The best “Tele on steroids” PAF style bucker?

Reaction score
I really dig the 57 classics in my SG but I’ve always wanted to capture that perfect “Tele on steroids” low output PAF sound! Maybe I already have it? But, what pickups have you settled on that you believe are the definitive representation of that sound?

Bob Womack

Reaction score
Weeelllll... I can't tell you about a low-output pickup that does it but I can tell you that I've got a Les Paul that sounds like the legendary Tele on steroids. However, the pickups are the hottest in my group of guitars. That is a 2018 LP Standard with Burstbucker Pro pickups. They are powerful and have a midrange notch that makes 'em bark like a Tele with that bright articulation. These particular ones feature four-wire output and the guitar allows you to tap the pickups. I almost always use them in the normal humbucker config.

01lpstoresm.jpg

Bob

Bob Womack

Reaction score
Isn't it called coil splitting, since it's not actually "tapping" a section of a coil ?
Gibson called it tapping for one reason or another. They actually take the output of one coil and EQ it on this guitar.

Bob

DrBGood

Reaction score
Strange. I looked it up and it seem the do both. They split the coil and tap in the other one to reduce the noise.

Latest posts