on an 'SG', but the BIGSBY just NEVER held tune (even w/correct nut slot width & several different Roller Bridge's. Golden Eagle R.B. =junk, tone KILLER)....The Maestro's I've used were better than the BIGSBY's, but the 'DOOZY' is better than both.

Could not upload a pic.

Last edited:

Norton

Reaction score

Carrion

Reaction score
horseshoe roller trem ...

full of glory ..

Attachments

• tex15.jpg
    tex15.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 3
  • tex16.jpg
    tex16.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 3

MR D

Reaction score
Last edited:

Tah-lee

Reaction score
WOW, there is one BAD-A$$ SG CUSTOM......#OLY $#!T !!!! Whose signature is that ? I always liked the Norlin era SG's, they're a bit heavier...ever weigh that BAD-A$$ ? The GOLD DC Diamond headstock In-Lays are just KILLER !
Thank you so much. I’ve owned it for probably 30 years and it’s tattooed on my forearm from my elbow to my wrist. It weighs 7 pounds 9 ounces. The diamond inlays are gold from age. I wore the finish off the body where my forearm rests.

I attended a master guitar class before a Dweezil Zappa concert and he signed it. He was a really nice guy. When I got home I was telling my wife how cool Dweezil is and apparently I was going on and on about him. She then said with a straight face, “I think you might be gay now”. 🤣 I’m not - it didn’t take.

MR D

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I’ve owned it for probably 30 years and it’s tattooed on my forearm from my elbow to my wrist. It weighs 7 pounds 9 ounces. The diamond inlays are gold from age. I wore the finish off the body where my forearm rests.

I attended a master guitar class before a Dweezil Zappa concert and he signed it. He was a really nice guy. When I got home I was telling my wife how cool Dweezil is and apparently I was going on and on about him. She then said with a straight face, “I think you might be gay now”. 🤣 I’m not - it didn’t take.
U kno, I was gonna guess Frank Zappa as the signature but the 1st name looked too off to be Frank ! Gold from age, interesting, that they were white to begin with..BUT, white guitar, yeah, makes sense...I dig the DCDiamonds when they are GOLD....BUT, they Look great either way, u kno? So, I guess you had some 'WORK' to do w/Wifey after that, eh? Hilarious.... GOOD TIMES AWRIGHT !!! !!!