The All New Not A Real Flying V Build Thread

MR D

Reaction score
I'm going to have to make my own pickguard.

As I feared, nothing lines up using pre-cut ones and the control cavity is the wrong shape.

The pickup cavities are too big for standard pickup rings as well.

View attachment 47941
That is the mark of a GIBSON Custom shop guitar, the Chevron-Style 'String-thru-Body' stop-tail, yes?
I've wanted one for years but they are pricey and you cant add a tremolo to it AFAIK .....

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Getting there.

The lines aren't Rolls Royce perfect but from 6 feet away you wouldn't know.

The truss rod cover is just placed there for the picture, not screwed down yet.

A couple of spots need touching up, then hand sand the thing all over with 3000 grit, then the clear.

The custom pickguard is on order and should be here in a few days.

Still "bricking it" about getting the bridge studs in the right places. Don't want to mess up second time around.

20220502_132246.jpg 20220502_132537.jpg

papagayo

Reaction score
what is that nut??

I think this is a roller nut

IMG_5768-600x450.jpg

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Scored another body today. $100 including shipping.

Mahogany and look like it's got double binding.

This one hasn't been routed for the pickups or the control cavity , so I can do all that myself and fit the chrome vee-piece.

Screenshot_20220503-114811_eBay.jpg

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Still putting the finishing touches to the paint job. The white has reached the "as good as it's going to get" stage, no runs, blotches or fingerprints, nice and smooth, hand wet sanded back with 2000 grit wet and dry. The black will be finished tomorrow. Then the whole thing will be wet sanded with 3000 grit, six coats of clear, then wet sanded with 10k grit before final hand polishing.

The Grover mini tuners have arrived and are ready to be fitted. A clear plastic custom pickguard, which will be painted on the underside, has been ordered, and I'm contemplating making my own trussrod cover out of clear plastic too.

DMT Michael Schenker pickups, all black, have been ordered from Dean. The cream / black ones I have can go in the next one.

All the other hardware is standing by, and I've drawn up a drilling template for the bridge and stoptail holes in CAD. I will print that out 1:1 on a laser printer and stick it down before drilling. Gawd please don't let me mess it up...

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Question:

I'm still waiting for an all black set of pickups to arrive from Dean. They were ordered on May 2nd, but still haven't arrived.

I have a black/cream set, which won't look right in a black/white paint job. I'm planning on saving those for the next one.

I have a black/white neck, but can't find a black/white bridge in Gibson spacing to match. Fender spacing, yes, Gibson, no. And I'm a stickler for the correct pole spacings. It may not matter that much, but there you go.

So...

I also have a set of SD Saturday Night Specials sitting unopened from SD. Nickel or chrome covers, so they'll work. I also have a set of Gibson 57s with nickel covers I pulled from my SG.

Thoughts on either of these in a Flying V body?

MR D

Reaction score
Question:

I'm still waiting for an all black set of pickups to arrive from Dean. They were ordered on May 2nd, but still haven't arrived.

I have a black/cream set, which won't look right in a black/white paint job. I'm planning on saving those for the next one.

I have a black/white neck, but can't find a black/white bridge in Gibson spacing to match. Fender spacing, yes, Gibson, no. And I'm a stickler for the correct pole spacings. It may not matter that much, but there you go.

So...

I also have a set of SD Saturday Night Specials sitting unopened from SD. Nickel or chrome covers, so they'll work. I also have a set of Gibson 57s with nickel covers I pulled from my SG.

Looking good C.F....LOOKIN GOOD !!! Yeah, don't **** it up...I'm pretty good at that ! If it has strings (OR WHEELS)...I CAN **** IT UP/RUIN IT !!!

Imma sure you will be FINE, just remember: MEASURE TWICE...DRILL/CUT ONCE !!!!

MR D

Reaction score
Question:

So...

BTW, where do you get your plastics ? Allparts is usually good but lately out-of-stock as is PLT...I've been looking for a standard EXPLORER PICK-GUARD and been comin up CRAPS for my efforts...... a Silver Metallic standard PG for 2018 EXPLORER 'ELITE' should be EZ to attain...BUT NO, Dang SCAM-PANDEMIC !

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
My all black MSG pickups have been running late, but Dean finally shipped them today. As a "sorry they're late" one pickup is apparently coming in a box autographed by some German geezer...

Latest posts